Value of: Joe Pavelski, Brock Nelson, Tomas Hertl

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Nelson won't be traded. Doubt Pavelski is traded either unless Dallas lose like 10 straight at some point.

Hertl is probably a wait and see. I think San Jose tries to re-sign him but if they can't get it done I guess they trade him.

In terms if return it'll be the usual. 1st + B Prospect. Maybe a conditional pick based on playoff performance sort of thing.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Nelson won't be traded. Doubt Pavelski is traded either unless Dallas lose like 10 straight at some point.

Hertl is probably a wait and see. I think San Jose tries to re-sign him but if they can't get it done I guess they trade him.

In terms if return it'll be the usual. 1st + B Prospect. Maybe a conditional pick based on playoff performance sort of thing.
Hertl will cost more than a 1st+b prospect. Unless we have very different definitions of B prospect.

Reactions: Groo

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
He won't. Just like every year people think UFA rentals will fetch this top tier prospect and a 1st and multiple other assets.
Great and what’s the point of moving him for a 1st and someone like Nick Meloche who was once considered a B prospect? We will keep him then. The sort of deal I’m looking at is Marat+O’Rourke from MIN.

Deadly Dogma

All I have is substantially vapid opinions
Sponsor
May 3, 2016
as a Leafs fan, Hertl would be a killer addition. Run him with Matthews and Marner

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

If Dallas is out of it why keep Pavelski?

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
I think the cost of Hertl depends on how likely the trading team is to re-sign. if conversations have already taken place and it's basically a done deal (or, a sign-and-trade) 1st + B prospect is too low. In contrast, if Hertl hasn't talked extension, 1st + B sounds reasonable.

If sharks management is smart, they will already be talking to Hertl about this trying to maximize value (but I wouldn't hold my breath).

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
If Dallas is out of it why keep Pavelski?

I dont think they'll be out of it. Hence my "unless they lose 10 games in a row" comment. They're in a dog fight for the last playoff spot essentially, with a few teams.

But they're playing good hockey and winning games right now so most likely they'll still be in the thick of things come the deadline.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Hertls ask is a top prospect and a first. Obviously this could change if he refuses to accept trades to a number of places, but assuming he will take any playoff team thats the ask.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I think the cost of Hertl depends on how likely the trading team is to re-sign. if conversations have already taken place and it's basically a done deal (or, a sign-and-trade) 1st + B prospect is too low. In contrast, if Hertl hasn't talked extension, 1st + B sounds reasonable.

If sharks management is smart, they will already be talking to Hertl about this trying to maximize value (but I wouldn't hold my breath).

Even still. Mark Stone was traded with an extension in place a couple years ago and his return was pretty similar.

I would say Brannstrom at the time was an A-tier prospect rather than a B tier. But they also didn't get a 1st rounder, they got a 2nd instead.

Ultimately I think the Taylor Hall trade is a good example here. Not the Buffalo/Boston deal but the New Jersey/Anaheim trade.

That deal was essentially a 1st + B prospect(Bahl) + Conditional pick(3rd that could have ended up as high as another 1st IIRC) for Hall. With a couple throw in pieces from each side that carried pretty little value.

So IMO you're looking at deals like:

1st + Robertson from Toronto. 1st + Barron from Colorado. 1st + O'Rourke from Minnesota. 1st + Drury from Carolina

Those sort of packages. Perhaps with later picks or lesser prospects on either side to balance things out.

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
Even still. Mark Stone was traded with an extension in place a couple years ago and his return was pretty similar.

I would say Brannstrom at the time was an A-tier prospect rather than a B tier. But they also didn't get a 1st rounder, they got a 2nd instead.

Ultimately I think the Taylor Hall trade is a good example here. Not the Buffalo/Boston deal but the New Jersey/Anaheim trade.

That deal was essentially a 1st + B prospect(Bahl) + Conditional pick(3rd that could have ended up as high as another 1st IIRC) for Hall. With a couple throw in pieces from each side that carried pretty little value.

So IMO you're looking at deals like:

1st + Robertson from Toronto. 1st + Barron from Colorado. 1st + O'Rourke from Minnesota. 1st + Drury from Carolina

Those sort of packages. Perhaps with later picks or lesser prospects on either side to balance things out.
Wouldn't have much interest in a late 23 pick + Barron for Hertl.
Replace it with Olausson and we can talk

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Wouldn't have much interest in a late 23 pick + Barron for Hertl.
Replace it with Olausson and we can talk

I'm assuming you just need a forward prospect more then a Dman?

Personally I think Barron is the much better prospect then OO so I wouldn't have any issues with this.

But I'd also rather trade for Giroux over Hertl personally at this point. Giroux will be a little cheaper IMO and I think his desire to win a cup is more prominent then making money at this point in his career which I think could lend itself to re-signing him for cheap.

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
I'm assuming you just need a forward prospect more then a Dman?

Personally I think Barron is the much better prospect then OO so I wouldn't have any issues with this.

But I'd also rather trade for Giroux over Hertl personally at this point.
Yeah a forward is needed after losing Kane. Need one back if we lose Hertl as well
It be Barron + OO. You can keep your 23 1st

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad