OT: Johnny Gaudreau and Matthew Gaudreau killed in drunk driving incident

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I see those types every day driving down the perimeter. Sometimes I shake my head.

You can't fix stupid.

---

Heard about this over lunch today, as we were out for a work thing. I always skip the booze if I'm driving, which I was.

This tragedy boils down to bad decisions from the driver: drinking before driving, trying to get around slower vehicles because he wants to drive faster, or some combinations of both. It's too bad that others had to lose their lives because of someone else's careless decisions.

My condolences to the entire Gaudreau family.
I think quite a few of us have been touched by impaired driving in one way or another. To me it is very clear cut, if you are drinking you have another way home. Bus, cab, Uber, DD , friend or family etc. The cost of transportation in the vast majority of situations is far less then what you spent on the booze in the 1st place.

Aggie204

Expect the worst, you’ll never be disappointed.
Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB
Un-F---ing-belivable. The guy who killed Johnny and Matthew looked annoyed that he has to stay in jail and he’ll miss the long weekend. He seemed inconvenienced. This video infuriates me.
Edit: Only 10 years max? I hope I didn’t hear that right, but I don’t know diddly about New Jersey laws.

Last edited by a moderator:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Un-F---ing-belivable. The guy who killed Johnny and Matthew looked annoyed that he has to stay in jail because he’ll miss the long weekend. He seemed inconvenienced. This video infuriates me.
Edit: Only 10 years for each count?
That was a bit hard to watch what a F****** POS!

RestlessYoungZero

Jul 10, 2011
Those drivers are horrible but there are other ones on the road that just pure and simple don't know how to drive. Going 30km's a hour under the speed limit and in the fast lane is almost as dangerous. The police should pull them over and give them a ticket for dangerous driving too.
While this is definitely true it is much rarer in my experience. Every single day I drive I see aggressive assholes speeding 20+ above the limit weaving in and out of traffic. Its more like once every few days or week I run into someone doing 20-30 km/hr under the limit. I can't stand the attitude of people that think speeding is okay cause "ItS GoiNg wITh thE fLoW of TRaffiC", when it clearly isn't when they're riding everyones ass and blowing past traffic consistently. How bout they slow the f*** down and go the speed limit like the rest of us. They're also the type to whine and complain about getting photo radar tickets at the same intersection consistently. You'd think they'd learn. Guess you can't fix stupid and selfish.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Un-F---ing-belivable. The guy who killed Johnny and Matthew looked annoyed that he has to stay in jail and he’ll miss the long weekend. He seemed inconvenienced. This video infuriates me.
Edit: Only 10 years max? I hope I didn’t hear that right, but I don’t know diddly about New Jersey laws.
I think the States tack them on one after the other.
10 x 2 = 20 years I think is how they do it.

Reactions: Aggie204

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
While this is definitely true it is much rarer in my experience. Every single day I drive I see aggressive assholes speeding 20+ above the limit weaving in and out of traffic. Its more like once every few days or week I run into someone doing 20-30 km/hr under the limit. I can't stand the attitude of people that think speeding is okay cause "ItS GoiNg wITh thE fLoW of TRaffiC", when it clearly isn't when they're riding everyones ass and blowing past traffic consistently. How bout they slow the f*** down and go the speed limit like the rest of us. They're also the type to whine and complain about getting photo radar tickets at the same intersection consistently. You'd think they'd learn. Guess you can't fix stupid and selfish.
I hate when you are doing the speed limit and someone is riding your ass , i always slow down . I realize the brothers were on bikes but how fast was this jackass going that he killed both brothers, jesus .

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Those drivers are horrible but there are other ones on the road that just pure and simple don't know how to drive. Going 30km's a hour under the speed limit and in the fast lane is almost as dangerous. The police should pull them over and give them a ticket for dangerous driving too.

Yeah, agreed. Both ends of the spectrum are a problem and I've experienced my share of frustration with people driving below the speed limit for no reason - especially when they drive right next to another car doing the same thing and blocking everyone behind them who just wants to go a fast as is safely allowed. But I have a little more patience for "over-cautious" than I do for "asshole who thinks he owns the road". Also, there's sometimes a reason for people to be driving slowly and you need to allow for that possibility before you decide to try and blow around them...

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Yeah, agreed. Both ends of the spectrum are a problem and I've experienced my share of frustration with people driving below the speed limit for no reason - especially when they drive right next to another car doing the same thing and blocking everyone behind them who just wants to go a fast as is safely allowed. But I have a little more patience for "over-cautious" than I do for "asshole who thinks he owns the road". Also, there's sometimes a reason for people to be driving slowly and you need to allow for that possibility before you decide to try and blow around them...
I believe that statistically, driving 20 under the limit leads to more accidents than 20 over

pictman

Mar 7, 2012
pictish hills
As a former class 1A driver I feel the general driving skills of people have decreased. ( including class 1 drivers) , that being said ,
When a car or multiple cars infront of you slow down and move to the left there is something going on and you are required to slow down and proceed with caution. Making the decision to pass them on the right is a completely insane move that demonstrates he was no longer able to make proper decisions.
As a result of his decision to consume the world's most insidious drug and get behind the wheel , many peoples lives will never be the same.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I believe that statistically, driving 20 under the limit leads to more accidents than 20 over

I wouldn't be surprised. 20 under isn't something I see very often at all though. But I'm not necessarily even talking about going over the speed limit specifically. I go 20 over all the time when I'm driving along highway number 1 and there's nobody around me. I'm talking about weaving in and out of rush hour traffic like an asshole. Or...passing slower cars and running over guys on bikes...

I have a 5 minute commute to work every morning on Henderson and in that short span I'll see 2 or 3 of these idiots pretty much every day. Suicide lane changes to the left or right to gain a car length or two. You watch them go and then pull up right beside them at the next lights. And, I know for a fact they cause accidents - the 5 day old car I had destroyed by one of them changing lanes right on top of me a few years back is all the evidence I need.

Last edited:

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Ya when 2 cars are doing that slow speed side by side its maddening, you have a rear-view mirror, use it once in a while.

Reactions: Guardian17

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I wouldn't be surprised. 20 under isn't something I see very often at all though. But I'm not necessarily even talking about going over the speed limit specifically. I go 20 over all the time when I'm driving along highway number 1 and there's nobody around me. I'm talking about weaving in and out of rush hour traffic like an asshole. Or...passing slower cars and running over guys on bikes...

I have a 5 minute commute to work every morning on Henderson and in that short span I'll see 2 or 3 of these idiots pretty much every day. Suicide lane changes to the left or right to gain a car length or two. You watch them go and then pull up right beside them at the next lights. And, I know for a fact they cause accidents - the 5 day old car I had destroyed by one of them changing lanes right on top of me a few years back is all the evidence I need.
I spend a lot of time on Bishop and Lag and I see 65 in an 80 every day

I get a chuckle whenever I see one of those NASCAR types driving like an idiot and passing me and then I pull up beside them at the next light. It's like "nice work, bro"

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
I think the States tack them on one after the other.
10 x 2 = 20 years I think is how they do it.

Not a lawyer, but there's two ways to serve multiple convictions: consecutively or concurrently.

Consecutively the sentences are served in order, which is what was described.

Concurrently the sentences are served at the same time, so in this example 10 x 2 would still be 10 years total.

The laws governing concurrently or consecutively varies by state. I think some states allows the judge to decide.

Here, the Supreme Court of Canada ruled consecutive sentences are unconstitutional, so there can only be concurrent sentences. That can be overruled, but it would require parliament to use the Non Withstanding clause to pass a law that would otherwise contradict the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
I think quite a few of us have been touched by impaired driving in one way or another. To me it is very clear cut, if you are drinking you have another way home. Bus, cab, Uber, DD , friend or family etc. The cost of transportation in the vast majority of situations is far less then what you spent on the booze in the 1st place.

Back in the wartime era, between the start of the motor-car age and World War 2, I could understand how societal pressures on what it meant to be a man, as well as a much different shape of automobile, as well as a complete dearth of alternatives, could have influenced "manly men" to not do something so "f*ggoty" as to get a cab after, what, only nine or ten beers?

I am reminded of the 1970 song "In The Summertime" by Mungo Jerry, which featured the line "Have a drink, have a drive, go out and see what you can find", I mean, that was more than half a century ago, right?

No excuse today.

There is no one that is ever so drunk that they can't just punch a couple buttons on their handheld super-powered computer, connected to earth's planet-wide information network, that can't get a responsible ride home for a reasonable price in half a dozen different ways.

At the end of the day, assuming you're such "a manly man" that you can't fathom not driving home, that means you drink like "a manly man" which means the cost of a safe ride home is literally the price of a single drink.

No excuse today, whatsoever, for this intolerable idiocy.

You are incorrect. It is beyond debate that the danger, cost, and toll of accidents are a strict function of the speed of the colliders. Now, if you're trying to give a free pass to the idiots who respond to "being behind someone driving under 20" by driving like a reckless lunatic, that's on you. But you're incorrect.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
All other things being equal, if I am in an accident driving X and you are in an accident driving X-20, there is no universe where you do more than a fraction of the harm I do.

You might think it's "their fault" because they were going slow, so therefore you had to lose your shit and go over the speed limit and drive like Speed Racer after three belts of cocaine, but it wasn't.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Back in the wartime era, between the start of the motor-car age and World War 2, I could understand how societal pressures on what it meant to be a man, as well as a much different shape of automobile, as well as a complete dearth of alternatives, could have influenced "manly men" to not do something so "f*ggoty" as to get a cab after, what, only nine or ten beers?

I am reminded of the 1970 song "In The Summertime" by Mungo Jerry, which featured the line "Have a drink, have a drive, go out and see what you can find", I mean, that was more than half a century ago, right?

No excuse today.

There is no one that is ever so drunk that they can't just punch a couple buttons on their handheld super-powered computer, connected to earth's planet-wide information network, that can't get a responsible ride home for a reasonable price in half a dozen different ways.

At the end of the day, assuming you're such "a manly man" that you can't fathom not driving home, that means you drink like "a manly man" which means the cost of a safe ride home is literally the price of a single drink.

No excuse today, whatsoever, for this intolerable idiocy.

You are incorrect. It is beyond debate that the danger, cost, and toll of accidents are a strict function of the speed of the colliders. Now, if you're trying to give a free pass to the idiots who respond to "being behind someone driving under 20" by driving like a reckless lunatic, that's on you. But you're incorrect.
Read the research. It's overwhelming. People going 30% under the speed limit cause 6X more accidents than people going 15% over

If you're gonna talk in such absolute terms, then at least post a reference or two. This has been studied extensively

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
Read the research. It's overwhelming. People going 30% under the speed limit cause 6X more accidents than people going 15% over

If you're gonna talk in such absolute terms, then at least post a reference or two. This has been studied extensively

zo2dt.jpg

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

Why isn't the comparison between cars going 30% under vs. 30% over? Seems like a bit of a flawed methodology. It's the car that's doing something drastically different than the rest of traffic that causes accidents.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Why isn't the comparison between cars going 30% under vs. 30% over? Seems like a bit of a flawed methodology. It's the car that's doing something drastically different than the rest of traffic that causes accidents.
From what I read, the slower drivers cause more accidents but the faster drivers cause accidents that are more catastrophic

They probably compared 30% under to 15% over because it's a similar absolute number of drivers

The point: keep up to the speed of traffic

Reactions: Jets 31

RestlessYoungZero

Jul 10, 2011
The point should be to drive to the damn speed limit. There are far too many drivers that think they constantly need to be passing others no matter what the speed is, there is no flow of traffic with those selfish asshats.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
The point should be to drive to the damn speed limit. There are far too many drivers that think they constantly need to be passing others no matter what the speed is, there is no flow of traffic with those selfish asshats.
People going too slow cause the people who are driving the limit to pass them, which is where the risk of accidents go up - especially on two lane roads where you have to pull out to pass

In other words, one idiot going way over the speed limit will pull out to pass a few cars. One idiot going way under the speed limit will cause everyone else to pull out and pass them

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
People going too slow cause the people who are driving the limit to pass them, which is where the risk of accidents go up - especially on two lane roads where you have to pull out to pass

In other words, one idiot going way over the speed limit will pull out to pass a few cars. One idiot going way under the speed limit will cause everyone else to pull out and pass them
So true.
Higgins is 100% at fault for drinking and driving but if the slow moving car in front of him who was behind the Gaudreau brothers would have just moved over a little bit instead of completely into the other lane ... Higgins would have not tried to pass him in the right lane.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad