Joffrey Lupul

Sonofamitch

Aug 2, 2013
Vaughan,ON
He needs 13 goals and 26pts in 22 games to fish 30/30 , he's also never had a 30 goal season .

He might not hit thirty this year, i may have exaggerated his stats. But if he gets hot along with Kadri like they did last year i can see him hitting 24-27 goals this year. If he was healthy all year 30 wasn't even a question.

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006
I'm not saying Lupul shouldn't be criticized, every player deserves to be criticized. Lupul has made tons of strides in his game, he's not the same player he was for the ducks. I just don't understand the blind rage some fans have. People went from throwing Kadri in every proposal possible, praising Holland as his replacement, labelling him a bust to now again worshiping the ground he walks on in a matter of 3 weeks. Players have cold streaks, some players don't play as good overall as they do when there scoring. When Lupul is scoring and his motivated his defensive game will come around. Give it a couple of weeks a rested Lupul will score a couple of big goals, and everyone will be on his Jock again praising him as our "real" captain.

Curious, where was the example of blind rage in this thread? It's been down right civil around here.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
I'm not saying Lupul shouldn't be criticized, every player deserves to be criticized. Lupul has made tons of strides in his game, he's not the same player he was for the ducks. I just don't understand the blind rage some fans have. People went from throwing Kadri in every proposal possible, praising Holland as his replacement, labelling him a bust to now again worshiping the ground he walks on in a matter of 3 weeks. Players have cold streaks, some players don't play as good overall as they do when there scoring. When Lupul is scoring and his motivated his defensive game will come around. Give it a couple of weeks a rested Lupul will score a couple of big goals, and everyone will be on his Jock again praising him as our "real" captain.

Blind rage? If anything, people are really soft on Lupul compared to other guys on the team. The worst I've seen people say about the guy is that he's injury prone and they are unsure of him being a core piece to a young team moving forward so they would prefer to flip him for a young piece or a draft pick. That isn't blind rage.

Seriously take a look around...how many people are criticizing his production. Lupul is managing points but isn't looking as good as he has in the past while doing it. Is it because he's injured? His durability is already a huge concern. Is he going through something personal? Is it just a bad stretch? There are many possibilities and without knowing what they are, we can only talk about the results we see, not the reason for it. As for his defensive game...he has his good moments but he's never been strong defensively. The number show it...his performances show it. People are mentioning it now because he's worse than usual this season.

As for people talking about our real captain, our captain's name is Phaneuf and people who want to talk nonsense about Lupul being the guy can seriously take a hike. Phaneuf and Kessel shoulder the most responsibilities for this team. Love affairs with blue eyes and a well spoken demeanour doesn't change reality.

And for the record, when you tell people to stop crying over his defensive game, you are taking offense to a criticism about him...so yes, in a way you are saying people shouldn't criticize him.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I'm just hoping he's holding back and saving himself for the playoffs because his play for the majority of the season has been underwhelming to say the least , regardless of the points he's put up so far .

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
He hasn't been playing as well this year as the 2 years before, but I don't think he's been awful either. I think we should try to mix up the lines a bit - Raymond has been playing well, but Raymond - Kadri - Lupul hasn't really been clicking overall. The line lacks a player who can consistently win puck battles, too many perimiter players IMO. Right before the Olympic break Carlyle started experimenting with Lupul - Kadri - Clarkson, I think he should give that line a very extended look to see how it does. With Bolland (and Holland) coming back, we could roll with something like this:

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Clarkson
Raymond - Bolland - Kulemin
Holland - McClement - Bodie/fighter (depending on opponent)

I can see pretty much everyone thriving with lines like that, including Lupul. Also, he has been picking it up a bit, both in terms of how he looks on the ice, and his stats.

First 33 games:
9 goals, 21 points, -10

Last 18 games:
6 goals, 13 points, even

mikebel111*

He hasn't been playing as well this year as the 2 years before, but I don't think he's been awful either. I think we should try to mix up the lines a bit - Raymond has been playing well, but Raymond - Kadri - Lupul hasn't really been clicking overall. The line lacks a player who can consistently win puck battles, too many perimiter players IMO. Right before the Olympic break Carlyle started experimenting with Lupul - Kadri - Clarkson, I think he should give that line a very extended look to see how it does. With Bolland (and Holland) coming back, we could roll with something like this:

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Clarkson

I can see pretty much everyone thriving with lines like that, including Lupul. Also, he has been picking it up a bit, both in terms of how he looks on the ice, and his stats.

First 33 games:
9 goals, 21 points, -10

Last 18 games:
6 goals, 13 points, even

Raymond hasnt been on that line for like 12 games now. So that cant be a problem now.

Simply lupul needs to pick it up and i am confident he does

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Raymond hasnt been on that line for like 12 games now. So that cant be a problem now.

Simply lupul needs to pick it up and i am confident he does
We were rolling Raymond-Kadri-Lupul for most of the season, then Kulemin-Kadri-Lupul for a bit, and most recently Lupul-Kadri-Clarkson just for the last couple games. I liked how that last line looked together, and would like to see them given a fair bit of time to click.

Definitely not blaming Raymond, I think he's been playing very well all season. However, Lupul and Kadri are players who are both outmuscled fairly easily, and Raymond is too, so when all 3 were together I think they had some problems because of that. Kulemin was an improvement in that regard, and Clarkson is an even bigger improvement. With Clarkson on the line, Lupul and Kadri can focus on finesse offence from the perimeter, which is what they do best, while Clarkson can just be a grinding bulldog in the corners and in front of the net, which is what he does best. Obviously Lupul and Kadri just need to play well too, but I think this line puts everyone in a position to succeed. I also think Raymond-Bolland-Kulemin will be a hell of a line.

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011
I just think the ravages of constant injures has finally caught up to him so altho only 30 years old chronologically, his NHL body is more like late 30s, let's hope he has something left for the playoffs.

HockeyThoughts

Delivering The Truth
Jul 23, 2007
Mississauga
I just think the ravages of constant injures has finally caught up to him so altho only 30 years old chronologically, his NHL body is more like late 30s, let's hope he has something left for the playoffs.
What makes people make such dramatic statements lol..

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
We were rolling Raymond-Kadri-Lupul for most of the season, then Kulemin-Kadri-Lupul for a bit, and most recently Lupul-Kadri-Clarkson just for the last couple games. I liked how that last line looked together, and would like to see them given a fair bit of time to click.

Definitely not blaming Raymond, I think he's been playing very well all season. However, Lupul and Kadri are players who are both outmuscled fairly easily, and Raymond is too, so when all 3 were together I think they had some problems because of that. Kulemin was an improvement in that regard, and Clarkson is an even bigger improvement. With Clarkson on the line, Lupul and Kadri can focus on finesse offence from the perimeter, which is what they do best, while Clarkson can just be a grinding bulldog in the corners and in front of the net, which is what he does best. Obviously Lupul and Kadri just need to play well too, but I think this line puts everyone in a position to succeed. I also think Raymond-Bolland-Kulemin will be a hell of a line.

We really need Clarkson to find a place on that line due to his horrid contract.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Clarkson

First 33 games:
9 goals, 21 points, -10

Last 18 games:
6 goals, 13 points, even

i like these lines. the problem is that holland is on the 4th line and there's not really a place for him. maybe we should consider trying something like:

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Holland - Kadri
Raymond - Bolland - Clarkson
Kulemin - McClement - D'Amigo

If only one of Holland and Kadri can be a center, I think Holland is probably more suited for the role. I think Kadri can still be effective on the wing, though it will take some getting used to.

I guess I really think that Holland is a good player and that we might as well use him if we can.

I remember a game when Kulemin - McClement - D'Amigo was our 3rd line and it was excellent. If it's a 4th line, it can actually play a lot of minutes and give our other lines time to rest. and Kulemin and McClement will be available for PK duties.

I also thought that Clarkson looked great with Bolland, so I think it's a good idea to put those two on the same line.

Some people might want to switch Raymond and Kulemin around, which is fine too cause a Kulemin - Bolland - Clarkson line looks great also... but Raymond is better at putting the puck in the net and i'd rather a player that can add that depth scoring rather than kulemin who seems to like to focus on his checking role.

though i am worried about bolland when he comes back. i'm hoping that he'll be just as good as he was when he go injured, but i'm worried that's not going to be the case.

but i am excited to see a full and healthy roster

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
What makes people make such dramatic statements lol..

The guy is glass, and unlucky, but the injuries are spread all over the place. My only concern is the concussions because he has had a few, but they have been well spaced apart. Even in a bad year he has had games where he has been a beast and the best player on the ice. As long as he is healthy for the playoffs he is probably worth the money.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Disagree, respectfully. I can think of a number of clubs who would probably love Lupul for his leadership and his skill set.

The guy just posts to get a rise out of people, Lupul has a good value contract.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
3) Spamming: Please do not double post or cross-post the same message in multiple forums. You will not PM or email multiple members of this site the same message. This includes "bump threads" and posts intended merely to increase one's post count. Worthless posts with no content and nonsensical posts eat up space and waste everyone's time. One or two word responses such as "Me Too", "I agree", "great post!", smileys not accompanied by content, and similar responses may be considered spam. Creating large blank areas in posts is spam. These are not allowed on the hockey forums. Fantasy League announcements/solicitations are to be posted in the Fantasy Talk and Hockey Video Games Forum ONLY. If you solicit on our other forums you will be given an infraction for spamming and your posts will be deleted. Moderators on the team forums are permitted to allow a fantasy league thread or two for that team's fans (e.g., NY Ranger Fans Yahoo Fantasy League). Anything beyond that must use the Fantasy forum. Only free fantasy leagues are permitted. If you're charging money for it, take out an ad.

Durkin67

Respectfully, I can't agree with your assessment of Lupul. While he may be injury-prone, and not the best two-way guy, I don't agree that he is easily outmuscled or knocked off the puck. Until recently, Clarkson, for whom I continue to have high hopes, was the guy who couldnt win a 50-50 battle for love or money. He couldnt stay upright long enough until some time in January. He was playing much better in the last few weeks before the break, going hard to the net and initiating a heavy forecheck. His comfort level is improving it appears.

If Lupes appears tentative I suggest it may be that he isn't 100% right physically, but still healthy enough to go. I dont see him avoiding contact though.

Durkin67

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Clarkson

First 33 games:
9 goals, 21 points, -10

Last 18 games:
6 goals, 13 points, even

Agree re Bodie. Very effective grinder/forechecker with a knack for causing turnovers oin the offensive zone. Those lines look good. If there was anything I would change, it might be adding Komarov and letting Holland win a Calder with the Marlies. Holland is too skilled to play 4 minutes a night. Let him play meaningful hockey in the A until next year.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Maybe the break will signal a new Lupul for the remainder of the year. He has been inconsistent and too infrequent a non factor for us this year.

mikebel111*

Maybe the break will signal a new Lupul for the remainder of the year. He has been inconsistent and too infrequent a non factor for us this year.

U would think that with kadri playing great, he would start going as well. But nope. Carlyle is torn on what to do with joffery.

With bolland most likely returning against the isles.

The line up is probaby going to be

First line stays the same. No doubt about it.

The third line is probably going to be. Raymond-bolland-kulimen, clarkson

Raymond and bolland was a great pair in the start of the season.

What does RC do?

Lupul-kadri-kulimen, clarkson

There is no where we can put lupul aside from kadri line.

Or could put him with bolland, and than have clarkson and kulimen with kadri. However i would rather have a wing grinder on each line.
Tough decisions for randy

Stu

Nov 20, 2008
Raleigh, NC
Kessel - Bozak - JvR
Lupul - Kadri - Clarkson
Holland - Kulemin - Raymond
McClement - Bolland - Bodie

Or switch Bolland and Holland.

mikebel111*

Kessel - Bozak - JvR
Lupul - Kadri - Clarkson
Holland - Kulemin - Raymond
McClement - Bolland - Bodie

Or switch Bolland and Holland.

Bolland isnt going to be 4th line C. He is a great 3rd line C. Yes i know kuli did well at C but natural C is better there. And than mac as 4th line C, with either orr, or ashton on the other wing

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Maybe he's just declining as a player. He doesn't have a lot of mileage on him per se because he's missed so much time, but his body is fairly beat up for a guy who recently turned 30.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
With jvr and kessel playing so incredible, lupul has dropped to 3rd favourite winger in Toronto. All the way from first a couple seasons ago, when he was being proclaimed toronto's next captain (even by me).

I know he hasn't looked the same, but neither did Grabo/Kulemin and MacArthur once they lost the 1st liner perks.

How much has lupuls pp time regressed since the emergence of jvr?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad