Jim Coleman conference final: Broome Dusters vs. Windsor Spitfires

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Babe Siebert - Tom Johnson is NOT our 1st pairing. ;)

It's our second.

We drafted 4 dmen in the top-120 players of all time range (got our pairings set early enough to not be a liability - got quality luckily, in a no-trade draft). We were stoked to get a solid HHOF playoff-proven core).

There are different ways to build a championship team: some don't have a top-10 center, some don't have a top-10 goalie, some don't have a top-10 dman.

It's about chemistry and compensating strengths and a clear way of winning.

• Haha
Reactions: nabby12

spitsfan24

Mar 18, 2017
ATD Email.png
I'm not talking about Siebert or (Tom) Johnson.

I've never attached a photo, so I don't know if I did this properly, but here's the email I received of your post. As you can see, Babe and Tom are not on the top pair.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Ryan Suter - Brent Burns

... is an ATD 3rd pairing put in a 2nd pairing role.

And Heatley isn't top-6 championship role material.

spitsfan24

Mar 18, 2017
Ryan Suter - Brent Burns

... is an ATD 3rd pairing put in a 2nd pairing role.

And Heatley isn't top-6 championship role material.
I disagree with pretty much everything you've said here.

First of all, Suter-Burns is a rock solid ATD second pair. Suter is being coached by Trotz and is playing with a huge right-handed defenseman that possesses a great two-way game. Sound familiar? It should. We've seen how effective Suter is under these circumstances, and I have no doubt he can perform well with Burns in a second pairing capacity.

Furthermore, Moose Johnson-Jacques Laperriere

... is an ATD 2nd pairing put in a 1st pairing role.

Earl Seibert is a 2x ATD champion. Both times, he was used on the top pair (and as the #1 D). Bob Goldham, all the way down on the Spits' 3rd pair, has won an ATD championship on a second pair.

Windsor doesn't have any holes on their blueline. Broome does on their top pair. But we've been through that enough so I'll move on.

Dany Heatley has won an ATD as a top-six RW. If he's not top-six championship role material, surely Broadbent isn't top line material?

While we're on the subject of "championship material", Smokey Harris and Mickey MacKay have recently won an ATD on a third line with Patrice Bergeron. That was in an 18 team league. With Lemaire centering them this year in a deeper league, I'd certainly call that "championship material", wouldn't you?

Last edited:

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Sorry I haven’t had any time this week to participate further. Swamped with work and today was an all-day family trip. Hope to get back at it soon.

Reactions: spitsfan24

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
You missed the 282nd and 190th picks deemed a "rock solid" ATD pairing (to get two 2nd pairing guys that late would be remarkable - 3rd pairing guys, expected), the latter being Brent Burns whose defensive play has often been suspect, his size and shot having him RW some years.

spitsfan24

Mar 18, 2017
You missed the 282nd and 190th picks deemed a "rock solid" ATD pairing (to get two 2nd pairing guys that late would be remarkable - 3rd pairing guys, expected), the latter being Brent Burns whose defensive play has often been suspect, his size and shot having him RW some years.
I just don't understand this line of thinking.

You've admitted yourself that the board fell your way at times. Sometimes, guys fall. I don't see why their draft position matters when we're supposed to be determining who wins in a head-to-head matchup.

To further illustrate my point, Punch Broadbent was selected 247th. Jacques Laperriere was selected 109th. That's quite late for a top-line RW and top-pair defenceman using your logic, no? I guess those guys aren't suited for their roles on your club if we're using this system.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
1. Punch? Re-uniting a dynasty line has value!

(We prioritized Nighbor's pre-dynasty HHOF RWer Jack Darragh to play 3rd line and 1st line minutes.)

Jacques Laperriere was selected 109th.
He is a worthy 2nd dman on any hockey team, even in the ATD.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
To be clear: we have 4 dmen that are all #2 dmen in an ATD context (we prioritized d AFTER our C, C, G and Nighbor's wingman LW). We completed our top 4 early.

Sawchuk should be happy. Plus with dynasty Nighbor reloaded? And playoff MESSIER aptly handling the turbulence!

We worked hard to build this. And this line up is worthy of championship material. Isn't it?

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Pulford on the 3rd line,

Siebert alternate captain,

Hart trophy HHOF Pratt 3rd pairing?
(coach: 'let him be him' cuz he a 'star')

Draisaitl on the 4th.

This is a deserving line up!

I'd get this line up tattoo'd on my back if i was 20 years younger (i have three tats already, and too many aches and pains come with age to add to it now).

Last edited:

spitsfan24

Mar 18, 2017
1. Punch? Re-uniting a dynasty line has value!

(We prioritized Nighbor's pre-dynasty HHOF RWer Jack Darragh to play 3rd line and 1st line minutes.)

He is a worthy 2nd dman on any hockey team, even in the ATD.
So you can apply context to your team's draft positions. I urge you to do the same with Windsor's.

Since you seem to like championship material so much, Laperriere has never won an ATD playing on the top pair.
Pulford on the 3rd line,

Siebert alternate captain,

Hart trophy HHOF Pratt 3rd pairing?
(coach: 'let him be him' cuz he a 'star')

Draisaitl on the 4th.

This is a deserving line up!

I'd get this line up tattoo'd on my back if i was 20 years younger (i have three tats already, and too many aches and pains come with age to add to it now).
To be clear: we have 4 dmen that are all #2 dmen in an ATD context (we prioritized d AFTER our C, C, G and Nighbor's wingman LW). We completed our top 4 early.

Sawchuk should be happy. Plus with dynasty Nighbor reloaded? And playoff MESSIER aptly handling the turbulence!

We worked hard to build this. And this line up is worthy of championship material. Isn't it?
I'm not dismissing the fact that you guys worked hard to build this. I've also said multiple times Broome is a great team. I just think there are a few weaknesses that Windsor is well-equipped to exploit. Therefore, the Spits win the series.

And just so I'm being clear: you do not have four blueliners that are all #2 dmen. Laperriere and (Moose) Johnson are the only ones you could make an argument for, and even then, you're pushing it.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Laperriere has never won an ATD playing on the top pair.
I dunno anything about that.

But he has won 6 Stanley Cups, the first rookie all-star dman in 20 years, two more immediate 1st team NHL all star selections, a Norris trophy and a plus-minus record to rival up and coming Bobby Orr.

Jacques Laperriere is an ATD top-3 role great. As are our others. Defense was a priority, just not our first priority

• Haha

spitsfan24

Mar 18, 2017
Yet Suter and Burns are "rock solid" top 4 role?
In a word, yes. If Broadbent gets a bump due to real-life circumstances, why shouldn't Suter? Burns is a perfect stylistic partner for Suter, and vice versa. They each have the credentials and skills to be a "rock solid" second pair, especially under Trotz.
I dunno anything about that.

But he has won 6 Stanley Cups, the first rookie all-star dman in 20 years, two more immediate 1st team NHL all star selections, a Norris trophy and a plus-minus record to rival up and coming Bobby Orr.

Jacques Laperriere is an ATD top-3 role great. As are our others. Defense was a priority, just not our first priority
Hey, you're the one that brought up "ATD championship material". I was just showing you that you were wrong to say what you did.

Top-three is a much more apt description. And that's why Windsor's defense is better.

spitsfan24

Mar 18, 2017
Tuesday is Voting Day.

We are done here.
What?

We're done talking about our teams two days before voting day? Why?

Your 282nd pick Suter is the steal of the draft then?
Since Trotz was always the plan to coach in Windsor, I don't think it's unreasonable to say that Windsor gets the most value out of him in comparison to other ATD squads.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
It's after 10pm Sunday night here in South Korea where i work. I've minutes before bed and a long day tomorrow (gotta spend 3ish hours doing monthly personal reports for kindy and Grade 1 students.) Other than housekeeping duties, I will resurface on Wednesday. G'day!

Reactions: spitsfan24

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
I've been trying to get back into that ATD space over the past week but my head just hasn’t been in it. Have had some other stuff going on, plus busy with work. I see voting is open, so just wanted to say best of luck to @spitsfan24, the debating period was brief but fun. You may be inexperienced ATD-wise, but I think you opened some eyes this year. Good work. May the best team win.

spitsfan24

Mar 18, 2017
I've been trying to get back into that ATD space over the past week but my head just hasn’t been in it. Have had some other stuff going on, plus busy with work. I see voting is open, so just wanted to say best of luck to @spitsfan24, the debating period was brief but fun. You may be inexperienced ATD-wise, but I think you opened some eyes this year. Good work. May the best team win.
I appreciate the kind words. It means a lot coming from someone with your reputation around here.

Hope all is going well, and good luck to you as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad