Speculation: Jonathan Huberdeau is open to waiving his NMC to go to a contender

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

olli

Most unbiased user
Dec 2, 2016
Canada
Except no contender wants him even if Calgary retained half of his contract which they wouldn’t do

benfranklin

Jun 29, 2024
Maximum 50% retention puts him on a 7x$5.25M contract? I doubt there is any team in the NHL which takes even that for free? :dunno:
Even in his awful years, he was a lcok for 50+ points. Teams would easily pay $5.25M for that. And multiple other teams could afford to give him more talent to work with in hopes of returnng to his Florida form.

Avalanche are a quick thought. Could easily fit him in with this top 6 and he'd have talent to play with.

Drouin - Mackinnon - Rantanen
Landeskog - Mittlestadt - Nichushkin
Lehkonen - Huberdeau

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
I am trying to find an angle that makes sense, but it's difficult. Let's say Huberdeau has a resurgence this season.

Gallagher+Josh Anderson+Carey Price (LTIRetired) for Jonathan Huberdeau.

Gallagher and Anderson cost a combined 12M, Huberdeau and a warm body (775k+) costs 11.25M. That makes the trade cap neutral for the next 3 seasons.

Calgary then needs to retain, the question is, how much? If Huberdeau does have a resurgence, Montreal likely sends Calgary an asset, which is the other question, how big of an asset?

If Calgary retains, the trade still makes sense for them if this is a rebuild that they are going into. The reason is, Anderson and Gallagher are NOT buyout proof. Looking at the numbers starting in 2025-2026, they could buy both out and only be on the hook for four years of cap at substantially less than what Huberdeau cost them. Outside of 2026-27 where both buyouts cost a combined approx. 7.7M, they will only cost approx. 3.16-3.65 per. So even with some retention, they're looking at a substantial discount from 10.5M x 6 years.

I assume Price is insured. That component is more about getting Montreal out of LTI.

TotalHomer

Jan 3, 2022
For 7 years? He's 31 and not exactly trending in the right direction. I am doubtful.

Yeah the term is the killer. Nobody would touch him even with 50% retained because he's a winger who doesn't bring anything to the table if he isn't scoring. And even his points are heavily assist based so he relies on other people for his production. He would have to be minimum PPG even at 50% to make me want to have him back in Florida.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
The guy who put up 115 points two years ago? Yes, yes I am.

He’ll bounce back. I know it’s tempting to pretend he’s going to be a 50 point guy from here on out because it’s funny, but I don’t think it’s realistic.
When was the last time a 31yo who’s clearly declining suddenly came back and improved? Especially back to a 1st line level.

He doesn’t even look good on the ice.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
When was the last time a 31yo who’s clearly declining suddenly came back and improved? Especially back to a 1st line level.

He doesn’t even look good on the ice.
I'm a Flames fan and I generally agree with you. I don't see him ever returning to 100+ point play. The best you could hope for is 80ish and even then I'm doubtful. I think he'll end up somewhere around 65 this season because the PP will be better. The problem with that is all he brings you is offense. He's not contributing in other areas.

Reactions: nbwingsfan

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
This guy was soooo good in his last year with Florida putting up 115pts. Some of those passes are flat out incredible. He had so much more speed but lost it when he arrived in Calgary.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
The writing was on the wall, and he still signed that contract.

Had to sign it. He and his representation knew very well they had no lane at repeating that 115 point season, and capitalizing on a desperate team in a tight spot was the only way he could maximize his earnings potential.

Now he wants to wiggle his way into moving with that contract, but it ain't happening. Not for years and years. Even if he scored 80 points this year, I doubt any time wants anything to do with that contract.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Nervousbreakdown

Jul 3, 2017
Maximum 50% retention puts him on a 7x$5.25M contract? I doubt there is any team in the NHL which takes even that for free? :dunno:
teams would absolutely take it for free. But its not gonna be free, because thats a 7 year 5 mil dead cap hit on the flames and even a rebuilding team cant stomach that.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
No thanks. I'd rather the Flames just ride out the Huberdeau contract than retain for him and take Nurse

Calgary would be paying a worse player more money essentially. Not a chance.

Additionally - I have zero doubts that Huberdeau would be a 90 point player in Edmonton. He's a good player who hasn't found his fit on a team seriously lacking the high skill for him to compliment.

It would need be to something bigger, like Huberdeau + Weegar/Andersson for Nurse + balancing salaries. The only thing that works money wise though is Nurse, Kulak, and Kane (17.1 M) for Huberdeau and Weegar (16.75) and I don't think the Flames consider that since it does nothing for their rebuild.

Wow, this is worse for Calgary. They would being taking on Nurse for 12+ million a year.

From bad to WORSE, lol

Why would Flames do this when even their 7th dman is better than Nurse?? So they will be paying nurse even more? 13 mil per year for Nurse? Good lord 🤣

My post was a reply to someone saying no one would take Hub at 30%, to which I gave an example to the contrary. I never said Calgary would or should make that deal. We can all agree Calgary would be foolish to even consider it, but that wasn't really the point.

Reactions: Bond

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
giphy (11).gif

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
The guy who put up 115 points two years ago? Yes, yes I am.

He’ll bounce back. I know it’s tempting to pretend he’s going to be a 50 point guy from here on out because it’s funny, but I don’t think it’s realistic.

Being realistic is acknowledging he's had back to back 50 point seasons. He's 31 on a team that's traded away talent. He's in a situation where he can't even be expected to match that prior production just based around the difference in system/roster between the 21-22 Panthers and the 24-25 Flames.

To be more specific. 21-22 Panthers 340 goals. 23-24 Flames 253. Huberdeau who's primarily a set up guy isn't seeing that level of scoring again if being realistic.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Garbageyuk

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
He took the cash over the cups. In return he stays in Calgary like it or not.

The only way I see his contract being moved is if one worse or equal value goes the other way. But if he wants to be traded out of Calgary he best keep putting up those points and maybe teams will take notice

But if I was him and was desperate to win a cup, I'd wait to be bought out and sign at a cheap contract with the best team in the NHL.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Ledge And Dairy

Being realistic is acknowledging he's had back to back 50 point seasons. He's 31 on a team that's traded away talent. He's in a situation where he can't even be expected to match that prior production just based around the difference in system/roster between the 21-22 Panthers and the 24-25 Flames.
No being realistic is noticing the massive difference in points per game between the first and 2nd half of the season. Before January Huberdeau had 16 points in the first 36 games, that's a 0.44 PPG. From January 1 on he had 36 points in 45 games, that's a 0.80 ppg. No one's expecting over 100 points again but a near PPG is well within reason

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Huberdeau who's primarily a set up guy isn't seeing that level of scoring again if being realistic.
Where did I explicitly say he’d return to being a 115 point player? I said he’d bounce back, meaning return to form as the top line ~60-80 point player he’s essentially always been. And I never said that was good value for the contract either. We’re getting lost in the weeds here. Go back and read the entire conversation before you butt in trying to go off on tangents.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad