In Memoriam Jimmy Hayes (1989-2021) - Updated 17 October

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa
The addiction talk that came from this is great and all but I really don’t see the correlation between pain pills and cocaine.

learning that scumbag drug dealers lace coke with fentanyl however is news to me. I’d imagine it’s coming from the source rather than Hayes local “guy”.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I once had an urgent care doc write me Percocet WITH A REFILL for strep. I challenged him on it and he said it was already sent to cvs and my strep was as bad as he's ever seen.

I asked him to cancel it and I'll stick with the Penicillin and otc lozenges

Nobody should have to be in pain, so I'm all for necessary medications. Keyword being necessary.
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
YIKES............

Although I gotta say -- when @TD Charlie gets strep throat he goes big!!!!!! How did it get so bad Mr. TD Charlie? "Well I had a sore throat so I gargled with lye and glass shards. Seemed like the way to go!" :laugh:

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
I'm not there anymore,lived across the tracks,but Friday nights in the 70s over there was hell. We could hear the gunfire from there and the screeching of tires up the American Legion Highway from the 1/4 mile races. I'm told that Hayes still frequents the area.

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World
They gave it to my kid when she broke her arm.
Of course they did. Can't get those kick backs without the right percentage of scripts given out. They gave it to me after my shoulder surgery. 14 days worth. I took it for three and switched to the 800 mg ibuprofen I asked for. To this day I don't remember those 3 days. Never again.

HockeyMomx2

Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
I once had an urgent care doc write me Percocet WITH A REFILL for strep. I challenged him on it and he said it was already sent to cvs and my strep was as bad as he's ever seen.

Nobody should have to be in pain, so I'm all for necessary medications. Keyword being necessary.
Wow. I always had to drop paper script for any narcotic medication. Thought it was illegal.to send those electronically.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Wow. I always had to drop paper script for any narcotic medication. Thought it was illegal.to send those electronically.

that might be the case. This guy was shady as hell.

although after a surgery i was given papers for percs, and the pharmacy let my girlfriend pick it up with just a “Yes he’s out cold in the car still wobbly from the anesthesia.” I don’t remember any of it, but she says that i was preparing myself to walk in because no way would a pharmacy let anyone other than the patient pick up percs. Well, i guess i was wrong.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Once we're all set fluffing Pfizer and Moderna for getting the vaccine out, this story of how opiates are destroying communities can help us all remember how Big Pharma is f***ing evil and responsible for that.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Of course they did. Can't get those kick backs without the right percentage of scripts given out. They gave it to me after my shoulder surgery. 14 days worth. I took it for three and switched to the 800 mg ibuprofen I asked for. To this day I don't remember those 3 days. Never again.

oh that’s right we talked about this lol

i was given 14 pills, not days, with instructions that i would likely need 1-2 every 4-6 hours. Which is correct. On day four i took a half in the AM and got violently ill by lunch time. After that it was Motrin and Benadryl for the itching/withdrawals

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
I'm not there anymore,lived across the tracks,but Friday nights in the 70s over there was hell. We could hear the gunfire from there and the screeching of tires up the American Legion Highway from the 1/4 mile races. I'm told that Hayes still frequents the area.
It isn't quite that bad in the Archdale area but the drag races on ALH still happen after midnight and are absolutely terrifying if you are inadvertently caught in the middle of one.

Archdale is still policed heavier than most neighborhoods but none of the violence is random.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Sick kids hospital gave it to her through iv

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
My wife was prescribed Oxycontin when she fell off a ladder and shattered her wrist. She took one, felt short of breath, and flushed the rest down the toilet. Tylenol was going to have to suffice.

Unfortunately, it's tough now to looks at these pro athletes and not wonder who is next. Boogard, Montador, Jimmy Hayes, the pressure on these athletes to get back on the ice or the field using whatever medication necessary to get them back ASAP has cost lives. And it's going to happen again. I don't know what the answer is. I can only imagine with Kevin Hayes is thinking now. Out with surgery, sure to get injured again. I'm sure he will be faced with these pain killer options too. It's just cruel.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
As someone who's a wrestling fan I'm glad the newer generations are not interested in living that old school wrestler lifestyle (alcohol/pills/other drugs etc)

It's a shame when you see the older guys lament about how the locker room nowadays is "soft" because they aren't going out partying all night doing every substance under the sun.

Not sure how they can romanticise that lifestyle knowing that a large number of their former coworkers are dead/f'd up and barely hanging on.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

Percocet is Satan's painkiller IMO. I was given it after rotator cuff surgery because morphine & demerol made me vomit. Percocet didn't. Instead it completely shut down my bladder & bowel functions, resulting in a trip to the ER where the staff used a catheter & other instruments of torture to clean me out. They offered me another painkiller but I said no thanks, I'll stick to aspirin. They were very surprised at my refusal. I was very surprised at their surprise, given my experiences with the stuff. Even now if my back flares up I won't take anything stronger, the last thing I need is to get hooked on pain medication

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
that might be the case. This guy was shady as hell.

although after a surgery i was given papers for percs, and the pharmacy let my girlfriend pick it up with just a “Yes he’s out cold in the car still wobbly from the anesthesia.” I don’t remember any of it, but she says that i was preparing myself to walk in because no way would a pharmacy let anyone other than the patient pick up percs. Well, i guess i was wrong.
E-prescribing controlled substances has been an option for the last 4 or 5 years if the system/provider is setup for it (requires additional checks to make sure its the doctor sending it and not some front office staff with a login).

HockeyMomx2

Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
E-prescribing controlled substances has been an option for the last 4 or 5 years if the system/provider is setup for it (requires additional checks to make sure its the doctor sending it and not some front office staff with a login).
Interesting. I think I prefer the paper script and having to show ID to pick it up when it comes to that stuff. It only takes that one time that a dr. is in the middle of something highly important that he/she can't stop and gives their additional verification credentials to his secretary and then....

Reactions: Alicat

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
I can confirm this as I just picked up my ADHD medication yesterday that my doctor sent this way. Partners just started using this system less than 2 years ago. Until then I was being mailed paper prescriptions each month which I stored in my safe.

From my understanding, in MA, a doctor can e-subscribe up to 3 prescriptions in advance through a secure system. The catch is that each script has a don't fill before date and is only good for 1 month from that fill date.

When I am near the end of my current month I have to actually call the pharmacy to fill it. When I go, I have to give them my drivers license which they scan into the system before I pay. It is only after my payment goes through that they release my medication and my license back to me. They do this to prevent pharmacy shopping. The only time I can fill it at another pharmacy is if they are out of stock. Thankfully it rarely happens.

My local CVS is piloting a program where I can have my medicine delivered to me but I have to have my license on file and use the same card every time I fill it or it will flag to the state.

I had a hell of a time getting my meds this month because the pharmacy tech in training sat on my prescription refill request and it expired (no one called me either) so I had to wait for my doctor's office to re-submit a secure prescription. What a royal pain in the ass not to mention how awful and out of whack I felt.

Reactions: Bocephus86

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
Interesting. I think I prefer the paper script and having to show ID to pick it up when it comes to that stuff. It only takes that one time that a dr. is in the middle of something highly important that he/she can't stop and gives their additional verification credentials to his secretary and then....
My understanding is a paper prescription is also legally needed for an e-script. The idea is to speed up and make it easier for people to get their meds. Eventually the paper script is sent to the pharmacy but it is always on file (somewhere). The system is no different than the days when the docs would call the pharmacy to fill your script. If you think pharmacists accept your paper script without verification, you would be mistaken,

Reactions: Alicat

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Percocet is Satan's painkiller IMO. I was given it after rotator cuff surgery because morphine & demerol made me vomit. Percocet didn't. Instead it completely shut down my bladder & bowel functions, resulting in a trip to the ER where the staff used a catheter & other instruments of torture to clean me out. They offered me another painkiller but I said no thanks, I'll stick to aspirin. They were very surprised at my refusal. I was very surprised at their surprise, given my experiences with the stuff. Even now if my back flares up I won't take anything stronger, the last thing I need is to get hooked on pain medication
After my 3rd ankle surgery I refused to take the Oxycodone pill they tried to give me and my dr told me he would not release me until I took it.

He only prescribed me a low dose at my insistence and only gave me roughly 10-12 pills again, at my request. I ended up taking probably 3 pills total over the first week and then after that it was 800mg motrin and the rest I flushed down the toilet.

I never filled my pain pill prescriptions for my sinus surgeries.

I will happily take motrin and complain about the pain if it is that bad. In a way I feel lucky that I can not take most prescription pain medications because of how they interact with my anxiety/depression meds.

Reactions: StrBender and BMC

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
My understanding is a paper prescription is also legally needed for an e-script. The idea is to speed up and make it easier for people to get their meds. Eventually the paper script is sent to the pharmacy but it is always on file (somewhere). The system is no different than the days when the docs would call the pharmacy to fill your script. If you think pharmacists accept your paper script without verification, you would be mistaken,
The state of MA has a lovely database to track those of us on controlled substances and it is my understanding that audits are done weekly both at my providers office and the pharmacy.

Reactions: Barnum

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
If that's found out the MD is in major trouble. It would be the equivalent of an MD asking a staff person to write a script & sign their name for them in the old setup. Not to mention the possibility of an old paper script (blank) getting lifted off of a pad, or even a whole pad. Now there are electronic paper trails that can pin point the exact date/time/login/workstation ID that did the prescription. And the filling pharmacy system also has a record that can be easily audited.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad