John Scott: A Guy Like Me

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser
Hope he scores 10 goals in the game....in an 11-10 loss to the central. Pulling for the guy to beat pekka like a drum.

(well maybe we start dubnyk, and pekka throws up a doughnut on the east in a cup final preview....that's what I meant....right?)

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
honestly there are no winners in this John Scott situation. The bloggers that dreamed up this idea to get attention to their site, the internet voters that thought voting for Scott would be 'hilarious', the NHL front office for their handling of the situation, the GM's who colluded with the NHL to 'prevent' Scott from going.

All are losers.

Now the outrage is highest among the voting trolls who voted Scott in, without ever stopping to think it was a human being and his life and his career that you were toying with trying to be funny.

It's just a shame all the way around. The NHL should realize what a joke it is allowing online Allstar voting in today's world. The league should be ashamed of their attempts to then prevent him from playing by actually orchestrating running him out of the league. They should be ashamed that someone would attempt to use strong arm tactics against his family. PHX and MTL should be ashamed they went along with this 'trade' to help. (God forbid I hope Poile wasn't in on this since we were part of a side deal with MTL with Bartley, don't think he was since this looks like an actual hockey trade). But none of that damn sure doesn't excuse the bloggers and voters either.

Everyone though should be ashamed.

Cashville

RIP Lindback
Apr 12, 2011
Denver
I still place the blame first on the NHL, then PuckDaddy, then the fans. You don't give a child a fork near a running toaster and you shouldn't give fans a vote for the all-star game without any rails whatsoever. Sucks what that says about humanity as a whole, but the fan voting is just terrible most of the time. Look at 94-year old Kobe in the NBA voting this year. Hell, look at Trump right now for a grimmer picture of the voting process / Americans. Tack in the league's crap response to the cluster**** and they win.

As mentioned earlier, one fan vote per entry ticket or a similar mechanism would likely resolve some of the voting issues. The "enter as many votes as you want online" does not work.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
If you want to make it about the fans, you give them what they collectively say they want. It's not John Scott's fault that the NHL actually believes people give a **** about their all star game and reacted the way they did. Also where was the outrage when all of Latvia voted Girgensons in the game last season? I mean, good for them for getting their countryman in the game but he's not an all star by any stretch.

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
This is on the Arizona Coyotes for making it bigger than it should have been "asking for a trade so they don't feel embarrassed" ... a 4th liner/3rd pairing/spare part making the ASG is embarrassing and shouldn't have happened, this is essentially a skills competition and I'm still trying to find the skill that John Scott is good at ... It isn't skating, it isn't scoring, it isn't setting up other plays, someone tell me why he was invited again, oh yeah, ballot stuffing by the reddit clowns.

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser
Was he voted in as a joke? yeah. To his credit, he lobbied for his teammated to get voted in, so I don't think Scott is a loser in this at all. He knew it was a internet joke. But you know what? He gets a nice trip out of it. He gets to, no matter the circumstance, say he is an NHL All Star. He embraced it. He knew why he was voted in.

Once it was clear he was going to win the vote, the NHL should have embraced it. Embraced one of the last true enforcers and treat it as a celebration for those guys. You could have marketed the hell out of it. Bring down the Bob Proberts, Marty McSorelys, etc. So many great stories from those kind of guys and those are the ones who may be overlooked the most as far as player types nowadays. And all the while that was going on, they could have developed a new all star selection formula/ballot. All without looking like fools.

I have never seen a company screw up a cash cow more than the NHL did here.

Yukon Cornellis

aka Phoneguy
Mar 27, 2010
Hendersonville, TN
Was he voted in as a joke? yeah. To his credit, he lobbied for his teammated to get voted in, so I don't think Scott is a loser in this at all. He knew it was a internet joke. But you know what? He gets a nice trip out of it. He gets to, no matter the circumstance, say he is an NHL All Star. He embraced it. He knew why he was voted in.

Once it was clear he was going to win the vote, the NHL should have embraced it. Embraced one of the last true enforcers and treat it as a celebration for those guys. You could have marketed the hell out of it. Bring down the Bob Proberts, Marty McSorelys, etc. So many great stories from those kind of guys and those are the ones who may be overlooked the most as far as player types nowadays. And all the while that was going on, they could have developed a new all star selection formula/ballot. All without looking like fools.

I have never seen a company screw up a cash cow more than the NHL did here.

This x10000000. Well said.

Mass

Feb 18, 2013
Baltimore, MD
I've heard a number of people say they will tune in solely for the fact that Scott will be there. Let's see how the ratings turn out.

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
His all-star jersey was the first to sell out. And people were digging through to find a Scott t-shirt at the fan fair Friday.

I'm glad he came, I hope he has a lot of fun. However, he's in the hardest shot and if he beats Weber then all the good vibes will go out the window!

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
fans tonight gave him a big ovation, but he was too busy laughing at how badly Kane was getting booed

I didn't boo Kane, but I saw JS's reaction to it.

Kane was pretty funny later on when he said "but I'm on Nashville's team!" (or something to that effect). He'd get a much better reaction if he'd quit scoring on us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad