Management Jim Montgomery 2: Trouble in Paradise?

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
At that point, Eichel's unusual injury and the high risk surgical procedure he was determined to pursue in addressing it were very much scary unknowns.

Scary enough to chase away potential suitors, including the Bruins.

Some forget how fraught the situation was, and the gamble Eichel took to save his career.

A successful outcome was far from assured.

Lucky for Jack, the Vegas Golden Knights and the NHL, things worked out.
can`t recall the situation at that time but do I remember correctly or not that Eichel said it was Vegas or nowhere? Again, likely have that wrong but thought I`d ask as I feel that`s what I recall

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
Well, it's pretty obvious Cam and Co. is not sold on Monty. When was the last time a coach wasn't extended in the final year of his contract? They would have extended him already. Then they bring in Jay Leach which I'm sure wasn't Monty's call. I'm pretty sure that none of those coaches were his call. It's just a matter of time I think.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I'm just wondering if one day the criticism is ever going to go towards the architects of the teams the past decade instead of coaches, players, referees, bad ice, tough schedules, and of course phantom injuries, Clearly at some point Montgomery will take the fall. How many coaches is it ok for a GM to have? 5, 6...8?

To be fair Lou, Sweeneely have taken their fair share of shit on this board over the years, and to me, more than what's fair (ymmv). They get a lot of slack from ownership, sure, and that's where the sacking has to come from for those guys. I guess Cam could fire Don. How many GMs has the team had in our lifetimes (I think we are just about the same age)? Clearly JJ likes stability in the upper management and until team profits start to sink, I can't imagine an incentive to fire those guys.

Monty will take the fall at some point, yep. That is the way. How many coaches did Harry go through? It was a lot. OC went through his share in his relatively short tenure. Chia was the outlier and the main coach he had outlasted him. Sweeney is on coach 3. I guess he gets a couple more but also will likely have to have a couple DNQs, too.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
can`t recall the situation at that time but do I remember correctly or not that Eichel said it was Vegas or nowhere? Again, likely have that wrong but thought I`d ask as I feel that`s what I recall
I don't think that was the case. I think the issue was that there were teams that like BUF didn't want to take the risk on the player's choice of a particular surgery.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I don't think that was the case. I think the issue was that there were teams that like BUF didn't want to take the risk on the player's choice of a particular surgery.
ah ok, thx, as I mentioned, wasn`t sure, merely a thought I had but clearly was wrong, thank you

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
I mean, I kinda get it.

If you are a fan, you want the team to win.

It's a lot better to think that one simple change (firing the coach and hiring a new one) will fix things than to think "Wow the organizational depth, long term cap situation and scarcity of prospects that we can build around means one quick fix won't work."
I just don’t want the Sinden era again where almost good enough was revered by the Jacobs. The fans couldn’t stand it like they do now for whatever reason but that’s another story

Last edited:

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
To be fair Lou, Sweeneely have taken their fair share of shit on this board over the years, and to me, more than what's fair (ymmv). They get a lot of slack from ownership, sure, and that's where the sacking has to come from for those guys. I guess Cam could fire Don. How many GMs has the team had in our lifetimes (I think we are just about the same age)? Clearly JJ likes stability in the upper management and until team profits start to sink, I can't imagine an incentive to fire those guys.

Monty will take the fall at some point, yep. That is the way. How many coaches did Harry go through? It was a lot. OC went through his share in his relatively short tenure. Chia was the outlier and the main coach he had outlasted him. Sweeney is on coach 3. I guess he gets a couple more but also will likely have to have a couple DNQs, too.
To me it’s not a coincedence that the most successful GM they have had in 25 years is a guy they brought in from outside the organization. I believe they only had 4 players they drafted on the team (2 by Gorton, 2 by MOC) and Chia, Gorton and MOC added the rest. I saw it with Sinden, yes men abound, ownership having no real edict to win it all etc. don’t get me wrong I don’t think Sweeney should be let go now, but if he fires his third coach the clock needs to start ticking unless again 41 sellouts is what the owners goal truly is.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dr Hook

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad