Movies: Joker: Folie a Deux - October 4, 2024

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
This movie disavows the first movie and actively mocks the audience that liked it. Making it a musical was the first sign that this movie would most likely be a bad joke.

Reactions: John Price

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Got smoked by another clown movie this weekend too, tough scenes
art-the-clown-clown.gif

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
I don't believe for a second this movie cost close to $200 million. $20 million for Phoenix, $12 million for Gaga, let's say $10 million for the director...leaves about $150 million for everything else. This movie almost entirely exists within the prison/asylum and the courtroom with no impressive set pieces. Barely any outdoor scenes in New York...actually seemed like quite a few less minutes than the first movie. Marginal special effects.

Even with the inflated salaries, I have trouble seeing this being more than $100 million. Me thinks there was serious magical accounting going on here. Inflate the budget for this movie by adding accommodation costs/catering etc. from other movies filming at approx. the same time and add it on to the budget of this movie deflating the budget of those movies. I can't think of any other logical explanation.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

It’s now poised to lose at least $150 million to $200 million in its theatrical run, according to the estimates of insiders as well as three rival executives with knowledge of similar productions. One source speculates the film will end up losing its backers just north of $200 million, while another believes the damages may be closer to $125 million.

A box office disaster

I don't believe for a second this movie cost close to $200 million. $20 million for Phoenix, $12 million for Gaga, let's say $10 million for the director...leaves about $150 million for everything else. This movie almost entirely exists within the prison/asylum and the courtroom with no impressive set pieces. Barely any outdoor scenes in New York...actually seemed like quite a few less minutes than the first movie. Marginal special effects.

Even with the inflated salaries, I have trouble seeing this being more than $100 million. Me thinks there was serious magical accounting going on here. Inflate the budget for this movie by adding accommodation costs/catering etc. from other movies filming at approx. the same time and add it on to the budget of this movie deflating the budget of those movies. I can't think of any other logical explanation.

They spent $100M alone on marketing and distribution (Fairly standard rate for major release like this nowadays)

Last edited:

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Who would have thought people who like joker/DC movies would not be into musicals?

Oh wait, everyone knew this. I liked the first one a lot. Would've seen this even with bad reviews if it weren't a musical. I think I was forced to watch too many boring musicals growing up because you honestly couldn't pay me to see this. Just a baffling, braindead idea

Reactions: CDJ

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Who would have thought people who like joker/DC movies would not be into musicals?

Oh wait, everyone knew this. I liked the first one a lot. Would've seen this even with bad reviews if it weren't a musical. I think I was forced to watch too many boring musicals growing up because you honestly couldn't pay me to see this. Just a baffling, braindead idea

I've seen the idea mentioned online before that some sequels should deviate from the genre that the original was in, and I think that's a very interesting idea. Taking Joker and turning it into a musical seems like a recipe for disaster.

I believe the example that I saw mentioned before was something like Billy Madison 2 being more of a drama or something like that instead of a comedy. I'm not sure that works either but I imagine there's some genre bending that could happen for sequels that take place way after the original that would work, but it'd be very specific. Not sure why they chose to take a stab at it here because I don't really have any intention of seeing this and I enjoyed the first one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad