John Klingberg - Done In the NHL After $45M Blunder?

Danarqhy

Oct 27, 2022
Check Republic
youtube.com
John Klingberg played hardball with the Dallas Stars as he refused an 8-year-deal at $7M AAV in 2022 and it backfired on him in spectacular fashion as he was forced to take a 1 year show-me deal with the Ducks. Basically he f'd around and found out, and missed out on a huge long term deal and tens of millions in the process. About $45M. OUCH.

To make matters worse he was injured early in his Maple Leafs stint and barely played in 2023-2024. It's July 4th now and Klinger hasn't signed. Is he done in the NHL for good? And how crazy was his reluctance to sign with the Stars? One of the absolute biggest fumbling the bag moments in NHL history.

Discuss.

• Wow
Reactions: TheStatican

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
7dmvjfmh89t71.jpg

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
Having watched this Swedish giraffe play...yeah, there was no way the show-me contract was going to justify anything other than a massive pay cut.

Sucks to some extent for him, but millionaires can only have so much to complain about.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
The narrative should be: John Klingberg is the greatest guy in hockey for not signing the contract that would be one of the worst in hockey and everyone would have hated him for it.

Even from his personal standpoint, don't know if it's worse to miss out on that money (considering his financial position already) or be hated and scrutinized for years due to the contract you signed.

Skeletorrr

May 15, 2011
Finland
John Klingberg played hardball with the Dallas Stars as he refused an 8-year-deal at $7M AAV in 2022 and it backfired on him in spectacular fashion as he was forced to take a 1 year show-me deal with the Ducks. Basically he f'd around and found out, and missed out on a huge long term deal and tens of millions in the process. About $45M. OUCH.

To make matters worse he was injured early in his Maple Leafs stint and barely played in 2023-2024. It's July 4th now and Klinger hasn't signed. Is he done in the NHL for good? And how crazy was his reluctance to sign with the Stars? One of the absolute biggest fumbling the bag moments in NHL history.

Discuss.
He was about to cash in but then Heiskanen happened. I don't think he's out of the league but he will definitely have to take a paycut.
I don't know jack shit but I think his ego took a big blow when the Stars just decided to walk away from him.

elmaco

Registered Hockey Fan
Feb 1, 2017
The narrative should be: John Klingberg is the greatest guy in hockey for not signing the contract that would be one of the worst in hockey and everyone would have hated him for it.

Even from his personal standpoint, don't know if it's worse to miss out on that money (considering his financial position already) or be hated and scrutinized for years due to the contract you signed.
Yeah he saw in to the future and refused the offer because it would hamper the Stars cup chances. Thank you, John Klingberg.

Nogatco Rd

Translator spent all my HF cash
Apr 3, 2021
Once upon a time there was a Chinese farmer whose horse ran away. That evening, all of his neighbors came around to commiserate. They said, “We are so sorry to hear your horse has run away. This is most unfortunate.” The farmer said, “Maybe.”

The next day the horse came back bringing seven wild horses with it, and in the evening everybody came back and said, “Oh, isn’t that lucky. What a great turn of events. You now have eight horses!” The farmer again said, “Maybe.”

The following day his son tried to break one of the horses, and while riding it, he was thrown and broke his leg. The neighbors then said, “Oh dear, that’s too bad,” and the farmer responded, “Maybe.”

The next day the conscription officers came around to conscript people into the army, and they rejected his son because he had a broken leg. Again all the neighbors came around and said, “Isn’t that great!” Again, he said, “Maybe.”

The whole process of nature is an integrated process of immense complexity, and it’s really impossible to tell whether anything that happens in it is good or bad — because you never know what will be the consequence of the misfortune; or, you never know what will be the consequences of good fortune.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Once upon a time there was a Chinese farmer whose horse ran away. That evening, all of his neighbors came around to commiserate. They said, “We are so sorry to hear your horse has run away. This is most unfortunate.” The farmer said, “Maybe.”

The next day the horse came back bringing seven wild horses with it, and in the evening everybody came back and said, “Oh, isn’t that lucky. What a great turn of events. You now have eight horses!” The farmer again said, “Maybe.”

The following day his son tried to break one of the horses, and while riding it, he was thrown and broke his leg. The neighbors then said, “Oh dear, that’s too bad,” and the farmer responded, “Maybe.”

The next day the conscription officers came around to conscript people into the army, and they rejected his son because he had a broken leg. Again all the neighbors came around and said, “Isn’t that great!” Again, he said, “Maybe.”

The whole process of nature is an integrated process of immense complexity, and it’s really impossible to tell whether anything that happens in it is good or bad — because you never know what will be the consequence of the misfortune; or, you never know what will be the consequences of good fortune.
I came to say, “I’m sure he’ll be fine and probably doesn’t really care”…..but you said it a lot better. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad