In Memoriam Johnny Gaudreau & Matthew Gaudreau killed by drunk driver while cycling (MOD WARNING. No Flaming, Trolling, or Politics.)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Cashville

RIP Lindback
Apr 12, 2011
Denver
One of the most tragic episodes in NHL history, full stop. "Celebrity" deaths have varying impacts on folks; this one just really hurts as a fan of both hockey and genuinely good people. The more you hear about the brothers and their family, the history, the good times and noble anecdotes, the more it hurts; so much lost for one terrible decision. Meredith's update today was just heartbreaking. Hopefully some solace comes some day with the child being one final gift from Johnny.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
This was far more than I was expecting... I thought we'd get a Gaudreau jersey and a brief subtle mention, which happened when Canadian wrestler Sami Zayn came out in a Bret Hart segment.... I don't recall WWE doing something like this though for anyone outside of wrestling (I could be wrong, maybe Kobe?).

I could be wrong but I don't remember them doing it for Kobe. They've done it before for celebrities but it's because they were involved in something with WWE previously.

It was really classy of them, especially with Jackie being there since she works for them and the NHL and knew Johnny.

heynowbababooey

Sep 29, 2017
Being a father of 2 boys, both close in age just like Johnny and Matthew, seeing Guy Gaudreau break down like that really f***ed me up. I can't even begin to imagine his pain. I wept after watching him exit behind his boys. That was just awful and I don't know what I'd do if anything happened to either of my sons let alone both of them.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
I wish I got a picture of it, but tonight, the moon was a nice, bright, redish/orange as if it was a sign from Johnny and Matty

Nogatco Rd

Did you just call me Coltrane?
Apr 3, 2021
The most they can do is remove and refund board/ice ads and official sponsorships for alcohol, but even that is a huge stretch with contracts in place
Yeah i mean the whole idea is just a non starter and not something that would ever be considered. Alcohol sales and advertising are almost a pillar of the league's business model.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
This was far more than I was expecting... I thought we'd get a Gaudreau jersey and a brief subtle mention, which happened when Canadian wrestler Sami Zayn came out in a Bret Hart segment.... I don't recall WWE doing something like this though for anyone outside of wrestling (I could be wrong, maybe Kobe?).

Over the last year or so, they have a completely different management/production team. I'd imagine that likely factored in. Vince McMahon was notoriously in a wrestling bubble. Oddly enough, he had a failed venture into hockey back in the 80s with the Cape Cod Buccaneers.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Alright everyone, story time. Sorry in advance for oversharing.

How Whiskey became the biggest Johnny Gaudreau homer on HF

I first spotted Johnny during his time in Dubuque, when I went to watch a family friend of mine (he was a goaltender for another USHL team). I knew instantly that Johnny was a special talent. He couldn't have been any bigger than 5'6 130, yet the puck followed him all over the ice. One thing that most people may not know is that, during his time in Dubuque, Johnny really wasn't that great of a skater, especially for a guy his size. He had a quick first few steps and great edges, but he wasn't all that fast. And he wasn't the prolific NZ puck carrier that he became in the NHL. Yet he was still getting more puck touches than anyone else on the ice, making the niftiest little passes and dangles you could imagine. I'd never seen a player consistently create such a high volume of scoring chances out of seemingly nothing. He truly had that once in a generation hockey IQ. I ambitiously ranked as a late first in my 2011 draft rankings. He had me hooked - and I was lucky enough to become acquainted with some of the Gaudreau family and Lewis.

Fast forward to 2014. My parents had come over for Halloween, so my Dad and I watched the Nashville - Calgary game. I had been following Johnny very closely to this point, so I told my dad to keep an eye out for the peewee winger wearing #13 red. And Johnny did not disappoint.

Early in the 3rd, with the Flames trailing 2-1, Johnny put together 3 consecutive shifts in a 4 min span that completely changed the game.
You can watch this sequence of shifts starting here:
- First shift: He weaves thru traffic and then crashes the net to setup the tying goal.
- Second shift: He dances past Jones and Ekholm to create a great chance, and then draws the penalty that leads to the go ahead goal.
- Third shift: He outmuscles Craig Smith down the wing and snipe Rinne for the eventual GWG.

It was the type of performance that made it impossible not to be a fan, which was perfect since it was my Dad's first viewing. What made it even better was when Eric Francis, in the first intermission, explained how he was "worried about Gaudreau", that he was "a timbit" who was going to need protection against big, tough teams. All because Johnny got knocked over by Volchenkov after absolutely walking him at the blue line:

Listening to Francis consistently put his foot in his mouth was one of our favorite past times. Generally, one of the best things about cheering for Johnny was the way he seemed to always prove the doubters wrong. I'm layering on the hyperbole here, but it went something like:
  • "He's gonna get demolished by college players"
  • "He won't be able to pull that stuff off against NHL defenseman"
  • "He needs to get sent to the AHL, 0 points in his first 5 games shows he's too small"
  • "He needs a body guard or else he's gonna get really hurt vs big teams like LA"
  • "Sure, he scored a natural hat trick to come back down 3-0 vs the defending cup champs, but the third goal off Doughty was all luck"
  • "He may have had an okay regular season, but he's a tiny rookie, let's see him do it in the playoffs"
  • "Yeah, he had a lucky playoff run, but he's gonna slump so hard as a sophomore"
  • "Okay, he was 6th in scoring in his 2nd year, but he couldn't even carry the Flames to the playoffs"
  • "Sure, he carried the Flames to the playoffs, but he can't even get them out of the first round"
  • "I expect Johnny Gaudreau to take a backseat to Matthew Tkachuk"
  • "He may have led the Flames in goals and points, but he's still ineffective at ES and is a huge defensive liability"
  • "Yeah, he scored the most ES points since 90s Jagr while posting the highest +/- since 80's Gretzky, but he still can't get it done when it matters"
  • "Lucky shot vs Oettinger"
Anyways, from that point on, my dad and I watched almost every game of Johnny Gaudreau's career together. Even though we lived 3 hours apart, we would call each other at the start of every game and talk about how great this kid was, and how amazing he'd prove to be if Calgary could get a real NHL coach and some more talent around him. On those rare nights where we couldn't call to watch the game together, I'd be sure to call him on my way into work to talk about it. And when we were lucky enough to get the family all together, Johnny would seemingly always do something special (like his natural hattrick vs the Kings right before Christmas 2014). It went like this for 4 years.

Then in the late summer of 2018, my mom passed away unexpectedly, and my dad came home to live with me, my wife, and our 2 young daughters. That first winter was incredibly difficult for all of us, but my dad completely shut down, and started drinking again after 2 decades of sobriety. He didn't get out of bed most days. Unless Calgary was playing. Watching Johnny gave him something to look forward to that first year.

And as if by some miracle, those next few months were some of the best hockey Johnny would play, He was a front runner for the Hart through his first 48 games, leading the flames to 1st in the West, with 28 goals and 71 points, (only 4 points back of Kucherov for the league lead at the time). His electric play helped my Dad get through the most painful loss of his life. He had even started to joke that "at least we don't have to call each other to watch Johnny anymore."

Honestly, I don't know if my dad would have made it through that winter without having Johnny to look forward to, as the following summer he had to be institutionalized for a week because of suicidal threats.

We continued to watch him game in and game out, through COVID, his Hart worthy performance in 2022 (which again helped my Dad, as he was diagnosed with Parkinson's in 2021), his game 7 OT winner, his move to Columbus, his time wearing the stars and stripes...

Between preseason, regular season, playoffs, and international tournaments, we probably watched anywhere from 780-800 Johnny Gaudreau games together in these last 11 years. That's roughly 2,000 hours that I got to spend bonding and healing with my sick Dad, sharing moments that will last a life time.

Thanks for the memories John. Rest in Peace.
Dumb take. People aren't addicted to alcohol because they think it's cool.

We as a society need to make some changes with our relationship to alcohol. The narrative that heavy alcohol consumption is needed to have a good time is pervasive in our society, and the continued encouragement and normalization of the type of behavior that so often leads to unspeakable tragedies such as these is pretty unforgivable.

I 100% support any organization that takes explicit action to avoid perpetuating this dangerous narrative. Anyone who doesn't drink will tell you how lonely it can feel, and how aggressively curious your "friends" can be when they can't fathom why anybody would not like drinking. They seem to think it's their social duty to convince you to have a drink, because if your not having fun how can they???

That's not to say I'm completely anti-alcohol - I'll have a locker room beer after a game, and I enjoy having a drink or two every few months to celebrate special occasions or to wind down from a particularly stressful day.

But when I think back to the most fun memories of my life, pretty much none of them involved alcohol. When I was younger it was hockey with my brothers, LAN parties, poker tournaments, and board games. And now as a father, it's coaching my girls to play the sport I love, taking the family to Canes games, and sitting with my sick dad watching Johnny Gaudreau make magic, which we'll never be able to do again because some asshole decided to drive drunk.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014

I first spotted Johnny during his time in Dubuque, when I went to watch a family friend of mine (he was a goaltender for another USHL team). I knew instantly that Johnny was a special talent. He couldn't have been any bigger than 5'6 130, yet the puck followed him all over the ice. One thing that most people may not know is that, during his time in Dubuque, Johnny really wasn't that great of a skater, especially for a guy his size. He had a quick first few steps and great edges, but he wasn't all that fast. And he wasn't the prolific NZ puck carrier that he became in the NHL. Yet he was still getting more puck touches than anyone else on the ice, making the niftiest little passes and dangles you could imagine. I'd never seen a player consistently create such a high volume of scoring chances out of seemingly nothing. He truly had that once in a generation hockey IQ. I ambitiously ranked as a late first in my 2011 draft rankings. He had me hooked - and I was lucky enough to become acquainted with some of the Gaudreau family and Lewis.

Fast forward to 2014. My parents had come over for Halloween, so my Dad and I watched the Nashville - Calgary game. I had been following Johnny very closely to this point, so I told my dad to keep an eye out for the peewee winger wearing #13 red. And Johnny did not disappoint.

Early in the 3rd, with the Flames trailing 2-1, Johnny put together 3 consecutive shifts in a 4 min span that completely changed the game.
- First shift: He weaves thru traffic and then crashes the net to setup the tying goal.
- Second shift: He dances past Jones and Ekholm to create a great chance, and then draws the penalty that leads to the go ahead goal.
- Third shift: He outmuscles Craig Smith down the wing and snipe Rinne for the eventual GWG.

It was the type of performance that made it impossible not to be a fan, which was perfect since it was my Dad's first viewing. What made it even better was when Eric Francis, in the first intermission, explained how he was "worried about Gaudreau", that he was "a timbit" who was going to need protection against big, tough teams. All because Johnny got knocked over by Volchenkov after absolutely walking him at the blue line:

Listening to Francis consistently put his foot in his mouth was one of our favorite past times. Generally, one of the best things about cheering for Johnny was the way he seemed to always prove the doubters wrong. I'm layering on the hyperbole here, but it went something like:
  • "He needs to get sent to the AHL, 0 points in his first 5 games shows he's too small"
  • "He needs a body guard or else he's gonna get really hurt vs big teams like LA"
  • "Sure, he scored a natural hat trick to come back down 3-0 vs the defending cup champs, but the third goal off Doughty was all luck"
  • "He may have had an okay regular season, but he's a tiny rookie, let's see him do it in the playoffs"
  • "Yeah, he had a lucky playoff run, but he's gonna slump so hard as a sophomore"
  • "Okay, he was 6th in scoring in his 2nd year, but he couldn't even carry the Flames to the playoffs"
  • "Sure, he carried the Flames to the playoffs, but he can't even get them out of the first round"
  • "He may have led the Flames in goals and points, but he's still ineffective at ES and is a huge defensive liability"
  • "Yeah, he scored the most ES points since 90s Jagr while posting the highest +/- since 80's Gretzky, but he still can't get it done when it matters"
Anyways, from that point on, my dad and I watched almost every game of Johnny Gaudreau's career together. Even though we lived 3 hours apart, we would call each other at the start of every game and talk about how great this kid was, and how amazing he'd prove to be if Calgary could get a real NHL coach and some more talent around him. On those rare nights where we couldn't call to watch the game together, I'd be sure to call him on my way into work to talk about it. And when we were lucky enough to get the family all together, Johnny would seemingly always do something special (like his natural hattrick vs the Kings right before Christmas 2014). It went like this for 4 years.

Then in the late summer of 2018, my mom passed away unexpectedly, and my dad came home to live with me, my wife, and our 2 young daughters. That first winter was incredibly difficult for all of us, but my dad completely shut down, and started drinking again after 2 decades of sobriety. He didn't get out of bed most days. Unless Calgary was playing. Watching Johnny gave him something to look forward to that first year.

And as if by some miracle, those next few months were some of the best hockey Johnny would play, He was a front runner for the Hart through his first 48 games, leading the flames to 1st in the West, with 28 goals and 71 points, (only 4 points back of Kucherov for the league lead at the time). His electric play helped my Dad get through the most painful loss of his life. He had even started to joke that "at least we don't have to call each other to watch Johnny anymore."

Honestly, I don't know if my dad would have made it through that winter without having Johnny to look forward to, as the following summer he had to be institutionalized for a week because of suicidal threats.

We continued to watch him game in and game out, through COVID, his Hart worthy performance in 2022 (which again helped my Dad, as he was diagnosed with Parkinson's in 2021), his game 7 OT winner, his move to Columbus, his time wearing the stars and stripes...

Between preseason, regular season, playoffs, and international tournaments, we probably watched anywhere from 780-800 Johnny Gaudreau games together in these last 11 years. That's roughly 2,000 hours that I got to spend bonding and healing with my sick Dad, sharing moments that will last a life time.

We as a society need to make some changes with our relationship to alcohol. The narrative that heavy alcohol consumption is needed to have a good time is pervasive in our society, and the continued encouragement and normalization of the type of behavior that so often leads to unspeakable tragedies such as these is pretty unforgivable.

I 100% support any organization that takes explicit action to avoid perpetuating this dangerous narrative. Anyone who doesn't drink will tell you how lonely it can feel, and how aggressively curious your "friends" can be when they can't fathom why anybody would not like drinking. They seem to think it's their social duty to convince you to have a drink, because if your not having fun how can they???

That's not to say I'm completely anti-alcohol - I'll have a locker room beer after a game, and I enjoy having a drink or two every few months to celebrate special occasions or to wind down from a particularly stressful day.

But when I think back to the most fun memories of my life, pretty much none of them involved alcohol. When I was younger it was hockey with my brothers, LAN parties, poker tournaments, and board games. And now as a father, it's coaching my girls to play the sport I love, taking the family to Canes games, and sitting with my sick dad watching Johnny Gaudreau make magic, which we'll never be able to do again because some asshole decided to drive drunk.
Beautiful post

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Cycling in traffic alongside motor vehicles is inherently dangerous. I've cycled a lot in traffic in inner city milieus, where it's tighter but the cars (or trucks) usually move slower. I'm a very confident cyclist but I would never cycle on larger roads with heavy traffic.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
Glad I didn't try to watch this live.... I had to stop several times.... the heart can only take so much.
I don't think I'll ever be able to watch it. Just seeing the quotes from Meredith's eulogy and the photos the Dispatch photographer posted of outside the church set me crying again. I don't need to also watch the grief in realtime.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary

And here I was thinking you were distant cousins.

My Brady Skjei fandom can’t compare to your connection with Johnny. That was a beautiful post.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Cycling in traffic alongside motor vehicles is inherently dangerous. I've cycled a lot in traffic in inner city milieus, where it's tighter but the cars (or trucks) usually move slower. I'm a very confident cyclist but I would never cycle on larger roads with heavy traffic.
I have to ask, as a not a cyclist myself, is it outlawed or something to bike against the traffic? For example here, if the Gaudreau's were biking in different direction (ie. seeing all this unfold), they may have been able to dodge it.

Aug 3, 2010
I hate saying this, but for me it has been surreal this whole time... and it wasn't until I read Monahan's name as one of Johnny's pallbearers that it hit me again like a pile of bricks.

Just putting myself in Monahan's shoes and imagining the weight of the entire situation, literally and metaphorically.

Rest in peace, John and Matthew.

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
I have to ask, as a not a cyclist myself, is it outlawed or something to bike against the traffic? For example here, if the Gaudreau's were biking in different direction (ie. seeing all this unfold), they may have been able to dodge it.
Bicycles need to travel with traffic, not against it. It’s actually safer for both the cyclist and drivers of vehicles. Physics is often quoted, more damage if there is an accident if you are travelling towards traffic, etc

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
Bicycles need to travel with traffic, not against it. It’s actually safer for both the cyclist and drivers of vehicles. Physics is often quoted, more damage if there is an accident if you are travelling towards traffic, etc
If it's a narrow two-lane, the shoulder bike riders, rollerbladers, skateboarders have right of way on the right shoulder in North America. Vehicles are supposed to yield but, ideally, the bipedally maneuvering ones should be aware of rear traffic. It depends on the road and time of day.

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
If it's a narrow two-lane, the shoulder bike riders, rollerbladers, skateboarders have right of way on the right shoulder in North America. Vehicles are supposed to yield but, ideally, the bipedally maneuvering ones should be aware of rear traffic. It depends on the road and time of day.
I'm just saying ride on the right side of the road....I'm not a cyclist either, so I'm not fully up to date on all the laws, I'm Canadian, but I know most states in the US (like 90%) would say ride on the right and furthest right with the remaining states saying the bike should ride in the actual lane of traffic or ones that say the bike should be treated like any other vehicle....not sure the difference between those two.

I did some quick searches on this and there is all kinds of data, evidence and examples for why bikes should travel in the same direction of traffic.

EDIT: I should also make it crystal clear, alcohol and reckless driving of the SUV was the cause here, nothing else. We could discuss dedicated bike lanes, with actual barriers to vehicular traffic being a really good way to keep people safe, but there would also be some pretty significant barriers to that happening ($$$ and space).

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004

Good for you I guess?

The Gaudreau brothers were run down by a drunk driver making an unsafe move out of rage. This was not about the amount of traffic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad