Joe Pavelski Officially Retires

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

YUPPY 2 7 10 11

Oct 5, 2020
Thank you Joe for playing your heart out for the Sharks on that night where the Sharks came back and beat VGK in the playoff. Sharks fans will never forget that night. Congratulations on an incredible career, Captain America!
👏

Last edited:

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
Mount Rushmore of Sharks easy

When is the Pavelski Appreciation Night/jersey retirement

I'd like to see a Pavs "one day ceremonial contract to retire as a Shark" first, or even some sort of press conference with Grier this summer about his retirement.

ChompChomp

Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
Considering GP and everything, the greatest draft pick in Sharks's history.

Yes. And even if you take out draft round from the analysis, he's the second greatest draft pick in Sharks history behind Marleau. We have the November retiring of Thornton's jersey, we should have a March/April retirement of Pavs' jersey.

And then start a Sharks ring of honor for other guys like Nabby, Ricci, etc without retiring their numbers.

Reactions: Sandisfan

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Yes. And even if you take out draft round from the analysis, he's the second greatest draft pick in Sharks history behind Marleau. We have the November retiring of Thornton's jersey, we should have a March/April retirement of Pavs' jersey.

And then start a Sharks ring of honor for other guys like Nabby, Ricci, etc without retiring their numbers.
My initial caveat was for Kiprusoff; he's probably the best player the Sharks have ever drafted, but the fact that he did it with another team complicates the analysis.

Otherwise, I take Pavelski over Marleau regardless of round. The latter had a better career, but when it comes to prime and especially peak, I think Pavelski was better (and the Sharks got Pavelski's peak and most of his prime).

Reactions: Sandisfan and Cas

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
My initial caveat was for Kiprusoff; he's probably the best player the Sharks have ever drafted, but the fact that he did it with another team complicates the analysis.

Otherwise, I take Pavelski over Marleau regardless of round. The latter had a better career, but when it comes to prime and especially peak, I think Pavelski was better (and the Sharks got Pavelski's peak and most of his prime).
What do you consider peak?

If it is when it was at there best statistically then that doesn't fit for pavelski in a sharks uniform. As marleau has him beat in goals and points in a season.

Pavs only had 1 80 point season (didn’t happen as a shark), marleau had 2. Pavs had 3 70 point seasons, marleau had 3.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Loved Pavs, best of luck in retirement

I wonder if #8 gets retired one day, he doesn't have the slam dunk statistical resume that Thornton and Marleau have, but he was the captain of the team during all their best years, will be an interesting decision since 3 numbers would be a lot to retire for a team that never won a cup

CJL182

Oct 9, 2008
Thanks for everything Cap. 🫡 What an incredible career. Pavs and Pickles are the first two up and coming prospects that I followed closely after I started to go to games regularly. Man, time flies. I hope he comes back to the org in some capacity some day.

ChompChomp

Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX

Maybe I should have said greatest Sharks draft pick ever who predominantly played for the Sharks, because I don't really care about any Sharks draft picks, good or bad, that went on to have great careers with other teams.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Loved Pavs, best of luck in retirement

I wonder if #8 gets retired one day, he doesn't have the slam dunk statistical resume that Thornton and Marleau have, but he was the captain of the team during all their best years, will be an interesting decision since 3 numbers would be a lot to retire for a team that never won a cup
I think Pavs gets his number retired. I think he's earned it. I also hope he comes to work for the team one day as well. I think he could make a really good coach if that's what he wants to do but I suspect that at least initially his first few years of retirement may be centered around his kid's development.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
What do you consider peak?

If it is when it was at there best statistically then that doesn't fit for pavelski in a sharks uniform. As marleau has him beat in goals and points in a season.

Pavs only had 1 80 point season (didn’t happen as a shark), marleau had 2. Pavs had 3 70 point seasons, marleau had 3.
The argument probably goes that Pavelski was better defensively and played his best years in a slightly more difficult environment to score:

By Adjusted Points:

Marleau - 89, 84, 79, 79, 78, 74, 71, 66, 64, 63, 59, 56, 54, 52, 51, 51
Pavelski - 88, 88, 78, 77, 77, 75, 73, 71, 68, 67, 64, 64, 61, 59, 54, 43

I'm not wholly convinced, but it's an argument worth taking seriously.

TheBigDrunkPanda

Oct 19, 2021
The argument probably goes that Pavelski was better defensively and played his best years in a slightly more difficult environment to score:

By Adjusted Points:

Uh Marleau started his career in the peak of the clutch and grab era aka dead puck Pavelski came into the league when it opened up and goalie pads shrunk it’s not a coincidence scoring went up after the rule changes.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose

This is a pretty wild take. Kiprusoff didn’t become an NHL starter until the was 27. Don’t get me wrong, he had a good career once he got to that point with impressive durability, but it was essentially 9 seasons. Pavelski and Marleau both played 18+ seasons. I certainly appreciate what Kiprusoff did in his career but I don’t think he’s in the conversation for best Sharks draft pick ever.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002

By Adjusted Points:

This! 2013-2016 Pavelski has that AS nomination (albeit 2nd team), finished top-10 in goals all three years, top-10 in points twice, and was excellent defensively (I think by the advanced stats metrics he was the best player in the league in 2016, for what that is worth). That's stretching the definition of peak a little (3 years vs 1-2 years). But Marleau can't quite compare. He finished twice in top-10 in goals IIRC...he probably should have been on the all-star team in 2010, as a winger, but even then he ultimately didn't do it and I'll take the center over the winger.

This is a pretty wild take. Kiprusoff didn’t become an NHL starter until the was 27. Don’t get me wrong, he had a good career once he got to that point with impressive durability, but it was essentially 9 seasons. Pavelski and Marleau both played 18+ seasons. I certainly appreciate what Kiprusoff did in his career but I don’t think he’s in the conversation for best Sharks draft pick ever.
It's a fair point. Kiprusoff's peak was amazing, and his prime was also excellent (better than the other two). He suffers from poor longevity, but I value peak and prime much more over career.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
It's a fair point. Kiprusoff's peak was amazing, and his prime was also excellent (better than the other two). He suffers from poor longevity, but I value peak and prime much more over career.
That’s fair, but that criteria also brings Vlasic into the conversation.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
This! 2013-2016 Pavelski has that AS nomination (albeit 2nd team), finished top-10 in goals all three years, top-10 in points twice, and was excellent defensively (I think by the advanced stats metrics he was the best player in the league in 2016, for what that is worth). That's stretching the definition of peak a little (3 years vs 1-2 years). But Marleau can't quite compare. He finished twice in top-10 in goals IIRC...he probably should have been on the all-star team in 2010, as a winger, but even then he ultimately didn't do it and I'll take the center over the winger.

But when pavelski was having his best years he was not used as a center, he was a winger. Marleaus best years came as a center though.

• Wow

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
That’s fair, but that criteria also brings Vlasic into the conversation.
Vlasic was great, but never close to the Norris, even at his peak or prime.
But when pavelski was having his best years he was not used as a center, he was a winger. Marleaus best years came as a center though.
True, Pavelski was a winger by 2014, but wasn't Marleau a winger from 2010 onwards?

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Vlasic was great, but never close to the Norris, even at his peak or prime.

True, Pavelski was a winger by 2014, but wasn't Marleau a winger from 2010 onwards?
Yes year 1 of heatley in teal. But marleau's peak happened before that time, 2005-06 to 2009-10 (so 1 year of being a winger and with Thornton full time)

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
Some here have seen me praise Joe Pavelski before. I admire him as a professional. He made my hockey life mean something, myself being smaller and fighting to rise above. I did that most of my life but watching Pavs attain what he did brought me satisfaction.
I pray that he gets his way back here in some capacity. He’s a Shark for life in my eyes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad