Confirmed with Link: Jimmy Vesey Signs with Rangers - MOD WARNING # 318

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
So Vesey's final decision is that he is going back to Harvard for his doctorate, and quitting hockey all together?

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I think the longer this goes on, the better if favors Boston.

I'm speculating here, but if Boston is still in it thanks in part to a good, nearly 3 long hour meeting with the brass and the players, the pull of staying home is what's swaying his hand from signing with the Blackhawks, Rangers, or the Devils and that's what's taking so long.

Perhaps the Blackhawks offer more in the way of an instant cash lotto ticket in terms of a 2nd contract down the road thanks to padding his stats playing with Kane.

Perhaps the Rangers offer more in the way of the glitz and glamour of playing in front of New York and with other team USA members.

Perhaps the Devils offer more in the way of being a low key, underrated team on the upswing and won't have to be the main guy in a lesser media spotlight.

But none of them are home. None of them are the teams he dreamed about being on while playing stick hockey in the streets of Charlestown. None of them offer fulfilling the starry eyed dreams of a child.

To me, this is the song of the moment that's in Jimmy's head.

But the longer this goes on, the louder the beat of this song starts to eclipse everything else.

Stay home and listen to your heart Jimmy. Being a Bruin is what you always wanted.

Chevalier du Clavier

Écrivain de ferrage
Jul 20, 2005
Paul Hamilton, who covers the Sabres for WGR sports radio tweeted this:

in response to this:

Which is what many here have been saying all along.

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
I can see the points of BruinDust in the previous thread, that the longer it takes, the worse it is for Boston...

But I remain positive. Or at least try to. Believing that Vesey is just putting on a show, but knew he was going home all along.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
If I were him, the way Id look at it is this;

All teams are going to present very similar opportunities to earn points, you have your whole career ahead of you and the odds of winning the cup with even the best teams on his list are slim, so contender status shouldn't matter much. But only one of the teams is the one you always grew up rooting for and dreaming about playing for - so I would sign with Boston, play my heart out for contract two and the fans, and if you don't like Boston or just want to change it up, you can always inform the brass you want to try different things for awhile and then the Bruins know ahead of time so hes a great asset in a trade. Everyone wins. Or maybe you end up loving it here and want to stay your whole career. Maybe he comes back. But if he signs somewhere else, he may end up never knowing what it was like to play for the black and gold. It's worth any potential risks.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
No interest in vesey coming to Boston. dont think he's that good and it sends a bad message to a player like frank vatrano if we have to guarantee top 6 minutes to an unproven kid instead of letting an actual battle happen with a guy who showed nhl promise and ahl dominance. Also worries me that he didn't do damage in college until he was an upperclassmen (most great college players don't make it past their sophomore year see: Heinen, danton). Also makes me worried that the sudden influx of LW he would provide would force the Bruins to move a frank vatrano or Jake Debrusk for d help when I honestly would rather have those guys over vesey. If I were Boston and he signed here I'd immediately move him to another team for d help. Kid wants to soak up his 15 minutes of fame expoiting a loophole in the cba, thinks he has the ability to pick where he goes. Then boom. Sign and trade to Calgary. That would set a precedent so college kids don't snub the team that drafted them.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Dude, there is literally nothing wrong with signing Vesey. None.

If he doesn't work out, he's tradeable. Nothing but Jacobs money is being spent on this and that shouldn't concern you one bit.

I also don't think he's being guaranteed anything other than the rope and chance to earn a spot next to Krejci or Bergy.

I highly doubt Vesey is going to teams and asking them to guarantee him a top 6 spot, im sure he just wants his development handled properly. Unless I missed something, im certain that is stuff created by these boards because Nashville offered him top 6 because they wanted him desperately.

And for good reason, he's very good. He may not blow anyone away immediately but I don't see bust in his game either

Brewin8

Jul 17, 2008
British Columbia
Please just announce...the Bruins, of course.. I've only got time for a few more hits of the refresh key and I'm done..The weekend is starting, my wife is in the background making sure I've packed the boat and gear, headed to the cottage until Sunday night..And there's no cell coverage there...I just want to know before I head to the lake...I won't enjoy the weekend if I don't know, mind you I won't be happy if it's not the Bruins..All this stress for a 23 year old to play for my favorite team...kinda sad eh?
Have a great weekend everyone!

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
No interest in vesey coming to Boston. dont think he's that good and it sends a bad message to a player like frank vatrano if we have to guarantee top 6 minutes to an unproven kid instead of letting an actual battle happen with a guy who showed nhl promise and ahl dominance. Also worries me that he didn't do damage in college until he was an upperclassmen (most great college players don't make it past their sophomore year see: Heinen, danton). Also makes me worried that the sudden influx of LW he would provide would force the Bruins to move a frank vatrano or Jake Debrusk for d help when I honestly would rather have those guys over vesey. If I were Boston and he signed here I'd immediately move him to another team for d help. Kid wants to soak up his 15 minutes of fame expoiting a loophole in the cba, thinks he has the ability to pick where he goes. Then boom. Sign and trade to Calgary. That would set a precedent so college kids don't snub the team that drafted them.

Would you rather them move Jake DeBrusk or Vatrano for D help and not have Jimmy Vesey?

Not saying he's going to pan out; but the more assets we have, the better our options are to improve the D and have valuable players.

The thing that stays the same whether or not we have Jimmy Vesey is that we need to improve the defense. Jimmy Vesey gives us more options, for free. And that's not a bad thing to have.

Jimmy Vesey can promised the world, but he knows if he doesn't pan out, he'll be riding any AHL teams bus sooner than later.

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
Tor- I truly believe is the dark horse here, they have a bright future, only thing is Matthews is still unknown as to high his ceiling is

Det- supposedly too far away, not showing signs of contending anytime soon

Chi- far as Detroit, so that should eliminate them, otherwise, pretty sexy to be playing with Kane.

NYI- Up and coming team, new building, JT to play with, close to home

NYR- I feel they are on the decline, but he has his Hayes connection, plus a sweet place to live for a young man

Buf- team looks like it will be good in the next 3-5 years, only problem is the city itself.

NJD- I compare these guys to 7Up.......not awesome, not terrible, they're just kind of there. Like 7Up.

Bos- hometown, childhood team and dream to play for the Bs, great forward crop and prospects coming up, D absolutely sucks and the management are known to be trigger happy for less than intelligent reasons.

My pick: NYI

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Dude, there is literally nothing wrong with signing Vesey. None.

If he doesn't work out, he's tradeable. Nothing but Jacobs money is being spent on this and that shouldn't concern you one bit.

I also don't think he's being guaranteed anything other than the rope and chance to earn a spot next to Krejci or Bergy.

I highly doubt Vesey is going to teams and asking them to guarantee him a top 6 spot, im sure he just wants his development handled properly. Unless I missed something, im certain that is stuff created by these boards because Nashville offered him top 6 because they wanted him desperately.

And for good reason, he's very good. He may not blow anyone away immediately but I don't see bust in his game either

I heard their pitch was the ability to play with krejci and pp time. Don't think they should do that. Nothing about his game seems all that impressive. Plenty of kids dominate as juniors and seniors. Special talents do it as freshman. Outside of Blake wheeler all of these kids who have strung out their eligibility and signed elsewhere have been underwhelming. Kevin Hayes shows flashes but wasn't nearly as nhl ready as it was thought, Justin Schultz stinks, And mike Reilly couldn't crack the wilds roster. I understand it's low risk due to the cap I'm more worried about the domino effect of overloading the left side leading to a bad decision.plus I don't like how long he's taking on this decision. I don't think Hayes or Schultz or Reilly took more than 2 days

chrisab123

Feb 9, 2013

So you have no interest in a potential top 6 player who would cost almost nothing in the grand scheme of things? :popcorn:

Harambe would not like this move. Harambe is love. Harambe loves Vesey in a Bruins uniform.

nfld77

Aug 13, 2007
Newfoundland
Since Vesey told Nashville he wasn't gonna sign with them, everything I heard Vesey say since then was how he grew up a Bruin fan, also calling Boston home. Until I hear he signed elsewhere, I'll say what I've said all along, I'll be shocked if he don't choose Bruins.

If my agent was trying to change my mind as to where I want to play, he wouldn't be my agent for very long.

Once a Bruin fan, always a Bruin fan. Stay home Jimmy, listen to your heart, nothing else. Don't sign elsewhere because that's what your agents want, it's your life, live it the way you want..

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Would you rather them move Jake DeBrusk or Vatrano for D help and not have Jimmy Vesey?

Not saying he's going to pan out; but the more assets we have, the better our options are to improve the D and have valuable players.

The thing that stays the same whether or not we have Jimmy Vesey is that we need to improve the defense. Jimmy Vesey gives us more options, for free. And that's not a bad thing to have.

Jimmy Vesey can promised the world, but he knows if he doesn't pan out, he'll be riding any AHL teams bus sooner than later.

I don't think they'd move vatrano or Debrusk if they didn't have vesey. I'd move vesey for d help in a heartbeat though. They need d help, but I'd move vesey before those 2. If they don't have vesey then I'd wait for d help to come through the system and make minor vet upgrades until then. Acquiring vesey would lead to a big splash dman coming

Fonzerelli

Jul 15, 2015
I'll come to you

Uh oh ... :scared::scared:

AngryLynchMob.jpg

That'd be Dan leading the charge ...

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
If it were my son I'd now ask the agents to leave the room for a few minutes.
I'd sit my son down. Remind him that they work for us. Not the other way around.

Thats this is now up to him.

He's heard all the pitches. He's met face to face. His gut should be telling him something.

I'd tell him no matter what he decides me and mom know he'll be succesful and we will always support him.

Now envision yourself in each jersey. Envision the city and area you will call home for the next two years.

Then follow your heart. What does that tell you? What is your heart's desire?

Then walk out there and tell the two Peters to simply make it so. Wherever it is.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Then walk out there and tell the two Peters to simply make it so. Wherever it is.

:laugh::laugh:

but really, your message is bang on. don't let anyone who works for you force you into making a decision. happens in real estate every day.

mikeq672

Jun 26, 2015

I was ok until that. What is that you people do not understand? Why is he not allowed to think through a decision? Why does he have to rush to decide for your own sake? How is he getting 15 minutes of fame when he hasnt even spoken on the subject except for a few minutes interview with haggs where he was very soft spoken and humble. The media made it a circus because there is nothing better to talk about, that is their and the NHL fault, dont put it on the kid. Its also not a loophole, its someone that was specifically negotiated and agreed upon by owners and the NHLPA. This happens to every year with a bunch of kids. I dont see any of you crying about and of the other guys or the player that just signed with the Rangers yesterday. To me that clearly points out that your issue isnt in fact with the player, its with the process and what the media has made it out to be.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

It's not a loophole. It's not exploitation that goes against the spirit of law. It's a very clearly written rule in the CBA and he's using it which is his right. Nashville excised their rights by trading his. So what's the problem?

Fonzerelli

Jul 15, 2015
I'll come to you
Process only 4 hours old ... chilax

"What's really important is to people in the Twitter world, it's been four days, but in our world, it's been four hours [of discussing the options]," Donatelli said. "There is an urgency to get it done, out of respect for the teams and the process. That certainly weighs on everyone's minds, but I'd just like to remind people that the process is not taking long. That's subjective."

https://www.nhl.com/news/jimmy-vesey-wont-rush-decision-agent-says/c-281374644

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
If I were him, the way Id look at it is this;

All teams are going to present very similar opportunities to earn points, you have your whole career ahead of you and the odds of winning the cup with even the best teams on his list are slim, so contender status shouldn't matter much. But only one of the teams is the one you always grew up rooting for and dreaming about playing for - so I would sign with Boston, play my heart out for contract two and the fans, and if you don't like Boston or just want to change it up, you can always inform the brass you want to try different things for awhile and then the Bruins know ahead of time so hes a great asset in a trade. Everyone wins. Or maybe you end up loving it here and want to stay your whole career. Maybe he comes back. But if he signs somewhere else, he may end up never knowing what it was like to play for the black and gold. It's worth any potential risks.

Absolutely 100%.... disagree.

There are reasons to pick Boston. Professional reasons, and that is what you base your decision on. You don't make an adult decision based on what you liked when you were 10. If I did that I'd be eating pop rocks for breakfast and working as a cowboy or astronaut while reading nothing but Daredevil comic books.

Carl Soderberg got crushed here for years for wanting to play for his hometown team and not being a professional athlete moving his career forward.

You make this decision based on the people running the organization and the comfort level and trust you have with them being professionally competent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad