Player Discussion Jiri "Cakes" Sekac

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fightman

Mar 4, 2014
Quebec City
I hope for your team that someone learn to CAKES how to shot on goal...... Yesterday, he had no finish at all and got 3 or 4 scoring chances easy....

ducks4grt

Oct 27, 2009
He has great stick handling skills that's for sure, but he needs to shoot. 2 games in a row he did not shoot while being in great position, I hope he learns and he can be a great goalscorer with his skills.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
He has great stick handling skills that's for sure, but he needs to shoot. 2 games in a row he did not shoot while being in great position, I hope he learns and he can be a great goalscorer with his skills.

On one of those plays he couldn't shoot cause Crawford kicked out his pad and knocked the puck off his stick while Jiri was trying to deke him out.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
He is starting to get on my nerves. He has no sense on when to shoot the puck and when to hold onto it. This kid needs to be chewed out by the coaching staff in this area. He's wasting almost every scoring chance he generates by holding onto the puck too long

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
He is starting to get on my nerves. He has no sense on when to shoot the puck and when to hold onto it. This kid needs to be chewed out by the coaching staff in this area. He's wasting almost every scoring chance he generates by holding onto the puck too long

I agree. The issue is none of our scratched guys would be any better unless we pull a bold move and dress Wiz as a forward.

Fleischmann is limited to one or two good plays with the puck per game then he disappears. Jackman would add some hitting but he's even weaker on the puck than the other two. Wagner I guess if you want to move him to wing could be okay but I don't see a big improvement there.

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013

Yes I notice that too starting to get irritating...but when I think about it atleast himself into scoring chances which is much more than most of the team right now. :cry:

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I agree. The issue is none of our scratched guys would be any better unless we pull a bold move and dress Wiz as a forward.

Fleischmann is limited to one or two good plays with the puck per game then he disappears. Jackman would add some hitting but he's even weaker on the puck than the other two. Wagner I guess if you want to move him to wing could be okay but I don't see a big improvement there.

Oh I totally agree there's no one better than him. He just has serious work to do this offseason in this area. He's had chances to get a damn good shot on Crawford but elects to try and dangle in only to get it poke checked by Keith and Hjalmarsson.

He needs a change in mentality basically

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Oh I totally agree there's no one better than him. He just has serious work to do this offseason in this area. He's had chances to get a damn good shot on Crawford but elects to try and dangle in only to get it poke checked by Keith and Hjalmarsson.

He needs a change in mentality basically

Agreed. The potential is there.

While we're on the subject of guys who have to work on their shot. Silfverberg. The benefit of having a fast shot with a quick release is lost if those shots are predictable 95% of the time. His shot selection is poor. He waits too long to find a hole and most of the time by the time he's shot it a defender has a stick blade in front of his or a leg in front. And if it does get through, a lot of them end up right in the goalie's logo.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
I made this analogy before. Sekac is a little like the Tasmanian Devil of Loony Toons. A lot of movement that looks fierce, but in the end he's spinning in circles.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
It's amusing how things have gone from complete rage that Sekac and Rakell weren't being given significantly more ice time than Thompson to wanting them benched. It's amazing what sheltering vs non-sheltering can do to a young player.

DaDucks*

Sekac finally shot the puck.. Baby steps.

Rakell only has 1 more goal than Koivu this year compared to last... Not good. (Playoffs)

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
It's amusing how things have gone from complete rage that Sekac and Rakell weren't being given significantly more ice time than Thompson to wanting them benched. It's amazing what sheltering vs non-sheltering can do to a young player.

no ****. All the Thompson haters have shown themselves out. Amazing that so many people were that blind about how affective Rakell was.

Jul 22, 2012
He never shoots, but at least he gets himself in positions to score.. Which you can't say for anybody else on his line.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Was unable to get any production out of him in his 7 playoffs games all against Chicago. Hopefully he learns from this playoffs and is better next time.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
We have great mentor for defensemen in Scotty. Shouldn`t we get similar one for forwards? How about Teemu? I feel that Sekac would be a great learner with his good IQ and willpower. Teemu could teach some fantstic things to the young guys about the play in offensive zone

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
We have great mentor for defensemen in Scotty. Shouldn`t we get similar one for forwards? How about Teemu? I feel that Sekac would be a great learner with his good IQ and willpower. Teemu could teach some fantstic things to the young guys about the play in offensive zone

"Ok guys, I'm gonna teach you how to play offense. Everyone line up. Now, I want each of you to ignore the defensive nonsense and hang around the blueline until somebody passes you the puck. Next, and here's the key, be an elite skater and take off like you were fired out of a cannon. See the defenders three strides behind you now? Great. Now just find a tiny impossible bit of daylight around the goalie and put the puck through there. Good. Done. Now who wants to go eat steak?"

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
"Ok guys, I'm gonna teach you how to play offense. Everyone line up. Now, I want each of you to ignore the defensive nonsense and hang around the blueline until somebody passes you the puck. Next, and here's the key, be an elite skater and take off like you were fired out of a cannon. See the defenders three strides behind you now? Great. Now just find a tiny impossible bit of daylight around the goalie and put the puck through there. Good. Done. Now who wants to go eat steak?"
I imagine something similar going on with Scotty`s mentoring too (except he adresses defense) ;)

Something like Marchant can adress play in our own zone but i`m sure Teemu has a thing or two to tell to not even young guys but anyone in the lineup about offensive zone. Hope it doesn`t get to coach bashing though :sarcasm:

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
I imagine something similar going on with Scotty`s mentoring too (except he adresses defense) ;)

Something like Marchant can adress play in our own zone but i`m sure Teemu has a thing or two to tell to not even young guys but anyone in the lineup about offensive zone. Hope it doesn`t get to coach bashing though :sarcasm:

With our kids being so close to home next season, I think it opens up all sorts of possibilities for the former greats to be involved with our up-and-comers. I think it's just a matter of time before Teemu finds a niche with the team, mentoring the young offensive players would be golden. Lol, and I forgot about his Boudreau beef. Maybe steering him towards prospect camp and SD would help avoid any Teemu-Bruce awkwardness. Then again, he might need content to write a sequel.

Lord Flashheart

Squadron Commander
Jul 21, 2011
Leipzig/Zg
Re-reading this thread gave me massive chuckles... There is even a Kopitar reference. You could not make this **** up.

And boy, did Thompson spank some people.

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014

:biglaugh:

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Cakes needs to make an appointment with Beleskey's shooting coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad