Management Jim Montgomery

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa
He did his best with with Sweeney and company gave him. Not a single 2nd or 1st line C and no 1st or second line talent outside of one guy in Pastrnak.

This was a team of 3rd liners on cheap deals where a GM had bet poorly in the past and was handcuffed.

I keep hearing about how good this GM is, but now I'd actually like to see what Monty can do with talent.
What about last year? Plenty of talent then

Reactions: SonnyBoy

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I don't get this line of thinking tbh. Is the team good or not? If they aren't then who's fault is it? They won a round vs a Toronto team that didn't have their best players for half the games. I read bridge year a lot. Bridge to what? Championships?
The roster is plugged all the way through with cast offs and bandaids. It's a bridge year
I don't get this line of thinking tbh. Is the team good or not? If they aren't then who's fault is it? They won a round vs a Toronto team that didn't have their best players for half the games. I read bridge year a lot. Bridge to what? Championships?

edit: also don't mean to take my frustration out on you @Over the volcano
No worries.

I guess I'm just saying that he got so many guys to play above themselves. I who had a bad year playing for him ... DeBrusk maybe. Seems like everyone else played anice expectation. That, to me, is a coach pushing the right buttons and keeping momentum. Maybe they all just got lucky, maybe it was Sweeney getting just the right ingredients to work with eachother. But I think Montgomery had a lot to do with it too.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH

edit: also don't mean to take my frustration out on you @Over the volcano
Greater than the sum of their parts.

One just looks at the top six forwards, and cringes.
It’s a flawed group.

If I were an opposing team in a seven game series, my strategy would’ve been pretty simple. Beat the complete shit out of Pastrnak at every opportunity.

Make somebody else score.

They had a handful of games where the secondary scoring chipped in, and they looked like a different team.

But Montgomery hit the nail on the head last night. You can only go so far scoring one or two goals per game.

Last edited:

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
If brindamour becomes available I make the move. Otherwise as mad as I am at Monty and as little faith I have in him to not f*** up the playoffs, what are you going to do, bring in David Quinn?
Brind'amour and the Canes arguably underachievie every postseason, personally I don't like the structure he employs, man on man is tough to pull off and offensively it seems his style is throw shots on net from every where and hope for the best

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Before this playoff run I would have been pissed if they replaced Monty but now I'm more firmly 50/50.

Some of the player decisions were extremely perplexing - Forbort personally led to goals against all year and then Montgomery went back to that well in the playoffs and got the same result. Keeping Maroon AND JVR over Lauko when both were behind the play all series is tough. Size was helpful but both on the same line in a deciding game was real tough.

The line jumbling has ran its course with me - I'm sure Bruins fans are hyper critical of it bc its the local team etc but how are you going to change up the lines all year and get to the playoffs with combinations that have never played together before. What is the point of the jumbling if you don't know every option and use it as an advantage.

Part of this is on the roster construction but I'd give Sweeney a pass as this was a recovery year after last season - the dead money and lack of options in trades are part of going alllllll tf in.

BUT

Boston needs to bring a vet who is a leader but selfish next season bc another year of overpassing just to get it to pasta isn't going to be my favorite thing to watch again. Maybe Monty could step up and shut that down during the season but IDK

Boston was lucky to make it this far but the result was a bummer bc they actually had the talent to make some noise and the way they came up short feels a little more like a let down than i anticipated.
I don't know what Lauko did to Monty, but not to play that kid is a joke, when he was in the lineup even the analyst were saying Bruins forecheck was causing Florida D too move the puck much quicker.
I agree about over passing, MacAvoy drove me crazy last night passing up shots to make passes to players that were not in a better shooting position. They bragged about all these big bodies they had for the front of the net but to take advantage of that SHOOT THE DAMM PUCK !!!

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I keep him. But maybe an assistant or two needs replacing. Or augmenting.
I am off the Monty train, but I think it is wrong that he was told who he is assistants will be, and that has nothing to do with the job they have or have not done.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I keep him. But maybe an assistant or two needs replacing. Or augmenting.
I keep him too, not sure the assistants need replacing, I think what needs replacing or acquired is are a few players who play with sandpaper and have scoring touch.

Not sure there are many coaches who could have gotten more out of a top heavy lineup like this

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
I could see Kelly going back into the front office but ultimately, I think they keep the coaches they have and augment with someone who coaches special teams.

The problem with the powerplay isn’t Chris Kelly. It is on Don Sweeney for not bringing in the right players. Gotta have the talent to execute the game plan.

Reactions: rfournier103

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I am steadfast in my opinion that Montgomery is the long term answer at the helm for the Boston Bruins. I think the team has massively overachieved in his first two seasons here.

I sure as hell don’t agree with every decision he makes. But I don’t need to.

I am steadfast in my opinion that Montgomery is not the long-term answer at the helm for the Boston Bruins. I think the team has massively overachieved in the regular season his first two seasons here.

I sure as hell don't agree with most decisions he makes.

Sunny Jim was a marginally better playoff coach this time around.

Yet more questions per baffling, stupid decisions, hair-trigger line juggling and near complete failure to adjust tactics and strategy game to game {e.g. poor breakouts, defensive coverage, power play). An absurd number of "too many men on the Ice" penalties, regular season and playoffs -- the very definition of bad coaching.

Jim Montgomery is in no universe a long-term answer at the helm for the Boston Bruins.

He is not a head coach.

He is an excellent, offensive special teams coach.

An assistant coach.

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa
I am steadfast in my opinion that Montgomery is not the long-term answer at the helm for the Boston Bruins. I think the team has massively overachieved in the regular season his first two seasons here.

I sure as hell don't agree with most decisions he makes.

Sunny Jim was a marginally better playoff coach this time around.

Yet more questions per baffling, stupid decisions, hair-trigger line juggling and near complete failure to adjust tactics and strategy game to game {e.g. poor breakouts, defensive coverage, power play). An absurd number of "too many men on the Ice" penalties, regular season and playoffs -- the very definition of bad coaching.

Jim Montgomery is in no universe a long-term answer at the helm for the Boston Bruins.

He is not a head coach.

He is an excellent, offensive special teams coach.

An assistant coach.
PK maybe the PP is atrocious they do the same play every breakout just keep dropping it back stand flat at the blue line lose it or dump it and because 5-6 of the forwards are flat folded they get beat to the puck.

Reactions: GordonHowe

Ozzy Osbourne

Nov 14, 2023
I would fire Monty immediately followed by each assistant. Sacco, Kelly and whoever else is responsible. Get them all out.

I would have liked Berube, but Gallant would be great. Brindamour would be awesome. Let them bring in their own assistants as long as Sacco or Kelly are not considered. It’s time for a change.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I would fire Monty immediately followed by each assistant. Sacco, Kelly and whoever else is responsible. Get them all out.

I would have liked Berube, but Gallant would be great. Brindamour would be awesome. Let them bring in their own assistants as long as Sacco or Kelly are not considered. It’s time for a change.

So fire Montgomery in favor of 2 underachievers?

Reactions: gerrycheeversmask

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
i dont know.
with what he had, he did a great job.
just need to use cap space wisely and we should be alot better.
i wouldve canned him after last years chokejob.
this year. not his fault at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad