Player Discussion John Tortorella vs Alain Vigneault

Machinehead

Jiminy Crickets Let's Cut the Hubris
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Also, AV is smarter but that's exactly what's wrong with AV.

He thinks he's the smartest hockey mind to ever coach a game and he'll keep tossing it up against the wall even when he's dead wrong.

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
I'd like a both option, if you look around at most of the league. But I think Torts is helped by being in a smaller media market, especially after the Vancouver/team USA disasters.

Open Mind

Nov 14, 2014
Can't really answer this other than to say Renney to Torts to AV worked out like the right guy at the right time, and that each former guy played an important role in moving the organization in the right direction and their times kind of came to move on. I appreciate all three.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
AV by far. While AV has his problems, Torts' nonsense was far more frustrating.

AV gets the edge just for realizing that it's actually a smart thing to have players on their off-side on the PP which is something Torts could never understand during his time with this team.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
After Campbell, Muckler, Low, Trottier, and Sather, it'll take a lot for me to diss a coach.

Renney, Torts, and AV have all been great.

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
I prefer Torts I guess... but they both have glaring issues with their coaching. Both are guilty of playing favourites and misusing players at times. That said, the team plays much more entertaining hockey under AV. He got lucky in that he inherited this team when they were contenders (IIRC), but he's still got us closer than anyone since '94.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
It's tough because in my eyes AV had the superior teams in terms of talent up and down the roster.

Torts was Gaborik and spare parts. Girardi-Staal the top pairing, guys like an aging Vinny Prospal and Eric Christensen having to play top line minutes. Find a team Torts had that is anywhere close to these teams the last 3 years for NYR.

Renney had quite possibly the most talented teams since the lockout in 06-07 and 07-08 and did little with them, so he's a far 3rd in my eyes.

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
I like(d) both of them. Warts for sure but each oversaw some of the most fun seasons I've experienced as a fan of this team.

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
You liked Torts' personnel decisions?

9ajA7.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad