Confirmed with Link: John Tortorella Named Assistant Coach of Team USA For 2025 4 Nations Face-Off

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey

giphy.gif

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Too lazy to look it up, but wasn't the last international showcase Torts coached the one where he left Phil Kessel off the team?
Not sure if that's the one but Tortorella was the HC for the 2016 World Cup of Hockey team with Dean Lombardi being the GM.

The US embarrassed themselves in that tournament.

Kessel was not on that roster.

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
Not sure if that's the one but Tortorella was the HC for the 2016 World Cup of Hockey team with Dean Lombardi being the GM.

The US embarrassed themselves in that tournament.

Kessel was not on that roster.

Kessel was actually the embodiment of the stereotype of “all offense no defense” lol. Highly, highly skilled player

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
In today's edition of HockeyBuzz, Meltzer mentions that Tortorella will probably be around the Flyers for the f future in some role or another. A strong possibility is that he goes into an advisory role when his current contract runs out.
Further he sees Mike Sullivan taking Tortorella's place behind the bench. Sullivan is Tortorella's protege and friend. Sullivan could be on the open market for a coaching gig after this season.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
In today's edition of HockeyBuzz, Meltzer mentions that Tortorella will probably be around the Flyers for the f future in some role or another. A strong possibility is that he goes into an advisory role when his current contract runs out.
Further he sees Mike Sullivan taking Tortorella's place behind the bench. Sullivan is Tortorella's protege and friend. Sullivan could be on the open market for a coaching gig after this season.

Horrible

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Unless Sullivan is fired, he is under contract to the Penguins for a few years (I think 2027). So the only other option to get him in Philadelphia would be a trade. Sullivan for Morgan Frost? (Just joking).

Related to this, I have become sure it no longer matters who they hire as coach. I've seen enough coaches come and go for a long enough time to notice that every coach ends up embracing conservative offense and focuses heavily on defense. Common denominator is the characters in management. They even turned AV into a defense-first coach, which sealed the deal on this pattern for me. No matter who they hire, management will beat it into their heads to crank down risk and crank up safety.

All this to say it would be very Flyers to trade our only 2Cish player for a coach and then order that coach to be someone else.

Solution

May 20, 2010
Cheswick, PA
Related to this, I have become sure it no longer matters who they hire as coach. I've seen enough coaches come and go for a long enough time to notice that every coach ends up embracing conservative offense and focuses heavily on defense. Common denominator is the characters in management. They even turned AV into a defense-first coach, which sealed the deal on this pattern for me. No matter who they hire, management will beat it into their heads to crank down risk and crank up safety.

All this to say it would be very Flyers to trade our only 2Cish player for a coach and then order that coach to be someone else.
To be fair up front, I would expect Sullivan to already come in coaching that style. He started off playing the young guys in Pittsburgh (who he coached in Wilkes-Barre/Scranton). However, like most NHL coaches he seems to have become more conservative over time. Whether that is because of complacency, job security, or a lack of prospects in the Penguins' farm system is open to debate.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad