Jonathan Toews comeback not happening?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Realm

Jun 5, 2005
I don't think he's returning. What would be the point? He's had a great career, made a lot of money and won three Cups.

What reason does he have for resuming his NHL career?
Same reason guys like Corey Perry keep playing. They are competitive, and they are hockey players and its all they have done.

Reactions: GoldenKnight

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
I don't think he's returning. What would be the point? He's had a great career, made a lot of money and won three Cups.

He enjoys playing hockey at the highest level in the world?

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015

Well, if you love playing hockey above all else, why would you quit? But there's extremely few NHLers that love playing hockey after 10+ years in the league.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

Basically this he is a very old 36 in hockey years.

Well, if you love playing hockey above all else, why would you quit? But there's extremely few NHLers that love playing hockey after 10+ years in the league.
There comes a time when the body speaks more than the mind wants it to do.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Long covid can be a bitch. I had a coworker whose stamina was completely shot for nearly a year afterwards, so I can only imagine how difficult it must be to work yourself back to competing at such a high level physically.

I'm going to guess that your coworker is not a pro athlete that would have access to the best trainers, equipment, food etc.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
It was always a long-shot he’d come back.

He had already taken a ton of time off, felt good enough to come back, then almost immediately felt like crap again.

Long COVID symptoms are a bitch. Hard to be a pro athlete with lingering vascular damage.
Sutter also suffered with long covid and basically never played again after 2021 and retired recently. Toews is probably going to officially announce his retirement at some point I'm sure of it. At 36 being off for another year is going to be pretty rough trying to find a gig as a 37yr old and having to take PTO's to prove he can contribute, I don't think players that have earned as much as he has and already won cups tend to do that.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011

Chronic Inflammatory Response Syndrome (CIRS)

From what I understood at the time, basically the guy's body was perpetually exhausted from the grind of a NHL career. He couldn't recover properly and perpetually felt fatigued. Long COVID is bad enough if you're an accountant living in the suburbs, but being a pro athlete where you physically exert yourself for a living during the season and then have to spend the offseason getting into even better shape. Tough task without question.

I hope he retires. He gave the Blackhawks his best years and we got a Dynasty out of it. He's a legend in Chicago.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I think if a true cup contender approached him and wanted to bring him in to anchor the third or fourth line while bringing a veteran presence he might be interested but at the same time he already has three cups and has the chance to retire as a one club man.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
I looked up his career earnings and he's made about $160 million in his career. The guy has all the money in the world and has won and achieved everything under the sun. I would be surprised if he came back, only to be some teams 4th line center.

Last edited:

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

Chronic Inflammatory Response Syndrome (CIRS)

From what I understood at the time, basically the guy's body was perpetually exhausted from the grind of a NHL career. He couldn't recover properly and perpetually felt fatigued. Long COVID is bad enough if you're an accountant living in the suburbs, but being a pro athlete where you physically exert yourself for a living during the season and then have to spend the offseason getting into even better shape. Tough task without question.

I hope he retires. He gave the Blackhawks his best years and we got a Dynasty out of it. He's a legend in Chicago.
I hope he plays a couple more years. I wouldn't mind seeing him in Edmonton.

I also hope that anyone that sees a COVID link as an opportunity to spout their anti-vax nonsense gets a flat tire on their way to work in the morning.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
I looked up his career earnings and he's made about $160 million in his career. The guy has all the money in the world and has won and achieved everything under the sun. I would be surprised if he came back, only to be some teams 4th line center.
I think he will probably just retire and end up working for a team wherever he decides to plant his roots. I don't recall him being married, haven't looked nor have I heard he had kids or anything so he could stay in Chicago and just have an easier in with the team. I don't see him actively choosing to want to live in Winnipeg to work for the Jets, I mean you're retired with a decent career earnings to sit back on and have had a year off to just try to heal and its clear it's not really progressing in the way he had hoped because at 36 there's only so much time left. I think for the type of player he is, if he were to be heathy and train, he could sign before the cut off late in the year and join Kane in Detroit or something which would I guess be fun for his and Kane's fans.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Johnny boy Toews has no reason or incentive to come back. What for? He has nothing to prove and is a top 50 player of all time.

I think he will probably just retire and end up working for a team wherever he decides to plant his roots. I don't recall him being married, haven't looked nor have I heard he had kids or anything so he could stay in Chicago and just have an easier in with the team. I don't see him actively choosing to want to live in Winnipeg to work for the Jets, I mean you're retired with a decent career earnings to sit back on and have had a year off to just try to heal and its clear it's not really progressing in the way he had hoped because at 36 there's only so much time left. I think for the type of player he is, if he were to be heathy and train, he could sign before the cut off late in the year and join Kane in Detroit or something which would I guess be fun for his and Kane's fans.

I could be wrong but from what I remember he has a girlfriend but is not married. I agree, he's best going right into a coaching role or maybe be a GM. I could see him being a pretty good head coach. Maybe for his beloved Hawks if he's willing to. Toews is an icon in Chicago, they should build a statue of him there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad