Management Jim Montgomery 2: Trouble in Paradise?

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
The Bruins problems are with their best players not performing

Pastrnak is in idle mode to much and his 2 lazy stick penalties one on offensive zone trip led to 2 early second period PPG

McAvoy is clearly excited to become a dad and his complete focus seems not there

Between child and getting hair I get it but he’s got to be better

Monty is all over the map with lines & pairings - he’s had more failed lines then Edison with electricity

I think they get beat tonight he’s gone
The GM is spending $30m on D that can't defend. He gave a 29 year old guy $5m for 6 years. He's hamstrung the team with all sorts of ntc and nmc contracts.

He took on $3m for 5 years for a guy who is one of the worst backups in the league, all because he was desperate to use a late 1st on a longterm project.

He overpaid for guys like Coyle, Geekie, Zacha, and Lindholm. If Marchand is cooked then this team is missing the playoffs.

Monty is juggling lines because the GM handed him a roster full of overpaid guys, being asked to play above their actual level, who all got their contracts and are happy to collect a paycheck.

Not to mention, this GM fired the last coach because he was too mean and the comfy players didn't like it. And if Monty isn't a good coach and it's his fault.. then the GM and Team President should be responsible for firing a Cup winning coach to hire this guy AND to keep him on for 3 years.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
The GM is spending $30m on D that can't defend. He gave a 29 year old guy $5m for 6 years. He's hamstrung the team with all sorts of ntc and nmc contracts.

He took on $3m for 5 years for a guy who is one of the worst backups in the league, all because he was desperate to use a late 1st on a longterm project.

He overpaid for guys like Coyle, Geekie, Zacha, and Lindholm. If Marchand is cooked then this team is missing the playoffs.

Monty is juggling lines because the GM handed him a roster full of overpaid guys, being asked to play above their actual level, who all got their contracts and are happy to collect a paycheck.

Not to mention, this GM fired the last coach because he was too mean and the comfy players didn't like it. And if Monty isn't a good coach and it's his fault.. then the GM and Team President should be responsible for firing a Cup winning coach to hire this guy AND to keep him on for 3 years.
Dave - if everything I say you don’t disagree with me I might reply or take your opinion serious

I may have a very low iq and would be the worst president ever if I was one but I’m probably at least like a broken clock getting something right twice a year

Sorry can’t take you seriously on this

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
IMO this post absolutely nails it. The leaders of this team have been a major problem. Id probably extend if to the other key veterans too. Coyle, Zacha, Geekie. All virtually useless thus far.

The stuff I do worry about that is reflective of coaching are the penalties and the constant needless icings. That’s effort and attention to detail. That’s very uncharacteristic of the Bruins in recent years.
So let’s watch Pastrnak & Marchand tonight and going forward and see how many bad stick penalties on Pasta and unnecessary on Marchy

Pastrnak OT penalty against Utah and last game 2 killers in 2 shifts

The second one if was on Kuraly, Cassidy would have strangled him and he’d have been sat a few games

Marchy talks a good game but his play ain’t doing Monty any favors

I’m coach I’m not yelling but I’m showing every penalty before the next practice - deserved, undeserved, and discussing it

Maybe these two specifically will realize they are almost all preventable

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
It's far too early for this discussion in my opinion.

Swayman missed the entirety of training camp. Marchand is coming off surgery, E Lindholm is adjusting to new system and line mates.

I would like to see Sweeney makes some roster moves so that he can sign Tyler Johnson. I think he would help a lot with depth.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
20 games 20 games 20 games

Short of something really bad like 7 regulation losses in the next 8 I just don't think we'll actually know anything for 20 games. This might be exactly who they are (the lack of puck moving from the backend could really be fatal), but what if they win their next 4 instead? Both good and bad teams have bad runs and good runs over the course of a long season. Need a bigger sample size to know what you actually have.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
It's far too early for this discussion in my opinion.

Swayman missed the entirety of training camp. Marchand is coming off surgery, E Lindholm is adjusting to new system and line mates.

I would like to see Sweeney makes some roster moves so that he can sign Tyler Johnson. I think he would help a lot with depth.
Swayman made several outstanding saves in the first period and caught a break with cross bar

Bruins were outshooting 10-5 but I thought Dallas had 5 or 6 excellent scoring chances majority saved by Swayman. Couple missed net, iron, or deflected wide

Marchand skating looks good his mind part of the game not there at all

McAvoy same - skating is excellent but to many poor decisions- needs to simplify/safe play

Pasta is on idle where he occasionally reevs it up but generally not what you want - inconsistent as heck

Reactions: TP70BruinsCup

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Pretty much sums me up so far too.

1729957030240.jpeg

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I don`t always agree with his lineup moves or struggles at times to make in game adjustments but he sure as hell can`t control :

• players taking stupid penalties
  • complete lack of focus with the puck leading to far too consistent giveaways
  • players looked to for leadership/production doing nothing offensively
  • prices of beer at the TD :) ok, this one was just a throw in

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
20 games 20 games 20 games

Short of something really bad like 7 regulation losses in the next 8 I just don't think we'll actually know anything for 20 games. This might be exactly who they are (the lack of puck moving from the backend could really be fatal), but what if they win their next 4 instead? Both good and bad teams have bad runs and good runs over the course of a long season. Need a bigger sample size to know what you actually have.
Yeh 20 games really is the right answer

Thanks for reminding me lol.

I’m going and I need to see some consistency not here and there - up and down

Jorgolyte

Jun 9, 2024
Yah big disagree

Marchand is still quick and around puck and getting opportunities

His decisions are to high risk and his style can best be described out-of-control

A 63-28-88 should be a high end line

Coyle & Frederic have long been an very good duo

They were very good the other night - they were skating and had several high scoring chances individually and setting up their RW. Their game didn’t get praise because of 63 & 88 four penalties all weak but deserved and flipped game and momentum

They aren’t washed up

The 4th line has been superb

I’d keep Kastelic & Beecher together on 4th

I’d keep Fredric & Coyle together on 3rd

I’d keep 88 & 63 together with Lindholm ~ those two are making the majority of mistakes so stick them together and assume they bear down

Right now they are the trick o’ treat line

Poitras has shown growth at center and for general effort and nice plays Zacha after Koepke has been their shift to shift best forward

Load it and leave it ~ mess around with the RW group

63-28-88
18-51
11-13
19-47

I’d try Koepke with lines 2 or 3 he seems very disciplined and high hockey iq

Smart move getting a young Tampa guy with some power game

If Marchand is going to play out of control, Pastrnak like he’s still releasing doves off some castle in Prague, and Mac like he’s just to excited or tired from first child then they are doomed

My other complaint is the D

Lohrei - Mac
Lindy - Carlo
Z- Peeke

Wortherspoon nice injury replacement although Sweezey is better ~ but brutal bad penalty (there’s a pattern here) that led to third goal

Bruins have talent - they are sloppy, unfocused, reckless and it’s their core
I just don't see that as a high end first line with Marchy's slowing down and Lindholm being imo a 2c at best. And what is there after those three? It's a very humble forward group I'm afraid, particularly with scoring. I don't see how it can be viewed otherwise

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
Swayman made several outstanding saves in the first period and caught a break with cross bar

Bruins were outshooting 10-5 but I thought Dallas had 5 or 6 excellent scoring chances majority saved by Swayman. Couple missed net, iron, or deflected wide

Marchand skating looks good his mind part of the game not there at all

McAvoy same - skating is excellent but to many poor decisions- needs to simplify/safe play

Pasta is on idle where he occasionally reevs it up but generally not what you want - inconsistent as heck
The poor decisions are particularly confounding. 5 on 5 I thought they were right there with Dallas despite the turnovers. The undisciplined play leading to penalties leading to pp goals against were frustrating as well.

Bottom line there are many things to fix with the team right now.

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
Anyone know the reason the B's passed on Eichel when he was skating with them at Warrior? Neck or something else like "not a good fit"? Seems he was exactly what they needed with 46/37 aging out.

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021

I think you have a coherent analysis, but even IF you are correct, it won't change the fact that Monty is currently on a hot seat and will be the sacrifice lamb. He knows it and his body language tells me he knows.

Jacobs won't fire neither Sweeney and/or Neely for sure, not on a short term. Boston are stuck with the current roster and contract like it or not.

One issue if they keep struggling! Fans will ask the head of someone. It is what it is. And it is going to be Monty.

I agree with some here.... wait till the first 20 games and see how everything goes.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
8 games in, too soon for this fan to panic. They have some kinks to work out of their game, but they’ll find it soon. Some new faces to integrate. I think they’ll turn it around soon.

I do however think the front office needs to plug the hole on the 2nd line RW asap.

Again, no matter who is behind the bench, it will take time for Boston to mesh as a team.

Because in significant measure they are a different group, with transplants, younger guys beginning to develop their game, and Bruins veterans adjusting to different roles.

Almost as important, for the first time in Don Sweeney's tenure as GM, Boston is (ostensibly anyway) attempting to implement a heavier style of play.

Vezina winner Linus Ullmark is gone, and with him one half of the best goaltending tandem in the NHL. This too is an adjustment, never mind nursing Korpisalo's game back to health.

The Swayman soap opera didn't help matters

And as everyone knows, sans extension, Montgomery is coaching for his job.

A lot of dough rolled out the door in the off season. Expectations were and remain very high on the part of ownership, management and fans.

So, small wonder that there has been mistake prone, penalty filled, and painfully boring hockey from your Boston Bruins out of the gate.

I don't see the circumstance changing for the better soon.

Yet, FWIW, I believe eventually they will get it together as a team.

In the meantime...

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I think you have a coherent analysis, but even IF you are correct, it won't change the fact that Monty is currently on a hot seat and will be the sacrifice lamb. He knows it and his body language tells me he knows.

Jacobs won't fire neither Sweeney and/or Neely for sure, not on a short term. Boston are stuck with the current roster and contract like it or not.

One issue if they keep struggling! Fans will ask the head of someone. It is what it is. And it is going to be Monty.

I agree with some here.... wait till the first 20 games and see how everything goes.
I agree it will be him. He has flaws and can't get passed them. But allowing the people who fired the prior coach to hire him to get off scott free is absurd (not you, the ownership)

Reactions: Bradely

bruinsfan1968

Make America United Again! Save our Democracy!
May 6, 2019
This team will eventually figure it out and right the ship, however what can happen outside of hockey next month, could potentially steer this country in the wrong direction. Just saying!

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I’m generally a pro-Monty guy. With reason.

He’s coached this team to two over-achieving regular seasons over two years at the helm. He’s earned some slack

He also was largely to blame for his first season’s playoff failure and an unceremonious end to Bergeron’s career. He’s earned some criticism.

It’s not so much the record right now that has me concerned… it’s how lost they seem. But going into this year, an adjustment period is something I expected.

The coaching staff has a lot to deal with:
The Bruins have one legitimate top line forward in Pastrnak.

They have a few genuine second line forwards in Zacha, Marchand, Lindholm and (in my opinion) Charlie Coyle. That requires 2/4 to play above their station, one of which won’t be Coyle. Which means that their top line is basically a second line in Pastrnak’s clothing.

Then they have Geekie, Frederic, Poitras and perhaps Brazeau to round out the 2nd/3rd lines, all of whom SHOULD could be contributing 3rd players. We want so much to label these guys as top six/bottom six, but the roster just isn’t built like that. There is no “second line”. It’s a bunch of guys.

It’s just little wonder to me that they look bad out of the gate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad