Johnston or Bylsma ? Who would you rather have coach this team

dr robbie

Let's Go Pens!
Feb 21, 2012
Pittsburgh
Bylsma made for a fun regular season and no where in the playoffs.
Johnson mades for a boring regular season and potential in the playoffs.

I'd still take Bylsma. Would rather like watching 82 games and Crosby fighting for the scoring title, than watch this snorefest (even if it means we "have a chance" by focusing on defense)

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I'm not sure if MJ is the coach that'll take this team to a Cup, but this is a necessary transition phase for this group.

This team needs defensive structure beat into them after the years of garbage jailbreak hockey under DB. It's boring and not all that fun to watch, but it is necessary for this team to get back to playing like a team in tight games.

I think they'll look alot more like themselves in a few months and with better personnel on defense hopefully in the form of a DP callup and a trade.

djt153

Dec 26, 2003
let's be honest: bulama had among all of our most maligned players in their prime and wasn't smart enough to demand a fix for mafs positional coaching immediately

cajal

Go Pens!
Dec 13, 2007
Miskatonic U
I'd take the first 20 games of either over anything after they installed their "systems"
This is very true, though that effect lasted through the cup in Bylsma's case.

With Johnston it seemed like the team celebrate DB being gone for about 1/3 of a season before realizing he's just as big of an idiot - at least with personnel decisions.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Bylsma was the most arrogant *******... but the team believed in him. Johnston is a push over... and the team doesn't believe in his game. At least Johnston tries to change things up.

I'd go Johnston in a slight favorite. Both are not correct for this team.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Bylsma was the most arrogant *******... but the team believed in him. Johnston is a push over... and the team doesn't believe in his game. At least Johnston tries to change things up.

I'd go Johnston in a slight favorite. Both are not correct for this team.

Why do you keep saying they're not buying in? It's a boring style and the transition game sucks, but I think the forwards are buying in quite well defensively. Specifically, Malkin. Who was never this good in all zones under DB.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Neither.

Just because I think Johnston is an idiot doesn't mean I don't think Bylsma isn't an idiot.

This thread is like asking who you'd rather have playing top four minutes this year: Rob Scuderi or Hal Gill. Just because I think Scuderi sucks doesn't mean I wish we still had Hal Gill instead.

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
i'm not exactly sure that johnston is instilling the fundamentals, discipline, and defensive awareness that this team needs. i think this team needs more of a hard ass to drill those things into these players heads. johnston doesn't appear to be doing what therrien did when he was hired, which imo is more what this team needs.

i think the team is just boring now, without necessarily moving this team in the right direction.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I'd rather have 90+ point, all-world Malkin than 70 point all-rink Malkin, personally. He has two linemates and 2 defenders to clean up the defensive zone.

He's a center. He's doing what centers in this league do.

Still Apps

The New Gig
Jan 10, 2012
Home
Some of the stuff Johnston does makes me nauseous. If I ever saw Dan Bylsma behind the Pens bench again I'd have unending spasms of projectile vomiting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad