Jon Cooper

BHD

Here comes Skinner
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
He will be 57 when he begins his 13th(!) season with the Lightning. Now, let's suppose he oversees one more team (for the sake of discussion, a legit contender) before calling it a career. Where would he rank all-time among coaches?

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Pretty good. If he wins the four nations and an Olympic gold he’ll be legendary.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
When it comes to coaches, I think longevity and total wins are a couple categories that people look to in order to shape their perception over the long haul.

Cooper currently sits 44th in all time wins and 27th in games coached.

He's still needs to write a few more chapters to get build up his resume in that top tier of coaching greats (perception wise).

One thing I will say about Cooper though is that he is an example of how the way we look at voting for Jack adams is flawed. When it's basically an award given to the guy who happens to be there for a big turnaround, it ignores good coaches who happen to coach good teams.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
When it comes to coaches, I think longevity and total wins are a couple categories that people look to in order to shape their perception over the long haul.

He's still needs to write a few more chapters to get build up his resume in that top tier of coaching greats (perception wise).

One thing I will say about Cooper though is that he is an example of how the way we look at voting for Jack adams is flawed. When it's basically an award given to the guy who happens to be there for a big turnaround, it ignores good coaches who happen to coach good teams.
Yeah the actual best coaches in the league are often overlooked unless they are in a new situation. Maybe they should think about letting the coaches vote on that one rather than the writers. Writers always want narrative.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

12ozPapa

Make space for The Papa
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2012
Love Cooper. I recall a comment he made years ago talking about how a huge prt of coaching is being a people a manager. It was refreshing.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

LevelingSolo

Jan 15, 2012
I wonder if he coaches only the Lightning for his entire career. Not many coaches in pro sports have ever done that

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Yeah the actual best coaches in the league are often overlooked unless they are in a new situation. Maybe they should think about letting the coaches vote on that one rather than the writers. Writers always want narrative.

I dont think the writers should be voting on any player/coach awards if I'm being honest.

Reactions: Statto

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
He will leave the Lightning in a few years when they'll go on a full rebuild.

By the way I did not think he was that old. Would've guessed around 50.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011

Case in point. Bowman only has two while having 9 cups and one canada cup.

I also agree that Cooper probably need a few more seasons at the top to start making his way into the best of the best discussions.

They should let GMs vote on it. The people who actually evaluate the coaching staff around the league.

Reactions: Statto

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
I think rather than changing voters, I think Jack Adams voting deadline should be changed. The best GM is voted after top four teams are known, it would make sense to have the same for coaches.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

I recall a couple of coaches mentioning how Jack Adams voting and a hot goalie often go hand in hand.

Reactions: DaveG

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA

“Substitution bias” as psychologist Daniel Kahneman calls it. It’s impossible to realistically have any legitimate outside perspective as to who “the best” coach is, so voters instead go off of “which team played the furthest above where they were expected to play?”

It’s why a lot of these awards are very silly. A guy is considered the best coach in the best hockey league in the world one year and then he’s fired the very next season. Perhaps the team just beat expectations in spite of said coach.

Truth is it’s incredibly difficult to tell how “good” of a coach Cooper really is. He was considered a choker for years because his very good roster couldn’t advance. Then, when they finally won, he suddenly transitioned to “league’s best coach”.

If we’re being realistic, we’re all just throwing shit at the wall.

Reactions: DaveG

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007
This comment

IMG_3711.jpeg

but with this guys voice

IMG_3712.jpeg

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Playoff-wise not many coaches have made it to four finals, or won two cups or won back to back. Hes already in rarified air.

He should add a Gold Medal in 2 years time as well.

Reactions: Five Alarm Fire

Ghost of Murph

Dec 23, 2023
Get back to me when his team wins a Cup or two during a normal season. Won what was basically am odd summer tournament in 2020 and won against a very mediocre Montreal team during the COVID season in which the conferences were jacked up. Otherwise he has lost twice in the SCF and/or not made it that far. All that stud talent and two Cups with asterisks beside them. Certainly an above average coach. Nothing more.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Get back to me when his team wins a Cup or two during a normal season. Won what was basically am odd summer tournament in 2020 and won against a very mediocre Montreal team during the COVID season in which the conferences were jacked up. Otherwise he has lost twice in the SCF and/or not made it that far. All that stud talent and two Cups with asterisks beside them. Certainly an above average coach. Nothing more.
Oh man, this weak take again (no offense). If it’s so easy why didn’t the other 30 teams (and coaches) win your “summer tournament”?

Players said afterwards that it was the toughest playoffs because of life in the bubble without contact to their family and friends, cabin fever, constant testing, no fans, no atmosphere, fear of getting the virus, etc.

Maybe all this speaks even more for Cooper that he got his team over the finish line despite the circumstances. And then again not even a year later.

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
It's hard to rank a coach who had so much talent, Tampa has 4 HOF locks and Point is already nearing borderline

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $1,050.00