Management Jim Montgomery 2: Trouble in Paradise?

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
Dude they’re never going to hire Q after all that. And they shouldn’t. No one should.
I get you and I wouldn't and I'd expect them not to, but there has been talk about him returning to the league. It wouldn't be the first time someone got an "I've changed and learned" chance.

It'll be Leach.

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
This is not all inclusive but someone asked me what disturbing trends i had see energing over the last couple of years in spite of the team success the last two seasons ... (some aspects I covered in other posts and will try not to repeat here other than for continuity purposes). Feel free to disagree this is just an opinion through observation, not a fact.

Two years ago the Bruins had a veteran and very deep team lineup combined with some rising star young players.
The team was pretty much loaded.
Montgomery was brought in to be a player’s coach.
Montgomery pretty much let the players play. Montgomery was along for the ride, more of a goodwill ambassador with an uptempo freestyle quick transition game plan.
The majority of the players on that team already knew how to play defense and knew the importance of defensive zone coverage. - (This is an important fact as many of the players on the team had learned defensive positioning under Cassidy who had worked with Julian and a few more under the direct direction of Julian - it can not be overlooked.)

I credit the players for the regular season success.
In the playoffs when the team needed a coach to have a strategic game plan and make the hard decisions he came up short with many rumors he (Montgomery) deferred to the players judgment.
Why not, letting players have a say worked all season.

That team never should have lost to Florida.
Not because of their regular record but because of the team's depth, talent, skill and experience.
Imo it was because of a lack of leadership in decisiveness and strategic adaptation in the playoffs by the coach.

Last year many key veteran players were gone from the roster.
Still playing an up tempo quick transition freestyle game plan.
Cracks in team's defensive structure began to emerge throughout the season.
The team was carried again by strong goaltending covering for defensive lapses.
The powerplay became impotent.
Some players exceeded expectations playing above their effectiveness level during the regular season when give the chance ...
However those same players who exceeded expectations in the regular season were exposed as a team weakness in the playoffs when matched up against first line and second line players game after game.
Again, playoffs, the team was lucky to escape the first round and a lack of strategic game plan adaptation until about game 4 of round 2 was too little adjustment too late.

This year more turnover in player personnel.
And well...
What appears to be nearly complete fundamental breakdown in defensive team structure and positional play.
The team looks lost and frustrated.
Montgomery is a player’s coach which is fine when you have a veteran team and everybody knows their assignments and responsibilities.
But what is the defensive team structure?
What are the forwards defensive responsibilities in the defensive zone?
Do our players know their responsibilities?
Because on their on ice play shows something is wrong.

My theory is the system is design to break out quickly and transition to offense and that is their defensive team structure.
Head up ice as quick as possible.
Therfore it leads to missed assignments and coverage by both defensmen and forwards, turnovers, and a tendency to give up odd man rushes against our goalies.
Opponents have adapted their forecheck against us to counter our transition game and they have adapted their defensive posture to counter our zone entry and forecheck.

The question is: Can Montgomery adjust and adapt his approach?
Will he adapt his strategy to the strengths of the players he has on the team?
Or will he continue to try and force a square pegs into a round hole?
What I have seen to date isn't promising, but anything is possible.
How long will the powers that be give him to right the ship?

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
He seemed cooked last year plus he truly misses Bergeron.
That and with injuries....Id say this is his last year. He's going to hang up the boots.
I wouldn't mind another at 1-2 mil and defined 4th line role just because you kick the can down the road for finding a replacement and we're desperate for wingers.

I doubt he's willing to play for less and probably wants to retire as captain of the Bs. Vs maybe get 2.5-3 or so on the market which I think he could find somewhere on a 1 year deal but maybe not if he is like this all year.

Deal Law

I would love to QEF your PFIC
Jan 15, 2006
Bucks County, PA
This team was supposed to be in the conversation for a cup, but with the lazy, undisciplined way they’re playing they’ll be lucky to make the playoffs. I put that blame squarely on the coaches. There is no runway here to turn it around in a season where the expectations are what they are. Monty needs to go and someone who can do the job brought in. Full stop.

This is not Buffalo or Chicago where we’re in the middle of a process. This is the culmination of a process and it needs to be righted right f***ing now.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
I’m generally a pro-Monty guy. With reason.

He’s coached this team to two over-achieving regular seasons over two years at the helm. He’s earned some slack

He also was largely to blame for his first season’s playoff failure and an unceremonious end to Bergeron’s career. He’s earned some criticism.

It’s not so much the record right now that has me concerned… it’s how lost they seem. But going into this year, an adjustment period is something I expected.

The coaching staff has a lot to deal with:
The Bruins have one legitimate top line forward in Pastrnak.

They have a few genuine second line forwards in Zacha, Marchand, Lindholm and (in my opinion) Charlie Coyle. That requires 2/4 to play above their station, one of which won’t be Coyle. Which means that their top line is basically a second line in Pastrnak’s clothing.

Then they have Geekie, Frederic, Poitras and perhaps Brazeau to round out the 2nd/3rd lines, all of whom SHOULD could be contributing 3rd players. We want so much to label these guys as top six/bottom six, but the roster just isn’t built like that. There is no “second line”. It’s a bunch of guys.

It’s just little wonder to me that they look bad out of the gate.
He doesn’t have that killer instinct of coaching in the playoffs. Treats a series like it’s the regular season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad