Management Jim Montgomery

Feb 25, 2016
Well, Monty didn't think what was working was worth keeping.

So, it's (hopefully) back to Beecher for cement-footed Maroon, Shattenkirk for Fizzrzelcyk , and Brazeau for (has someone seen my Twinkie) JVR.

GZ.gif

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
You old timers will know what I mean. You youngsters will be scratching your heads.

When I was a kid, we had to sometimes work magic to get TV38 to come in. Sometimes getting a decent picture and sound at the same time was a real chore. Finely adjusting the top dial - nuancing it somewhere between the inexact notches on the dial somewhere between say 36 to 39 territory. Impossible to know where because it sure as hell wasn't digital. That effort was done in concert with careful adjustment of the rabbit ears, sometimes even the orientation of the set itself, often a few whacks on the side as if that would do something. It required patience, a deft touch, and the ability to experiment - but not too wildly. Like adjusting the derailleur on a bike. Small changes, reset. Small changes, reset. Start getting bold and changing everything at once? Usually a poor result. And if there was bad weather? Times all of that by two.

It also required the ability to sometimes accept something that was working just fine, if not absolutely 100% perfect. Actually, often perfection was very much the enemy of perfectly fine.

You know who Jim Montgomery is? That asshole who -- in the middle of the game while we are all settled in our seats with beers and happily watching -- starts f***ing with the antenna to make it "perfect". The guy who ends up costing us all the better part of the period watching static -- after he screws up a good thing and then starts essentially from scratch.

There was usually a bench clearing brawl we'd hear about on the snippets of audio while he's ham handing things to boot. No worries though, we could just "rewind" once the signal comes back on, right???? f*** that, we could.

No. You know who Jim Montgomery is???? He's the guy that did that to us last week and now has the f***ing audacity to do it again THIS week.

Can't remember too many times I've been more angry as a Bruins fan in 50+ of watching endless games.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007

You use the fact that you made three changes after Game 2 as some sort of rationalization for what you did last night???????? You made three changes for game 3 BECAUSE YOU LOST GAME TWO YOU f***ING MORON!! That's what you should do in those situations.

So then you win games 3 and 4, chased a shitty goalie for a worse one, and knew that Matthews was at best questionable for game 5. And yet you put in an undersized D man who struggles with PO forecheck, shift D men to their off sides, give up speed, and sit your best faceoff man in the series.

And the changes resulted in EXACTLY the impact that the vast majority of fans here on HF said they would. Because we are geniuses? No. Because most of us aren't f***ing stupid.

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa
Amazing how anyone could have watched that performance and blame the coach because he swapped out a 4th liner and number 6 defenseman.
Amazing how anyone could have watched that performance and not blamed the coach because he swapped out your only good faceoff center and swapped in a sub par playoff performer who played nearly 19 mins and was to blame on the Ot goal. After WINNING the last few games with Beecher and Shattenkirk in!

the negotiator

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
You old timers will know what I mean. You youngsters will be scratching your heads.

When I was a kid, we had to sometimes work magic to get TV38 to come in. Sometimes getting a decent picture and sound at the same time was a real chore. Finely adjusting the top dial - nuancing it somewhere between the inexact notches on the dial somewhere between say 36 to 39 territory. Impossible to know where because it sure as hell wasn't digital. That effort was done in concert with careful adjustment of the rabbit ears, sometimes even the orientation of the set itself, often a few whacks on the side as if that would do something. It required patience, a deft touch, and the ability to experiment - but not too wildly. Like adjusting the derailleur on a bike. Small changes, reset. Small changes, reset. Start getting bold and changing everything at once? Usually a poor result. And if there was bad weather? Times all of that by two.

It also required the ability to sometimes accept something that was working just fine, if not absolutely 100% perfect. Actually, often perfection was very much the enemy of perfectly fine.

You know who Jim Montgomery is? That asshole who -- in the middle of the game while we are all settled in our seats with beers and happily watching -- starts f***ing with the antenna to make it "perfect". The guy who ends up costing us all the better part of the period watching static -- after he screws up a good thing and then starts essentially from scratch.

There was usually a bench clearing brawl we'd hear about on the snippets of audio while he's ham handing things to boot. No worries though, we could just "rewind" once the signal comes back on, right???? f*** that, we could.

No. You know who Jim Montgomery is???? He's the guy that did that to us last week and now has the f***ing audacity to do it again THIS week.

Can't remember too many times I've been more angry as a Bruins fan in 50+ of watching endless games.
This made me laugh out loud .....so so true

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Amazing how anyone could have watched that performance and not blamed the coach because he swapped out your only good faceoff center and swapped in a sub par playoff performer who played nearly 19 mins and was to blame on the Ot goal. After WINNING the last few games with Beecher and Shattenkirk in!

You really do seem to view the game with blinders on.

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
Amazing how anyone could have watched that performance and blame the coach because he swapped out a 4th liner and number 6 defenseman.

Yeah end of the day, our core and leadership group played one of the worst games of the season through about 30 mins of game time. In game 5 of the playoffs!

It's just unreal. Then slowly, they tried.

Healthy Wrap

May 15, 2014
Neely’s Kitchen
He also completely reconfigured the lines. I thought Debrusk-Zacha-Pastrnak and Marchand-Coyle-Geekie looked really good in games 3 and 4. No need to stray from that. But yes, the effort from the players was also abysmal

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

Brazeau for Beecher isn't the reason they lost but I still have a hard time understanding that move.

We all know the playoffs is a ramped up pace. More physical, more dump-and-chase. Here's Brazeau who speed-wise is borderline for an NHL player, no past history to show he can handle the increased pace. No games of NHL playoff experience period. Coming off an injury. I thought there was a clear risk to dressing him and minimal reward. I just didn't see what the rational was to dress him and sit a (supposedly) healthy player from a winning line-up.

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
i hate him but rod the bod may have to test the market after his offer was pulled according to dreger.

pressure is on jimbo

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
This series has all of a sudden turned into "survival of the coaches". Imo which ever team bows out their coach is a goner.

i hate him but rod the bod may have to test the market after his offer was pulled according to dreger.

pressure is on jimbo
Reunion with Francis, maybe ?

Reactions: McGarnagle

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
While I'm not 100% confident that Monty is the right coach for these guys, I'm putting the blame mostly on the players for last night than him. That 1st period was atrocious and they played scared.

Brazeau didn't even look bad to me either. Taking Beecher out for him isn't an excuse for Coyle and Zacha to be terrible at faceoffs.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Like Marty Schottenheimer, a great regular season coach who got his teams to buy in and put up phenomenal results over a full season, then every January shit down his own leg in the playoffs.

Reactions: BMC and SPLBRUIN

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010

pressure is on jimbo

Wow, those Carolina owners sure sound frugal. I would take Brind'Amour every day of the week over Montgomery. He inspires confidence behind the bench unlike our guy.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Can Monty put Coyle between Pastrnak and Coyle? That would be a consistently dangerous line.

Wow, those Carolina owners sure sound frugal. I would take Brind'Amour every day of the week over Montgomery. He inspires confidence behind the bench unlike our guy.
I like Brind'Amour for sure. Not ready to give up on Montgomery yet but if Rod was available, hell yes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad