In Memoriam Johnny Gaudreau & Matthew Gaudreau killed by drunk driver while cycling (MOD WARNING. No Flaming, Trolling, or Politics.)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Rink at Hollydell Ice Arena in Washington Township to be renamed Gaudreau rink after the Gaudreau brothers.

Tribute to Gaudreau brothers at their home rink Hollydell ice arena.

Guy Gaudreau looks shattered. Hockey was his life and if I remember correctly, he would watch every single game of Johnny's.

Now that would only serve as a constant reminder of what he lost.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
No bike lane on this road
Hardly even a shoulder

1726349860010.png

Last edited by a moderator:

bleatbloop

Aug 20, 2024
No bike lane on this road
Hardly even a shoulder

View attachment 906992
The actual collision happened a few hundred meters back of that, and there is even less of a 'shoulder' -- a few inches between the lines and the grass.

I'm a bit confused why the car in the front had to turn left. Biking on the side of the road most likely meant a lot of cars were just driving past Gaudreaus. Maybe he thought the middle car wanted to pass him, but then this blocked off Higgins. Either way Higgins move to essentially cut through the two cars seems like a dumb reckless move, and then compounded by doing a shit enough job at it to hit the bike lane. The light may have cost them if he couldn't see the bikers a few cars ahead.
There was no bike lane, they were biking in the road at night without lights or hi-vis on a county road.

I agree, it doesn't make a lot of sense and the unfortunate reality is a calamity of errors on numerous parties involved and bad luck caused this tragedy.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
When i was a kid i was taught to ride facing traffic but it seems like this is not customary for bike riders nowadays. Any reason why?
I genuinely don’t have any “blame” for the Gaudreau’s, and hate to respond to this post in a thread like this, but, I’ve noticed this also and find it fascinating.

Don’t understand it. Whether it’s people riding bikes extremely recreationally or even seemingly experienced bike riders, along with others simply walking alongside the road, the vast majority are going “with” traffic.

Forget being taught anything at a young age, don’t you want to be able to see things coming towards you and be aware of what’s going on? Having your back turned anywhere near a road (or god forbid IN the road) IMO doesn’t seem to have anywhere near enough effect on minimizing the impact during an actual accident, and IMO you should always be facing and have eyes on the traffic closest to you.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I genuinely don’t have any “blame” for the Gaudreau’s, and hate to respond to this post in a thread like this, but, I’ve noticed this also and find it fascinating.

Don’t understand it. Whether it’s people riding bikes extremely recreationally or even seemingly experienced bike riders, along with others simply walking alongside the road, the vast majority are going “with” traffic.

Forget being taught anything at a young age, don’t you want to be able to see things coming towards you and be aware of what’s going on? Having your back turned anywhere near a road (or god forbid IN the road) IMO doesn’t seem to have anywhere near enough effect on minimizing the impact during an actual accident, and IMO you should always be facing and have eyes on the traffic closest to you.
As a runner, I always run opposite traffic so I can see what's coming. As you said, being hit by a car with a few miles per hour less impact won't make much difference. I usually run on roads, except when I'm on a busy boulevard.

I don't think bicycles have that choice. They're not allowed on sidewalks with pedestrians, so they have to conform to the same rules of the road as cars.

SoupNazi

Gee Wally/SoupNazi 2024
Feb 6, 2010
As a runner, I always run opposite traffic so I can see what's coming. As you said, being hit by a car with a few miles per hour less impact won't make much difference. I usually run on roads, except when I'm on a busy boulevard.

I don't think bicycles have that choice. They're not allowed on sidewalks with pedestrians, so they have to conform to the same rules of the road as cars.
I remember always being taught walk against traffic, ride with traffic.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York

I've been an avid cyclist for a LONG time, since the days of Greg Lemond. I would never, ever ride against traffic, no cyclists I've ever ridden with do that. There are several reasons apart from what you mention. As others have also said, the closing velocity is much greater- on a flat road I may be doing 20+ mph, a car coming toward me is probably doing 30+ mph. That's less time to react (remember, there are blind curves and hills that create blind spots) and of course a much more violent collision.

Also, and some otherwise cool-headed people might get triggered by this, but many cyclists ride in groups. I used to do weekend rides in a group of 20+ cyclists. Under no circumstances do you want a group of cyclists riding into traffic.

I can usually hear cars behind me in plenty of time to move over, assuming there is somewhere other than grass and dirt to move over to. You can now get lights for the back of your bike that also have radar and will pair with your bike computer so you can see cars approaching from behind. But the reality is, where there are no decent shoulders it's dangerous. I don't feel as indestructible as I did in my 20s and 30s and nowadays I do most of my riding virtually, indoors. Safer and I don't have to worry about fixing a flat tire 20 miles from home.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I was trying to look up Gaudreaua draft day videos only to see clips of his funeral. Monahan crying like a baby. Poor guy. Gaudreau dad had to be carried.

My condolences to his family. Jackets fans I am sorry you guys have to go through this.

To the flames fans. I can’t imagine what you guys are going through. I wish no other fan base have to go through anything like this . We lost Bourdon, rypien , demitra. My thoughts and prayers are with you. To his family and friends my condolences.

We think about how precious is life. Life is precious. Nothing is more important than life.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Folks,

Moving forward, This thread will be tribute/In Memoriam thread for Johnny Gaudreau, and his brother Matthew. Post highlights of his career, what he did for the community outside of the rink, what teams around the league do this season to honor him and etc.

Enough about the law and order crap, DWI, Politics, and the morals of drinking. This is a hockey forum not a law and order forum.

Thank you

Last edited:

HeadLiceHatty

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
I was trying to look up Gaudreaua draft day videos only to see clips of his funeral. Monahan crying like a baby. Poor guy. Gaudreau dad had to be carried.

My condolences to his family. Jackets fans I am sorry you guys have to go through this.

To the flames fans. I can’t imagine what you guys are going through. I wish no other fan base have to go through anything like this . We lost Bourdon, rypien , demitra. My thoughts and prayers are with you. To his family and friends my condolences.

We think about how precious is life. Life is precious. Nothing is more important than life.

I’m a father of two and it breaks my heart to see that man in that much pain. I’d be in the same shoes I doubt I’d have much will to live anymore, I truly hope he is able to find any ounce of joy in his life after this tragedy. It’s cliche but no parents should bury their children it’s the worst thing that could ever happen, god rest both their souls and I really hope their family finds peace and somehow finds a way to help each other move on.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Evason just said in media day that they will keep his stall with his stuff in it every game and will be bringing his jersey around with them all season. And then said they'll be using his video clips throughout the season to help teach both good and bad things for the team to learn from him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad