Jonathan Marchessault feels burnt by Vegas

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bear of Bad News

"The Worst Guy on the Site" - user feedback
Sep 27, 2005
1726099661347.png

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
All LTIR cases are reviewed by the league. You don't know how the CBA works.

"And despite how fishy some people think it is that a player could miss a long period of time but could suddenly be healthy enough to play at the start of the playoffs, the league’s process in investigating the legitimacy of injuries for players placed on LTIR is rigorous."

“We have an independent, third-party physician review their medical records in detail,” he said, “and in-person examinations where necessary.”

Vegas isn't breaking the rules, your team just sucks and that makes you jealous.

Yeah sure, because the league has always maintained some sort of unbiased approach to things, to be that daft is special.

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
Yeah sure, because the league has always maintained some sort of unbiased approach to things, to be that daft is special.
Unless you have actual evidence with link(s) you're nothing but a commonplace internet conspiracy theorist that no amount of facts will convince otherwise.

Put up or shut up.

And no, "trust me, bro" isn't a source. Additionally, considering you went right for an ad hominem means you almost certainly don't have anything of substance, so I won't be holding my breath.

You were saying something about being special?

Last edited:
Reactions: CaptBrannigan

12ozPapa

Make space for The Papa
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2012
Why is this “news”? Vegas functions in a brutal way, but you can’t argue against their success. Furthermore, just as with any employer, they owe you nothing. Sounds like some fall for the pizza parties and “we’re a family” talks.

Reactions: VivaLasVegas

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
There's been a trend in recent years, in major sports in general, to invest more in potential rather than reward loyalty (which is was a predominant mindset for many years). When a guy is in his mid-30s, you'd be foolish to expect more of the same thing. Most guys this age regress and sometimes very quickly. The exception to this would be a fan favorite who's an icon and a staple in the community, which Marchessault is not. I think owners with big pockets used to think the old school way, but they've come around more to the scout's mindset, so there's a different, more savvy kind of money management mentality. Maybe it's the influence of Moneyball, call it Moneypuck.

It makes way more business sense to give a 22-year old guy a big contract even if he hasn't achieved anything yet, than to pay an aging Conn Smythe winner the big bucks. You'll get burned sometimes, but history shows that you'll get burned even worse with older players. Exceptions like Joe Pavelski are rare.

This being said, Marchessault is not wrong to feel this way, he's just looking at this from a different standpoint. I'm seeing some people mock him for talking about his feelings, saying that "Vegas doesn't owe you anything." Maybe, but everyone wants to be appreciated in the workplace, especially when they do an awesome job. Put yourself in his shoes. When it's all just about the money, it's sort of a bummer.

Reactions: LiseL

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I doubt the destination appeal of Las Vegas will ever wear off.

Vegas already has the reputation of not having any loyalty to their players, it hasn't hurt them yet, they still manage to attract talent. Certain markets could kick players in the groin on their way out and it wouldn't effect their ability to attract good players. I think Vegas is one of them.

Jonathan Marchessault played here 7 years, they stuck with him the entire 6 year deal they signed him, after giving him his chance to make it that several other teams didn't want to give him.

Even then, Marchessault said Vegas offered him the money Nashville did but it wasn't structured how he wanted it, so he chose to leave on his own.

Vegas management was still confident of a deal getting done right up until a day or so before free agency.

This was after Vegas kept almost the entire Cup winning team together last season amid a cap crunch, famously using LTIR to do so.

There's no lack of loyalty from Vegas here, if anything Marchessault is the one who didn't want to do any favors to help the situation and then chose what he felt was best for him. That's fine, there's nothing wrong with him making that decision but there's no Vegas disloyalty here.

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
I'm confused by this whole thing.

Vegas wanted to keep him, they just didn't want to offer the term/money he was asking for, so he took more term/money elsewhere. It sounds like they were offering three years at an unspecified amount of money.

How is this letting him go?

For the record, I don't mind when franchises are willing to *slightly* overpay to keep fan favorites/longtime contributors, especially in the case of a young franchise with their all-time points leader who helped lead them to a cup, but I also don't blame a franchise if they're still in win-now mode and feel like they can't afford to spend any amount of money on sentimentality.

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
"Don't you worry Jonathan, you're a big part of our plans going forward"? :D
It's a business first and foremost. They got the best out of him. He got a ring. Seemed like a good relationship. lol

One of their top players in their short franchise history has his contract end, Vegas barely has any contact with him about an extension prior to this nor do they tell him about their plans with him, Free agency hits and Marchessault realizes they didn't have loyalty at all with him and he understands it, isn't happy about it, but understands it and signs elsewhere.

This wasn't some rental at the deadline, this is a player that was one of their top players each year and a huge part of their finals runs and their cup victory, you'd think they'd at least give him the respect of letting him know what the plans were.
So they should blow smoke up his ass when they don't intend to re-sign him?

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
It’s a business and his name isn’t mcdavid, draisaitl, mackinnon or back in the day a bit but Crosby, Ovechkin. Only a few get loyalty treatment in the nhl. If he really had hurt feelings it’s his own fault. If he had agreed to sign for less money that would be one thing but he did the right thing and got the money for his family. Loyalty probably existed more 25-30 years ago when free agency wasn’t what it is now and entry level players are demanding to be traded before playing a game.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Vegas probably would have kept him if they felt like they had a decent future, but Kelly knows the writing is on the wall for the core they have now and they can't just go wasting money on more guys in their mid-thirties.

Reactions: VaporTrail

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Which is true. But players also owe franchises nothing, like giving a "hometown discount" yet many fans expect them to.
There isn't really anything we can point to that is purely in the best interests of players and not the team. The hometown discount also benefits the player in the sense that they would very much like to win the Stanley Cup, and taking less money provides an advantage towards that.

If the sole goal of the players was to earn as much money as possible, then sure. But for a player who makes $100M in their career, they would probably be willing to pay reduce that by close to $10M if it meant the difference between having a Cup or not.

A more equivalent scenario would maybe be players never looking to extend one year out, and always looking for the best situation for each new contract (and seeking shorter term contracts in their prime so they can keep bumping their salary up with the cap). But again, there is a downside to that for players who want stability away from the rink and to not have the uncertainty of where their family will be next year looming over them constantly.

MoneyManny

Jun 28, 2021
I love the way Vegas does things. They are agrresive and do whatever it takes to win. Players who sign there know they have to perform or they will get unceremoniously dumped at the first chance. It puts pressure on players to not get complacent. Nothing wrong with that.
I completely agree with you, but i'm worried that burning all the bridges with players as a company policy might come back to haunt them.

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
Maybe I'm a masochist but this would attract me as a player if I wanted to win.
I can see why. Players who stay (I.e. outperforming their contracts) can be confident that they’d be surrounded by talent. Also creates a sense of accountability for each player.

As a Leafs fan who has watched this team run it back five too many times, I can appreciate the turnover.

Reactions: BluesyShoes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad