Waived: John Mitchell (clears)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

stpn47

Feb 10, 2012
Have absolutely no idea what we're doing here... Mitchell isn't even in the top 5 of the Avs' players that I would've waived. He's certainly a better player than Martinsen, McLeod, and both Bourques.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
McLeod has averaged 10:20, 11:11, and 10:32 the last three seasons, compared to 16:16, 15:51, and 15:15 for Mitchell.

The ice time and linemates make it pretty clear that Mitchell's spent considerable time in the top nine. I don't know why you are bothering arguing this.

I'm not arguing that he hasn't played in the top 9. I'm arguing that he has mostly played on the 4th line.

Mitchell also PK's. His ES ice time per game since then is about 12 minutes per game while Mcleod's is around 9.

stpn47

Feb 10, 2012
Mitchell also PK's. His ES ice time per game since then is about 12 minutes per game while Mcleod's is around 9.

He's seen a considerable amount of PP time in the last few years as well. Typically around ~1:30 per game.

stpn47

Feb 10, 2012
Making this whole thing even weirder is that the Avs were already only carrying 22 players... so if they needed a call up they could've just called someone up without waiving Mitchell.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Making this whole thing even weirder is that the Avs were already only carrying 22 players... so if they needed a call up they could've just called someone up without waiving Mitchell.

That likely just means they probably aren't sending him down if he's claimed. It's probably a shot in the dark to see if someone will take his salary for free.

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado
Meanwhile R. Bourque gets force fed top PP minutes without actually earning them.

This franchise does some weird things with bottom 6 players.

Cheapshot

May 23, 2012
Johnny malkin still remember him taking that point shot to the face while he was trying to block it while on the rangers for torts

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Johnny malkin still remember him taking that point shot to the face while he was trying to block it while on the rangers for torts

Did the same thing on the Avs:

[collapse=1]
Mitchell1-495x660_medium.jpg

[/collapse]

And of course, this injury:
[collapse=2]
1310892729926_ORIGINAL.jpg

[/collapse]

He's a tough player.

Mad Brills*

I'd take him over ben smith if babcock is obsessed with the checking 4C.

Taak19

Sep 22, 2011
Meanwhile R. Bourque gets force fed top PP minutes without actually earning them.

This franchise does some weird things with bottom 6 players.

Bourque has been one of the better players on the team the last few games..

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado
Bourque has been one of the better players on the team the last few games..

I don't know what you're watching that tells you that...

He's had a negative impact on the PP, he's been nowhere near effective enough at 5v5 to suggest that he belongs up there. Bourque's only redeeming quality is that he doesn't take penalties like Comeau does.

Bourque is just fine as a 4th liner, but he absolutely does not deserve to be on the top pp unit getting the ice time he does there. He isn't an offensive catalyst. The further we get from preseason, the worse he looks. Again, capable 12/13th forward. Not a guy that deserves to see the PP time he is. Keep him as the 12/13th forward and he's not a liability there. One more upside to him, he's not Cliche.

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado
9th forward (7th the year before) in points last year sucks because he has no points in 4 games (like 4 other forward including Rantanen) ?

While I don't agree with the "he sucks" quote, comparing him to Rantanen is laughable. Rantanen has played amazingly well. Mitchell isn't on that level. Mitchell is a great 4th liner. I don't agree with the waiving as McLeod and R. Bourque are far worse than him.

falconski

Unregistered User
Jan 21, 2008
His hustle made this OT magic happen too. No idea why he's being waived over roasted turds like Blake Comeau.

the oddest part about this play isn't the goalie at the blue line

it's that mitchell made a pass

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
While I don't agree with the "he sucks" quote, comparing him to Rantanen is laughable. Rantanen has played amazingly well. Mitchell isn't on that level. Mitchell is a great 4th liner. I don't agree with the waiving as McLeod and R. Bourque are far worse than him.

Of course Rantanen is better. John Mitchell isn't supposed to be waiver material though. AS you said, others should have been waived before him.

Also a question: can he play wing?

We could use a skater to push Flynn out of the line-up (even if he was somewhat good).

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado
Of course Rantanen is better. John Mitchell isn't supposed to be waiver material though. AS you said, others should have been waived before him.

Also a question: can he play wing?

We could use a skater to push Flynn out of the line-up (even if he was somewhat good).

He can play wing. He's played there with Duchene before. He fills in in the top 6 when injuries hit.

What else is weird about his being waived... they didn't need to. Unless this is a cap clearing move and they're making a deal it doesn't make sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad