Jonathan Marchessault feels burnt by Vegas

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Wish more teams would act this way.

You’re not catering to the players, they’re the ones getting paid.

You are catering to the fans who pay all of these salaries.

The players currently run the show in the NHL, the pendulum needs to swing back some towards the organizations having power over their own rosters.

Its entitled to believe that you come before the team, why any 34 yo would be shocked they aren’t being resigned just proves it

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
Seems like a narrative that was already attempted to be forced earlier this summer. Whether or not he feels burned, who cares? That's his thing to deal with.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
One of their top players in their short franchise history has his contract end, Vegas barely has any contact with him about an extension prior to this nor do they tell him about their plans with him, Free agency hits and Marchessault realizes they didn't have loyalty at all with him and he understands it, isn't happy about it, but understands it and signs elsewhere.

This wasn't some rental at the deadline, this is a player that was one of their top players each year and a huge part of their finals runs and their cup victory, you'd think they'd at least give him the respect of letting him know what the plans were.

This is pure hogwash

Players are all over the place saying “I don’t know, my agent is handling that”

“They’re talking to my agent, I’m just playing the games”

“That’s my agents job”

And want zero accountability for the contracts THEY SIGN, but as soon as a team treats you the same way you’ve been treating them “talk to my agent” then it’s not acceptable?

Come on, man

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
If he felt so strongly about that sort of treatment he should've requested a trade after Fleury was traded.

As a Leafs fan where we put the players first (1st-9th and at 10 comes the fans) and not the fans by icing the most competitive roster no matter how you do it, I respect the VGK organization for being ruthless in trying to create the best product for their fans.

At the end of the day they won a cup doing that and that's the bottom line.

Reactions: VivaLasVegas

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
There isn't really anything we can point to that is purely in the best interests of players and not the team. The hometown discount also benefits the player in the sense that they would very much like to win the Stanley Cup, and taking less money provides an advantage towards that.

If the sole goal of the players was to earn as much money as possible, then sure. But for a player who makes $100M in their career, they would probably be willing to pay reduce that by close to $10M if it meant the difference between having a Cup or not.

A more equivalent scenario would maybe be players never looking to extend one year out, and always looking for the best situation for each new contract (and seeking shorter term contracts in their prime so they can keep bumping their salary up with the cap). But again, there is a downside to that for players who want stability away from the rink and to not have the uncertainty of where their family will be next year looming over them constantly.

The owners installed the salary cap, not the players. The players job is not to manage the cap. They have no say in how any extra cap space from their "hometown discount" is spent. It's all theoretical that giving up millions of dollars will somehow benefit them.

You can make an emotional argument that owners and GMs do owe players something for all their sacrifice and you can make an emotional argument that giving up millions of dollars benefits players. But ultimately it's a business. That works both ways.

It's silly for fans to hold players to some extra obligation to do what's best for the team and not the ownership and management.

Reactions: VivaLasVegas

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
1726152543973.png

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I will be nice. ON this board for 3 years all we have talked about is the fact the Vegas wants to win and they do not care WHO the have to piss off to do it.

The players are now realizing that now. When they are close to the heart? VEgas loves them but edge away from their heart? You sleep with the fishes

ShootIt

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 8, 2008
I mean, Tampa just let Stamkos go and signed a bunch of other players with the money they could of kept him with.

Heart and soul of the team, been there since late 2000's. It is what it is. Teams can't give out Kobe retirement deals for nostalgia.

horner

May 22, 2007
Everyone and anyone is expendable to that organization. Their destination appeal will wear off if players can’t rely on the organization committing to them the same way they commit to them when signing players.
Same with TBay
Now that they aren't a cup contender

I mean, Tampa just let Stamkos go and signed a bunch of other players with the money they could of kept him with.

Heart and soul of the team, been there since late 2000's. It is what it is. Teams can't give out Kobe retirement deals for nostalgia.
He also gave them a deal when he signed yrs ago.

NYRfan85

D'oh!
Jun 2, 2020
South Carolina
A team doesn't want to re-sign someone going into free agency? I'm shocked, shocked I tells ya.

Honestly, good on Vegas for not wanting to overpay/over-term him. It's a business at the end of the day.

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
I completely agree with you, but i'm worried that burning all the bridges with players as a company policy might come back to haunt them.
They won a cup, at the end of the day, that's all that matters.

You look at other expansion franchises like SJ/Columbus/Nashville/Minnesota/Arizona/Ottawa/Atlanta(Winnipeg) who collectively have a century of not winning and none of them were close to as shrewd as Vegas.

They won and that's all that matters, maybe it bites them in the future, but they have a cup and that's more than you can say for even some of the more storied franchises for decades+.

Sega Dreamcast

party like it's 1999
May 6, 2009
Charlotte
Yet another instance of something said on podcast being taken out-of-context for clickbait and forced controversy.

"In Vegas, I called the GM (Kelly McCrimmon) on Friday, I called the president (George McPhee) on Saturday, I'm like, 'What's going on, what do you guys want to do? I need to know, are you guys actually letting me go for real?' Then, when Sunday showed up, nothing was budging," Marchessault said, adding that he was asking for a four-year contract but the Golden Knights were offering three.

"There's definitely no loyalty but, at the same time, you're there to win. I don't mind that mindset, personally," Marchessault said. "Obviously, I'm disappointed that I left. I didn't have any real things to consider and that's what disappointed me. I thought I had done good enough in the past seven years for them that I could deserve what I deserved. I was not asking for something outrageous, I was not trying to steal the bank or anything."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad