Value of: John Klingberg

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
We are probably getting close to the point in the season where a trade market might begin to materialize. As an impending UFA, Klingberg is highly unlikely to finish this season on a Ducks team that has yet to win a game in regulation.

Are there particular teams that are looking like they may be a fit for Klingberg? Would assume they would include those who appear to be in the playoff picture, but lacking on the PP and/or offensively from the back end. Anaheim can surely do what's needed in order to make the cap work for whichever team(s) are interested.

Toronto was mentioned by Seravelli, but he seemed quite misinformed about Klingberg as a player.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Carolina was rumored to be interested last year and last offseason. The PP is really struggling; while not the primary issue, the point on the 2nd unit, currently occupied by Pesce, needs an upgrade. Jalen Chatfield is the type of incumbent that gets bumped to the pressbox when a team goes for it.

Hard to fathom the Canes’ FO paying the 1st round premium, however.

Reactions: steepdrop

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
I feel like Montreal would be a great long term fit, but I don't think they will be buyers at the TDL.

Florida feels like a team that could really use some RD help, even if he's a rental. They might be outbid, though, due to their lack of a 1st.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
We are probably getting close to the point in the season where a trade market might begin to materialize. As an impending UFA, Klingberg is highly unlikely to finish this season on a Ducks team that has yet to win a game in regulation.

Are there particular teams that are looking like they may be a fit for Klingberg? Would assume they would include those who appear to be in the playoff picture, but lacking on the PP and/or offensively from the back end. Anaheim can surely do what's needed in order to make the cap work for whichever team(s) are interested.

Toronto was mentioned by Seravelli, but he seemed quite misinformed about Klingberg as a player.

Shocker. :laugh:

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I think it's too early to tell who will be sellers and buyers. I think you have to wait until the end of January before really getting any idea.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I think it's too early to tell who will be sellers and buyers. I think you have to wait until the end of January before really getting any idea.

Well in some cases, you can certainly tell who the sellers are. The Ducks are about 20% through their season and still haven't beat a team in regulation. They won't be buying any rentals and surely won't be keeping one like Klingberg.

Your point does probably stand for a good portion of the middle of the league right now in the least. The discussion on Klingberg will probably go on at least into next month or longer. But it should be almost certainly a foregone conclusion he's getting dealt, if it wasn't already.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I feel like Montreal would be a great long term fit, but I don't think they will be buyers at the TDL.

Florida feels like a team that could really use some RD help, even if he's a rental. They might be outbid, though, due to their lack of a 1st.
Carolina was rumored to be interested last year and last offseason. The PP is really struggling; while not the primary issue, the point on the 2nd unit, currently occupied by Pesce, needs an upgrade. Jalen Chatfield is the type of incumbent that gets bumped to the pressbox when a team goes for it.

Hard to fathom the Canes’ FO paying the 1st round premium, however.

You know, as much as picks and prospect often are the return for rentals, and I'm sure many Ducks fans would probably be wanting another first rounder - I don't know if it's the best course for Anaheim. Assuming they are adding another elite young forward prospect early in this upcoming draft, they'll have quite the stockpile of young talent. As bad as the current team might be, at some point soon the Ducks focus should shift a bit away from stacking picks and prospects and more towards finding NHL help for their top young players.

Terry, Zegras, McTavish, Drysdale, Zellweger, Mintyukov and very possibly one of Bedard, Fantilli etc - that's a heck of a lot of young talent to build around. In terms of shopping one of their top trade pieces, maybe it makes more sense to exhaust all possibilities of a "hockey trade" where the Ducks get some talent that can supplement that young core immediately and moving forward. Good teams have all kinds of players on their depth chart that could probably find more opportunity in Anaheim.

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL

Florida? We have Ek, Montour (who's been playing very well), and Gudas on the right side, not sure why you think we need help there. We could definitely use someone to replace Staal on the left side, but the two waiver pickups in Mahura and Forsling have been great for us.

Reactions: Hobnobs

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Florida? We have Ek, Montour (who's been playing very well), and Gudas on the right side, not sure why you think we need help there. We could definitely use someone to replace Staal on the left side, but the two waiver pickups in Mahura and Forsling have been great for us.
Oh right, for some reason I thought Ek was out all year.

Reactions: Laus723

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
I'd probably swap Klingberg for Mayfield if Mayfield was open to signing an extension here. Not sure if that works for NYI. Otherwise go after him in UFA hopefully and try and get a first out of Klingberg.

Reactions: SmokeyDuck

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
I'd probably swap Klingberg for Mayfield if Mayfield was open to signing an extension here. Not sure if that works for NYI. Otherwise go after him in UFA hopefully and try and get a first out of Klingberg.
I think you are seriously underrating Mayfield here and his importance to the isles.

Reactions: Zubrus Coffee Maker

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
I think you are seriously underrating Mayfield here and his importance to the isles.
I'm sure they will keep him if they can. That being said he's 3rd on their RD depth even though he's better than a 3rd pairing player. The question is if they can keep him long term and if they needed more offense than Defense. Rental for a rental value wise. I'm not sure if they need Klingbergs offense. Which is why I wasn't sure if it works for NYI.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2012
Doubt any Klingberg deal happens until after New Years when his full NTC expires. The Ducks will obviously want to take the best offer available and not be limited by where he'd like to be.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Doubt any Klingberg deal happens until after New Years when his full NTC expires. The Ducks will obviously want to take the best offer available and not be limited by where he'd like to be.
He was on good Dallas team with other strong Dmen. Not the case for him now as the ducks are really Fowler and a bunch of other guys with Drysdale hurt and Manson/Lindholm traded last season. So his warts are going to be more glaring now than it was with a deeper Dallas blue line.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

as of now he’s not getting a 1st when other teams could have signed him. The league might investigate cap circumvention if he’s traded around now With retention. A deal near the deadline wouldn’t be looked into.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
as of now he’s not getting a 1st when other teams could have signed him. The league might investigate cap circumvention if he’s traded around now With retention. A deal near the deadline wouldn’t be looked into.
Well first of all he has a full NTC until January 1st and it becomes a 10 team NTC, so trading him now is not happening. Second of all, if they traded him now it wouldn't be investigated for cap circumvention. The Ducks singed him to play on their team and move him for a max return and he signed a show me contract with the Ducks in order to maximize his next contract. Him being traded halfway through the season is exactly what both sides expected when they agreed to this contract.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Well first of all he has a full NTC until January 1st and it becomes a 10 team NTC, so trading him now is not happening. Second of all, if they traded him now it wouldn't be investigated for cap circumvention. The Ducks singed him to play on their team and move him for a max return and he signed a show me contract with the Ducks in order to maximize his next contract. Him being traded halfway through the season is exactly what both sides expected when they agreed to this contract.

false

him signing a high contract then is traded at 50% to team X will get investigated for circumvention unless it’s near the deadline.

any deal anyone signs fall into this.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
false

him signing a high contract then is traded at 50% to team X will get investigated for circumvention unless it’s near the deadline.

When has it ever happened before? They would need to prove collusion between the 3 parties that Klingberg only signed with the Ducks in order to get to the other team at 50%.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
false

Its a one year deal. He was signed as a FREE AGENT with the high probability that he be traded. There is no plausible scenario that this could be viewed as cap circumvention.

How many trades have we seen where Team A trades the a player to Team B, which then retains and immediately trades the player to Team C? The sole purpose of that type of trade is for team B to asborb cap (in exchange for assets) and to "circumvent" cap. The league allows it.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Depending on what his former coach thinks of him, I could see in Boston for a first and a middling d prospect. It would be nice to have the ability to put out a pp unit with two d consistently.
I actually thought the bruins would make a lot of sense... His expectations in Boston would be a lot lower than in anaheim... in boston he has guys like Lindholm/Mcavoy/Carlo/Gryz to do the heavy lifting.

They are also at a point where i dont think picks matter much for them.... might as well go all in while Bergeron/Marchand/krejci are still workin out for them. The last dmen that the bruins traded for from Anaheim has worked out rather nice :D

Reactions: quietbruinfan

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
I actually thought the bruins would make a lot of sense... His expectations in Boston would be a lot lower than in anaheim... in boston he has guys like Lindholm/Mcavoy/Carlo/Gryz to do the heavy lifting.

They are also at a point where i dont think picks matter much for them.... might as well go all in while Bergeron/Marchand/krejci are still workin out for them. The last dmen that the bruins traded for from Anaheim has worked out rather nice :D
yes to all that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad