Jimmy Howard

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
Why do you hold Mrazek to a higher standard than Howard? When was Howard EVER a top 5 goalie? Mrazek was a top 11 goalie this past year. In his FIRST full year.

So Howie loses his job when Mrazek is a top 5 goalie?

This is what irritates me. This is the same sentiment you see elsewhere. That somehow Howard is the default goalie and Mrazek is only allowed to start if he's standing on his head. He's had his chance. Now it's time to move on. It's basically that simple. Not personal.

Who did Howard have to beat out for three years to win the job?

What has Howard done for the team in the six years he's been the starter?

Name one other team that gives a goalie like Howard chance after chance like this. I think maybe Carolina and Arizona come to mind. This is the kind of team Detroit is becoming.

People who continuously support Howard think people don't want him for personal reasons. No. They don't want him because he's been .910 .910 and .906 in the past three years. I think people only support him for personal reasons.

mrazek has had a chance to outright steal and hold the number 1 job for 2 seasons now and has yet to do it

People have right to question if he will turn out to be an elite goalie at this point in time. Doesn't mean that they don't think he will be an elite goalie, just that he hasn't shown it yet consistently at the NHL level.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Why do you hold Mrazek to a higher standard than Howard? When was Howard EVER a top 5 goalie? Mrazek was a top 11 goalie this past year. In his FIRST full year.

Uhhh, have we met?

I don't hold anybody to a higher standard. A few years ago I was fine letting Howard walk and signing Ryan Miller instead. So yeah, maybe you have me confused with someone else.

PetrPumpknEatr

Mar 8, 2015
mrazek has had a chance to outright steal and hold the number 1 job for 2 seasons now and has yet to do it

People have right to question if he will turn out to be an elite goalie at this point in time. Doesn't mean that they don't think he will be an elite goalie, just that he hasn't shown it yet consistently at the NHL level.

Stop making up lies to justify your position.

1) Mrazek didn't even make the team full time until March of 2015. He became "starter" for the playoffs. He never "lost" the job, it was decided he and Howard would share it for the first half of the season. Where a) Mrazek still played more games; b) Mrazek still had better numbers.

2) As for "losing" the starting job this past season. Howard's numbers were ALWAYS worse. Mrazek was the best goalie in the NHL between mid December and mid February. When Howard didn't win a SINGLE GAME. Even during the rough patch for Mrazek, which came due to a minor groin injury and illness and was still being thrown in game after game, Howard didn't even play any better.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I'm not convinced Mrazek is that great. I'm still waiting for my honeymoon phase. Guy is an NHL starter, but he hasn't played consistently good enough to inspire me to call him the franchise goalie.

I just want 1 full year where he looks like a top 5 goalie.

Those are steep expectations. To want a goalie to show he is a top 5 goalie for a full season? Woah mama.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Those are steep expectations. To want a goalie to show he is a top 5 goalie for a full season? Woah mama.

Can't tell if sarcastic.

Is it that steep if we're anointing Mrazek the goalie of the future? I mean, if he's just the next Jimmy Howard... he can show he's a top 10 goalie for a season. Jimmy did that a few times!

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009

Eh?

He stole the playoff starter position from him. And before he got sick and rushed himself back before full recovery he was the only reason we were even in playoff contention.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
If Holland is not looking to improve the team then keeping an expensive mediocre player is not a big deal rrally. What do you need him gone for so Holland can sign more impact players like Steve Ott?

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Don't get me wrong. I hope Petr turns into the spectacular goalie he's destined to be.

But Howie gets waaayyyy too much hate.

For a guy who barely had a better year then smith 2 years ago on a better team he deserved all the hate he get. What he doesn't deserve are games played. Stats don't lie

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
Stop making up lies to justify your position.

1) Mrazek didn't even make the team full time until March of 2015. He became "starter" for the playoffs. He never "lost" the job, it was decided he and Howard would share it for the first half of the season. Where a) Mrazek still played more games; b) Mrazek still had better numbers.

Mrazek was the starter by default in 2015 playoffs. Both Howard and mrazek were rotating between crap and good games down the stretch that year.

2) As for "losing" the starting job this past season. Howard's numbers were ALWAYS worse. Mrazek was the best goalie in the NHL between mid December and mid February. When Howard didn't win a SINGLE GAME. Even during the rough patch for Mrazek, which came due to a minor groin injury and illness and was still being thrown in game after game, Howard didn't even play any better.

Mrazek played himself into the number one job the first half of the season and then crapped the bed in the second half. So blashill got scared and fell back on the veteran.

Eh?

He stole the playoff starter position from him. And before he got sick and rushed himself back before full recovery he was the only reason we were even in playoff contention.

Correct. He has taken the number 1 spot a couple times but has been unable to hold it.

He's being given the number 1 spot right out of the gate this season. Let's see if he can keep it throughout and avoid the end of season slump like has the last couple years

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
For a guy who barely had a better year then smith 2 years ago on a better team he deserved all the hate he get. What he doesn't deserve are games played. Stats don't lie

Your hatred is oozing in such a ridiculous way.

Smith is an awful goalie on a worse team. Give me a break with the stats don't lie. I could say Mrazek doesn't deserve any more considering he blew his chance the second half of last season. Why the double standard?

Oh because it's Petr the Gr8. He's immortal! It's ridiculous that people don't criticise him for his negative play. Just because he played well in the first half doesn't excuse him. Howard has had solid runs and decent playoff showings as well, but nobody ever gave him credit. His play against Anaheim, Chicago, and Nashville were good.

I'm starting to think people who hate on Howard just do it as a trend it seems. Ugh this subject really riles me up in such a bad way. It's like some just don't even watch him. :shakehead

He's not amazing, but it's sad goalies always get bashed the hardest.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Your hatred is oozing in such a ridiculous way.

Smith is an awful goalie on a worse team. Give me a break with the stats don't lie. I could say Mrazek doesn't deserve any more considering he blew his chance the second half of last season. Why the double standard?

Oh because it's Petr the Gr8. He's immortal! It's ridiculous that people don't criticise him for his negative play. Just because he played well in the first half doesn't excuse him. Howard has had solid runs and decent playoff showings as well, but nobody ever gave him credit. His play against Anaheim, Chicago, and Nashville were good.

I'm starting to think people who hate on Howard just do it as a trend it seems. Ugh this subject really riles me up in such a bad way. It's like some just don't even watch him. :shakehead

He's not amazing, but it's sad goalies always get bashed the hardest.

I bashed petr when he actually played bad when he wasn't playing injured. But you can keep thinking all I'll do is defend mrazek and bash Howard.

Howard is a bad goalie. There's a reason he wasn't traded. He was good once. Now he isn't. He's never even earned to never be hated like lidstrom/datsyuk

PetrPumpknEatr

Mar 8, 2015
Mrazek was the starter by default in 2015 playoffs. Both Howard and mrazek were rotating between crap and good games down the stretch that year.

Mrazek played himself into the number one job the first half of the season and then crapped the bed in the second half. So blashill got scared and fell back on the veteran.

Correct. He has taken the number 1 spot a couple times but has been unable to hold it.

He's being given the number 1 spot right out of the gate this season. Let's see if he can keep it throughout and avoid the end of season slump like has the last couple years

You simply have a problem with what really happened. I'm sorry about that.

1. Mrazek only took over the starting position for the playoffs. He never held the starting position before that. He wasn't even a full fledged member of the team until MARCH of 2015. He never lost the starting job in the playoffs, he played well. We just started with them platooning. Where Mrazek did better than Howard as well. Your "facts" are wrong. Admit it and move on. Sticking to your guns doesn't make your argument anymore correct.

2. Mrazek and Howard platooned for the first half of the season. Then for two months Mrazek was the best goalie in the NHL and Howard failed to win a single game. Mrazek then played badly over a 10 game period in March, when he was finally shut down. Howard took over the rest of the season and did no better. Another lie, so strike two against you.

Mrazek finished the season with 27-16 and .921; Jimmy finished the season 13-13 and .906. Not even close.

3. He WAS NOT given the number one spot out of the gate this season. Another lie. Jimmy started the first game, because he had more seniority and it was always a platoon situation right out of the gate. Strike three.

Last edited by a moderator:

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
1. Mrazek only took over the starting position for the playoffs. He never held the starting position before that. He wasn't even a full fledged member of the team until MARCH of 2015. He never lost the starting job in the playoffs, he played well. We just started with them platooning. Where Mrazek did better than Howard as well. Your "facts" are wrong. Admit it and move on. Sticking to your guns doesn't make your argument anymore correct.

the job was there for the taking near the end of the season and neither of them really took it. it was a platoon because both of them were sucking. babcock decided to go with mrazek and played well in the playoffs. But again he had not shown the consistency yet to be a number 1 goalie for an entire season.

2. Mrazek and Howard platooned for the first half of the season. Then for two months Mrazek was the best goalie in the NHL and Howard failed to win a single game. Mrazek then played badly over a 10 game period in March, when he was finally shut down. Howard took over the rest of the season and did no better. Another lie, so strike two against you.

correct. they platooned until mrazek took the number 1 job. then he crapped the bed at a time when every point was crucial to get into the playoffs. Blashill then fell back on the veteran howard whom played marginally better in a couple key games

3. He WAS NOT given the number one spot out of the gate this season. Another lie. Jimmy started the first game, because he had more seniority and it was always a platoon situation right out of the gate. Strike three.

correct. but he gained the number 1 job during the season and then lost it with his inconsistent play.

I think you are getting hung up on the fact I think howard is a better goalie. I do not but I am still concerned with mrazek's inconsistency. Hopefully with a full season under his belt, this won't be an issue

PetrPumpknEatr

Mar 8, 2015
the job was there for the taking near the end of the season and neither of them really took it. it was a platoon because both of them were sucking. babcock decided to go with mrazek and played well in the playoffs. But again he had not shown the consistency yet to be a number 1 goalie for an entire season.

correct. they platooned until mrazek took the number 1 job. then he crapped the bed at a time when every point was crucial to get into the playoffs. Blashill then fell back on the veteran howard whom played marginally better in a couple key games

correct. but he gained the number 1 job during the season and then lost it with his inconsistent play.

I think you are getting hung up on the fact I think howard is a better goalie. I do not but I am still concerned with mrazek's inconsistency. Hopefully with a full season under his belt, this won't be an issue

1. It was a platoon because it was always going to be a platoon. Howard was given the opportunity to grab the job, Mrazek was going to be given the opportunity to grab the job. Mrazek was the starter for the playoffs. It was a new season. Both were starting fresh with a new coach. You were wrong. Just admit it. Stop dancing.

2. The whole first half was a platoon by design. Mrazek took the job in December and didn't give it up until March when he got sick. Howard's play at the end was no better statistically and his record was identical 3-7 during the same stretch.

3. If you don't think Howard is better then stop making up lies about it. You're being argumentative about nothing then. Go take a shower. Your arguments are nonsensical and are not supported by basic facts. You're repeatedly wrong about everything.

You don't have to make up a bunch of lies to say you don't think Mrazek will be an elite goalie. That's your opinion. Some will agree, others won't. At this point it's conjecture. There's no right or wrong answer. The point I WAS MAKING originally was that Mrazek is ALREADY a better goalie than Howard right now. He doesn't have to be an elite goalie to be the starter here. He just has to be the best goalie in our system. Which he already is.

Last edited by a moderator:

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
The " new goalie coach" is simply the old goalie coach at GR . He's not going to change either of these guys.

Mrazek ( and Coreau) was great with this coach and maybe he can improve Jimmy, That's why the coach is up with the wings

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Wait, so it is wrong to hold Mrazek to a high standard now? I don't understand why people are surprised since he has been considered by some to be a franchise goaltender.

Mrazek has shown some faults in his game. He can either improve on those faults or they can expose him more and more during his career. I don't see what is awful about acknowledging that as a real possibility and not just sitting back and saying "yup Mrazek is the future 100%."

PetrPumpknEatr

Mar 8, 2015
Wait, so it is wrong to hold Mrazek to a high standard now? I don't understand why people are surprised since he has been considered by some to be a franchise goaltender.

Mrazek has shown some faults in his game. He can either improve on those faults or they can expose him more and more during his career. I don't see what is awful about acknowledging that as a real possibility and not just sitting back and saying "yup Mrazek is the future 100%."

It seems people are having several different conversations here. The original argument I made was that Mrazek shouldn't be held to a higher standard than Howard is. That Howard shouldn't be the automatic goaltender if Mrazek isn't a top five goaltender in the league.

The question of whether Mrazek is an elite goaltender is still very much in doubt given that he has played only a single full season at all.

What i'm saying, and a couple of others here are saying, is that Mrazek is already better than Howard now. This makes him the best goalie on the Detroit Red Wings right now. If Mrazek continues to play erratically and/or begins to decline and we find another goalie who is better. We should play the better goalie. The real issue here, given the thread title, is that Jimmy Howard isn't that future either. He's 32 and on the decline.

But right now Petr Mrazek is the best goalie the Detroit Red Wings have. That's who we should play. That's who our starter should be. That's who our default starter should be. That's who we should roll with. It makes no sense to play the goalie everyone thinks is worse because our 24 year old goalie (who was a 23 year old rookie last year) isn't a top five goalie. He only has to be the better goalie.

Last edited:

sean3250

Feb 7, 2015
Mrazek:

Regular Season:
94GP- .920SV%, 2.29GAA, 9SO (AKA he averages a SO every 10 games)

Playoffs:
10GP- .931SV%, 1.88GAA, 3 SO

"Mrazek isn't that great or consistent"- **** off FFS!

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
It seems people are having several different conversations here. The original argument I made was that Mrazek shouldn't be held to a higher standard than Howard is. That Howard shouldn't be the automatic goaltender if Mrazek isn't a top five goaltender in the league.

The question of whether Mrazek is an elite goaltender is still very much in doubt given that he has played only a single full season at all.

What i'm saying, and a couple of others here are saying, is that Mrazek is already better than Howard now. This makes him the best goalie on the Detroit Red Wings right now. If Mrazek continues to play erratically and/or begins to decline and we find another goalie who is better. We should play the better goalie. The real issue here, given the thread title, is that Jimmy Howard isn't that future either. He's 32 and on the decline.

But right now Petr Mrazek is the best goalie the Detroit Red Wings have. That's who we should play. That's who our starter should be. That's who our default starter should be. That's who we should roll with. It makes no sense to play the goalie everyone thinks is worse because our 24 year old goalie (who was a 23 year old rookie last year) isn't a top five goalie. He only has to be the better goalie.

Read the post you originally quoted. He is talking about anointing him a franchise goalie, not talking about who starts next season. The fans in Detroit almost always turn on their goaltender, at some point in their career. If/when it happens to Mrazek is absolutely up for discussion.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Ironically:

IF you hate Howard and want him traded because he sucks... realize that everyone else will know that and thus he CANT be traded.

IF you think having 2 good goalies while we wait for Mrazek to MAYBE become elite. Than you realize that trading Howard now would be risky. Also if no one wants him, and you have to give him away for free or worse pay to remove him, also very not worth it.

Hes on this team for at LEAST 1 more year. At minimum!

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
Mrazek:

Regular Season:
94GP- .920SV%, 2.29GAA, 9SO (AKA he averages a SO every 10 games)

Playoffs:
10GP- .931SV%, 1.88GAA, 3 SO

"Mrazek isn't that great or consistent"- **** off FFS!

Yet he got pulled like six times in a stretch of a dozen games. At least it felt like that.

His stats are deceiving.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad