Confirmed with Link: Johansson traded to NJD for 2nd and 3rd rd picks in 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 19, 2008
Guys all the overreaction has to stop and I'm purely talking as someone who has heavy money invested in the organization as STH but I'm not jumping off the ship yet. We still got a long way to go until the pre-season rolls around. Yes a lot of the attrition has been concerning but let's see how the team handles it. Again still got a core of pretty good talent on this team.

WcRoenick97

Apr 6, 2008
D.C.
Love that we finally got rid of Mojo. The best thing he ever did was that elimination goal against the Leafs but he flubbed so many other chances over the years. Now I don't know who to hate on this team.:laugh:

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
I just don't get how Eller for two second round picks with a 3.5m cap hit for two years is worth more in GMBM's eyes than a younger, consistent 50-point speedy winger priced very favarouably. It just makes no sense.

One thing to note: Schmidt and Mojo were both players who Trotz said last year were 'part of our long term plans' going forwards. I'd love to know what that plan was.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany

This highlights my issue with this move. It's like they're making moves to keep relevant names but not win games. From last season you knew these guys were gonna need to be signed and you knew you were gonna be cap crunched. How do you wait THIS long to move Mojo? Why not make a move with Mojo for assets from Vegas to not take Schmidt?

How do we know he didn't try.

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
If they're trading MoJo, they should have done it before the expansion draft and protected Schmidt. This reeks of lack of foresight from the management. It's not like they didn't know that Kuznetsov, Orlov, and Oshie were going to be free agents this off-season. They should have been able to get an idea of what they were going to cost well before the expansion draft. Awful.

Exactly this. This shows that MacLellan and his staff didn't see any of this coming. We could have traded MoJo (and I still think for more than this 2.d and 3rd), went 4-4-1 and protected Schmidt.

Protect Ovi, Backstrom, Burakovsky, Kuznetsov

Protect Niskanen, Orlov, Schmidt, Carlson

Protect Holtby

Done, and you still have the return for MoJo.

Who do you lose? Grubauer? Beagle? Eller? Wilson? Who cares?

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO

This highlights my issue with this move. It's like they're making moves to keep relevant names but not win games. From last season you knew these guys were gonna need to be signed and you knew you were gonna be cap crunched. How do you wait THIS long to move Mojo? Why not make a move with Mojo for assets from Vegas to not take Schmidt?

That's probably the plan. If they really wanted to win this would be the offseason to get rid of Ovechkin.

Ted seems to be satisfied with the jersey sales and 2nd round exits.

Time to check out of this horrible fan experience.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Well. The return sucks.

But trading Mojo is a right step most probably.

But the return sucks big time.

Monsterrain

Mar 4, 2013
Maryland
Love that we finally got rid of Mojo. The best thing he ever did was that elimination goal against the Leafs but he flubbed so many other chances over the years. Now I don't know who to hate on this team.:laugh:

Thank god there's someone else with some sense around here. Mojo stunk. Most of his points were from scraps off the 1st pp. Turnover machine who couldnt convert on key chances when needed.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
tumblr_mv8q70YIrE1qgi05ko1_400.gif

They don't even really open up much cap space to spend after this. Maybe they'll have another net $2M to spend after Bura/Gru but that won't get a top six W or top 4 D that's anything more than a stopgap.

There's just nothing about this off-season thus far suggesting there's an intelligent plan behind it. The cap math all along has been ridiculous, to say nothing of attempting a coherent change.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Thank god there's someone else with some sense around here. Mojo stunk. Most of his points were from scraps off the 1st pp. Turnover machine who couldnt convert on key chances when needed.

You seem to be missing the issue. Trading him isn't it. Garbage return and questionable expansion draft choices are.

Coldplay619

Oct 17, 2010
*throws lines in the garbage*

It's amazing how un-optimized this team's lines were under Barry.

Don't have to worry about him forgoing the Tre Konor line anymore :laugh:

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011

He had 19 of his 58 points on the powerplay. I'm to lazy to do the math for everyone else on the team, but that'd alone put him in the top 8 players on this team with counting power play points for everyone else.

So...you're wrong, but okay.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Because then there's no reason to not go 4-4-1.

My point is, we don't know what deals we're tried to be made, what verbal agreements they thought they had, or maybe they gambled. And this is for grubs, Schmidt, mojo, etc. this is a bad deal and it tells me that me we had a plan that got blown up somewhere. Hopefully we find out the entire story later.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
My point is, we don't know what deals we're tried to be made, what verbal agreements they thought they had, or maybe they gambled. And this is for grubs, Schmidt, mojo, etc. this is a bad deal and it tells me that me we had a plan that got blown up somewhere. Hopefully we find out the entire story later.

I mean even if they take Grubauer instead of Schmidt we're in this exact same situation.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Now Connolly is 3rd line winger and maybe even 2nd line if Vrana and Wilson won't be better. Makes some sense opposing to Connolly @ 4th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad