Rumor: Jonathan Huberdeau is open to waiving his NMC to go to a contender

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
No contender can absorb that contract without giving spare parts back. It would be a Hunerdeau for junk trade
Very hard deal to make not just because of the money, but also because of the term left. I think the only possible chance something happening is if another team is involved, and then still a longshot.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Very hard deal to make not just because of the money, but also because of the term left. I think the only possible chance something happening is if another team is involved, and then still a longshot.
Yeah, I don’t see any simple solutions to trading Hubey

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Who’s the top line player?

Surely you’re not talking about Huberdeau anymore ?
The guy who put up 115 points two years ago? Yes, yes I am.

He’ll bounce back. I know it’s tempting to pretend he’s going to be a 50 point guy from here on out because it’s funny, but I don’t think it’s realistic.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
some of these retention numbers are not realistic

You think calgary owners are gonna mail out these checks every July 1st for a guy to play else wear?

$3.5
$4.75
$4.75
$3.5
$4.75
$2.5

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Canucks should sign him with 50% retention by Flames. I feel Huberdeau is fine at 5 or 6 mil

lol I bet he is. Good luck fitting that cap hit on a contending team
Well Flames have to retain 50% with picks, thats the only way he will be traded. No team is crazy to trade for him at full cap value.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
If Calgary ate 50% of his salary and attached a 1st round pick and a prospect you might get a bit of interest from someone like Pittsburgh. They did the soft rebuild type deals taking back Glass and Kevin Hayes. That's about as close to a "contender" as I can see Huberdeau getting.

That's not to suggest Calgary should do that deal, but that's where I see the value.
I would not mind Canucks getting him at 50% rate. Him and Petey could work grrat while Debrusk would make them great defensively and add grit.
Resign Boeser and Canucks would have a great top 6 for years to come

Lekker-Miller-Boeser
Hubs-Petey-Debrusk

Very nice mix of grit, talent, playmaking, finesse, shooting ability on each line.

Not much of a rumour. He is stuck in Calgary until he has a few years left and then maybe he can be dumped reasonably

Pretty close between him and Nurse
I say Nurse is the worst contract since he is basically useless. Huberdeau still has talent, he did score 113 points in NHL. Nurse hasnt done anything that would resemble a superstar in NHL 🤣

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Right now the Flames need the contract to reach the floor (If my math is right) so they don't need to attack a valuable pick in order to get rid of him yet.

Maybe in a couple of years when the team starts to mature a bit...
Cap space will be valuable for Flames in 3 or 4 years so unloading Huberdeau to sign long term deals with their younger players would be crucial to their cap structure. Huberdeau is better off on a cup contending team while he still has enough juice versus getting trade 4 years down the road when he might not even be valuable enough to trade even at 50% retention.

The Flames are in the Pacific Division. Every team in that division has a shot at making the playoffs.
So Vegas, Oilers, Canucks are just chopped liver? 🤣

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
The guy who put up 115 points two years ago? Yes, yes I am.

He’ll bounce back. I know it’s tempting to pretend he’s going to be a 50 point guy from here on out because it’s funny, but I don’t think it’s realistic.
the question is bounce back to what though. Two 50 point seasons is scary when considering the cap hit but the situation isnt that much better if he gets 70 points.

He probably needs to get 80-85 points for that contract to have some value.

Nylander got 11.5 million and when he signed the extension he was coming off an 87 point season and 10 points in 11 games in the playoffs.

Petersson got 11.6 coming off a 102 point season

you better hope 50ish points isnt the norm but just like how you are claiming that isnt realistic i also dont think a 25-30 point bump is realistic and thats where the problem is imo.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
the question is bounce back to what though. Two 50 point seasons is scary when considering the cap hit but the situation isnt that much better if he gets 70 points.

He probably needs to get 80-85 points for that contract to have some value.

Nylander got 11.5 million and when he signed the extension he was coming off an 87 point season and 10 points in 11 games in the playoffs.

Petersson got 11.6 coming off a 102 point season

you better hope 50ish points isnt the norm but just like how you are claiming that isnt realistic i also dont think a 25-30 point bump is realistic and thats where the problem is imo.
If he is at 50% retention then he has lots of value getting 50 to 60 points with potential to get more. With the rising cap, 50 to 60 point players will ask for 6 to 7 mil in free agency just like Lindholm.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If he is at 50% retention then he has lots of value getting 50 to 60 points with potential to get more. With the rising cap, 50 to 60 point players will ask for 6 to 7 mil in free agency just like Lindholm.
No team has retained 50% for 7 years. Think it’s like 2 years for anything at 50%. 15% for like 4 years or more like Luongo, Kessel, OEL.
Burns was like 1/3 for 3 seasons.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
To Edmonton:
Huberdeau (30% retained) - 7.350 x 7yrs

To Calgary:
Nurse - 9.250 x 6yrs

Won't happen but Edmonton does this IMO. To be fair - I think what you meant was to received positive value (Nurse is obviously negative). In that case, I think they need to eat at least 40% of his deal, bringing him to down to 6.300. Even then, I don't think they'd get anything substantial. That's more of the 'free - pickup only' number.
Why would Flames do this when even their 7th dman is better than Nurse?? So they will be paying nurse even more? 13 mil per year for Nurse? Good lord 🤣

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
I think a lot of teams take him on at 5 million, easily

however I doubt Calgary is going to commit to that

It needs to be a smaller retention from Calgary and taking on another overpaid player
Yeah not sure why some people on HF think Huberdeau is now ECHL level. He can put up 50 to 60 points at a minimum and thats pretty good for 5.25 mil when you have zadorov making 5 mil as a 5th dman. He will still be a 2nd line winger at a minimum

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
No team has retained 50% for 7 years. Think it’s like 2 years for anything at 50%. 15% for like 4 years or more like Luongo, Kessel, OEL.
Burns was like 1/3 for 3 seasons.
Well i mean thats what it would take to trade Hubs from Calgary. Tough decisions need to be made. I dont think anyone bites at 15% retention unless its a similarly bad contract like Nurse which Flames will obviously not do.

As punishment you should sent him to Anaheim
Anaheim will be his dream come true
Finally will be able to drive his lambo and play without zero pressure or stress in sunny California and sip pina colada at the beach like his florida days. It will be opposite of punishment 😂

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Well i mean thats what it would take to trade Hubs from Calgary. Tough decisions need to be made. I dont think anyone bites at 15% retention unless its a similarly bad contract like Nurse which Flames will obviously not do.
It's just something that has not been done before in the NHL to retain 50% for that many years. So, I can't see that happening. I recall now that Philly retained 50% on Hayes for 3 years because they really wanted him out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad