Player Discussion Jonathan Drouin Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
It could be a substance abuse problem. It could be anything.

But, I hadn't heard he wasn't coming back for the playoffs, good to know. Do you have a link confirming this?

I remember reading he wasn't going to be, but looks like it could be the media interpretation of Ducharme's none-answer when asked if he could be back at some point this season/playoff.

This was Ducharme's none-answer: “The most important thing right now is Jo taking care of what he needs to take care of. When I hear his name this morning, I don’t think about hockey, I think about the person.”

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I remember reading he wasn't going to be, but looks like it could be the media interpretation of Ducharme's none-answer when asked if he could be back at some point this season/playoff.

This was Ducharme's none-answer: “The most important thing right now is Jo taking care of what he needs to take care of. When I hear his name this morning, I don’t think about hockey, I think about the person.”
Dom has known this kid for a long time............he was his coach in Halifax. Was glad to hear the coach was more thinking of the person, more than the player...
JD will more than likely either stay on LTIR or ask to be moved to a quieter market. No way he retires and leaves 11M dollars on the table.
Wish him well, and at the same time, glad he is gone...not being mean there, just being honest. This was a bad trade from the get go....not his fault at all, but this is where we are.
The Bergevin wins all his trades crew have probably retired their accounts on HF, and we all understand.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Dom has known this kid for a long time............he was his coach in Halifax. Was glad to hear the coach was more thinking of the person, more than the player...
JD will more than likely either stay on LTIR or ask to be moved to a quieter market. No way he retires and leaves 11M dollars on the table.
Wish him well, and at the same time, glad he is gone...not being mean there, just being honest. This was a bad trade from the get go....not his fault at all, but this is where we are.
The Bergevin wins all his trades crew have probably retired their accounts on HF, and we all understand.
We’re a better team with a healthy Drouin IMO. I hope he finds his way and solves whatever personal issues he’s going through and ends up back in the lineup when all is said and done. We are icing multiple players that are far worse than him.

Reactions: HankyZetts

canucklover123

Oct 22, 2013
We’re a better team with a healthy Drouin IMO. I hope he finds his way and solves whatever personal issues he’s going through and ends up back in the lineup when all is said and done. We are icing multiple players that are far worse than him.

Yep I agree as well, when he is playing good hockey we are a much better team. He can have quite the storyline if he comes back and goes on a tear in playoffs lol

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Agreed. As well, our lineup is so right hand dominant right now: Suzuki, Toffoli, Gallagher, Anderson, Caufield... all of our most gifted offensive players shoot from the right side. For lefties all we have are: Danault, KK, Tatar, Byron, Staal... none of those guys are near the skill level Drouin has. He really could be a massive piece for us if he could figure things out.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

He was good with Staal and Perry onnthe 4th line. I could also potentially see him feeding Cole on the pp.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Whatever it is I hope he gets it all straightened out. Hopefully, he returns to the NHL but I doubt we will see him in a Habs uni again.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Agreed. As well, our lineup is so right hand dominant right now: Suzuki, Toffoli, Gallagher, Anderson, Caufield... all of our most gifted offensive players shoot from the right side. For lefties all we have are: Danault, KK, Tatar, Byron, Staal... none of those guys are near the skill level Drouin has. He really could be a massive piece for us if he could figure things out.
I just don't think it will happen. It was a bad trade from the start for many reasons. Mostly the market they put him in. They needed Girioux and Drouin isn't that. Placing him at center was a very bad idea. Couple that with injuries in the years he did play well and everything has come apart.

Of course this team could screw up the development of Lemieux if given the chance. Hmmm big body, smooth skating, incredible shot...Should make him a Dman, on his offside to throw the competition off! Just playing the odds Smithers.

simpson.gif

Last edited:

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Whatever is happening with Drou-Drou, I hope he gets better, but what I hope the most is that this whole ordeal will stand as a reminder of how misguided the thought process was, that led to his acquisition. A reminder and lesson to the individuals that internally pushed for more French stars, whether in management or in the media. When you try too hard to force something to happen and it keeps f***ing-up, maybe get with the program and realize that it's just not meant to be anymore. They don't want to come here or when they rarely do, they're either not stars or they crumble under the pressure created by your very actions and irrealistic needs. It's a bygone era. Mourn your losses and f***ing move on already. It will be better for everyone involved.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
His leave of absence might not be hockey-related at all. I find we’re too quick to jump to conclusions sometimes. Who knows what is going on, the optics/timing of it doesn’t look good, but maybe it was a contributing factor to his poor play. Finally he had enough and couldn’t cope anymore. His numbers were not usually this bad in previous years. Montreal fans are a tough crowd, but I just can’t see this being a ploy to get traded etc, I can’t see the team removing him if they want to trade him. Who the duck knows though. They are pretty good at squandering assets.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
His leave of absence might not be hockey-related at all. I find we’re too quick to jump to conclusions sometimes. Who knows what is going on, the optics/timing of it doesn’t look good, but maybe it was a contributing factor to his poor play. Finally he had enough and couldn’t cope anymore. His numbers were not usually this bad in previous years. Montreal fans are a tough crowd, but I just can’t see this being a ploy to get traded etc, I can’t see the team removing him if they want to trade him. Who the duck knows though. They are pretty good at squandering assets.

On Weise’s podcast he says he doubts it’s Montreal market related. Says he played with Drouin and he wasn’t the type to let it bother him. Who knows though.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
I doubt we see him back in a Habs uniform. My feeling is a buyout is looming because BargainBin can't get any value for him. Likely remains unprotected during the expansion draft and the Habs surely hope the Kraken take him off their hands.

It's unfortunate that a very talented player couldn't bring it to the next level. However his antics in TB, were a telltale sign not to acquire him. Losing McDonaugh and Sergachev and seeing them thrive on the same team while the Habs are struggling to find NHL caliber LDs, is incomprehensible. This is why re-signing Tatar is a must. The whole LW looks like the LD, depleted by the mighty hands of BargainBin.

I hardly doubt his leave of absence has anything to do with the fans. I do believe a falling out or disagreement with the organization has occurred. The expectations were high and Drouin couldn't deliver. The team's patience ran out and the player has just about enough. A relationship that is tarnished for good. Unlike the corporate world, you can't fire an NHL player, although buyouts do have a similar effect I suppose. In the midst of a playoff run, you don't want an unhappy asset on your squad.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Agree with your post. The league has to get its act together and the awful Panarin incident and Parros desision makes your point. I personally am against players playing injured - i did not like Gainey playing with two separated shoulders and would rather put a healthy body playing defense than an injured Weber.

JD has 2 goals in 44 games. Cole Caufield has 3 goals in a few games, with nowhere the ice time of the former. To criticize him is fair play, he is talented and gifted, easily a 50-70 pts guy a year. If Drouin is injured, if his wrist is bothering him etc..he should not play and take the time to heal. I wish him well. He is still one of the best passers on the team. This team needs a healthy JD.

Owners have dropped the ball for years and have been heavily criticized. Under performing athletes are also open to criticism and scrutiny.
No drouin is not talented and gifted. He was once ( in junior) but in the NHL he's been a bum.

Why? Becuase he plays like he is still in junior.

I have been, perhaps, his harshest critic since day 1. And I am sympathetic to him having personal issues but as a professional hockey player there hasn't been a player more coddled and protected than Jonathan Drouin. He persistently got time he didn't deserve and never put in an honest effort

Watch what is going to happen is that when these personal problem are divulged we are going to be told he has been dealing with them for a long time as a retroactive salve for his abysmal play.

And people will go along with this. Coddled when he plays, coddled when he doesn't.

He's a bum who reached the apex of his career the day he was drafted.

Reactions: zeeto and BLONG7

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Yeah however will we replace his 3 goals, shitty defense and lack of effort?

We are taking on water. We don't need another anchor.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Yep I agree as well, when he is playing good hockey we are a much better team. He can have quite the storyline if he comes back and goes on a tear in playoffs lol
That's not going to happen. Whether you know it and can't admit it or think it is a possibility doesn't make a difference.If

Stick a fork in him.
He's done

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Inside info on the fact that Drouin isn't coming back at all this season?
Dino, you have insider info? So let me ask you which of the three cases is it?

a) Something has happened to someone close in Drouin's life and he's taking time out.
b) he suffers from depression
c) he was told he wasn't dressing for a game, had a kanipshin fit, and was about to pull a Tampa Bay move but MB told him to go home.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Yeah however will we replace his 3 goals, shitty defense and lack of effort?

We are taking on water. We don't need another anchor.

The effort is there, I’ve seen him do good things all year but some choices are questionable.

Lack of shooting for example.

In any case he is an asset when he plays well but you’re never sure which drouin you’ll get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad