Value of: JG Pageau at the deadline

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
He'd be an attractive piece on an expiring contract. Teams are always looking to add versatile two-way forwards at the deadline. But with 2 more years left at substantial salary beyond this, i don't know that you'll find much of a market.

One of those guys who is sort of held hostage by his remaining contract term. Decent player, but not the sort that anyone is going to want to commit to as a significant piece of their team for multiple years down the line right now. It's just too much of a burden on your potential cap flexibility.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Guy broke my heart. He used to be such a gamer and tenacious puck hound. Now all he can do is win faceoffs and play PK. His offense is non existent and it’s disappointing.

On a strong team looking for some depth and insurance on Pk and face offs he’s good to have plus he has playoff experience.

Don’t be expecting much offense.

He really hasnt been the same since hurting his wrist a couple years ago.

As an isles fan I’d give him away honestly. Give a younger guy a chance on the roster and get rid of his remaining cap would be worth it.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
At 50% retained, anywhere from a 3rd - 5th round pick depending on how the rest of his season goes.

His offensive ability has completely dried up. Still an adequate defensive player.

• Haha
Reactions: Unbiased Fan

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
^I'd throw a third NYI's way for Pageau at 50% retained. His faceoffs and PK role alone would be great depth, especially if we have an injury already.

Reactions: LeapOnOver

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
He hasn’t been the same since his wrist injury that he played through during the playoffs.

Of course there is a chance he would be revitalized on a new team, but the Islanders would either get back very minimal assets or have to pay to get rid of him (which they should do if they can).

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Tough one here.

so, he's a right hand shot center who has a great FO percentage, throw a TON of hits and has a good take-away to give-away ratio.
His career corsi rating isnt great at first glance but its actually not bad when you consider he has a high pecentage of his shifts starting in the defensive zone (60% of the time).
On top of all that he gives you 15 goals 40 points
Great.... so seems like a guy that 70% of playoffs teams would want to have.. take a 2nd and a good prospect or a tampa bay 1st

BUUUUT

he's north of 30 and has been atrocious offensively this year. 5 assists no goals.
If he was on pace for 40 points, you could easily slot him in as 3C who can do 2C duties if forced due to injury..... but age and offense going bye-bye is a scary combo.. is it the team/coach, or is it father time? so, i think teams would still gamble on him but more of a 4th line C role with hopes that he's better than that and the buyer is now STACKED down the middle. But what do you pay for that type of gamble? well, you no longer pay a 1st or 2nd.
I think, if at the deadline, if there is no bidding war (assuming there are a handful of middle and bottom six C's on the market), i think he would fetch you a 3rd (assuming his stats straight line pro-rate giong forward). Of course if his offense ignites etc then he's back at that higher cost as noted above)

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
The contract is just way too onerous for a contender to add Pageau at 3C. As is, he's a negative-value asset.

NYI would have to go max retention just to get a positive asset in return.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
He'd be an attractive piece on an expiring contract. Teams are always looking to add versatile two-way forwards at the deadline. But with 2 more years left at substantial salary beyond this, i don't know that you'll find much of a market.

One of those guys who is sort of held hostage by his remaining contract term. Decent player, but not the sort that anyone is going to want to commit to as a significant piece of their team for multiple years down the line right now. It's just too much of a burden on your potential cap flexibility.
He has 2 more yrs on contract after this one

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
At 50% retained, anywhere from a 3rd - 5th round pick depending on how the rest of his season goes.

His offensive ability has completely dried up. Still an adequate defensive player.

^I'd throw a third NYI's way for Pageau at 50% retained. His faceoffs and PK role alone would be great depth, especially if we have an injury already.

Problem with this is, how many teams/GMs/Owners are really keen to eat salary and tie up a valuable retention slot for 3 years, just to get a low percentage mid-round lottery ticket?

We've seen often teams seem more inclined to basically give the guy away at full salary for next to nothing...before retaining for a relatively low value asset. There'd likely be teams (in the offseason particularly) who could afford to take on his full contract as a gamble to add a decent bottom-9 Center with defensive acumen and solid RH faceoff prowess.

Teams just tend to prefer to save to retention slots to either: Upgrade a player's value from a decent return to a premium one. Move an absolute albatross somehow. Or act as a 3rd party "intermediary" in someone else's deal for a free asset on double retention at a small cash value on a short-term basis.

He has 2 more yrs on contract after this one

Yes. As i said, if you read. That basically kills his "value".

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Guy broke my heart. He used to be such a gamer and tenacious puck hound. Now all he can do is win faceoffs and play PK. His offense is non existent and it’s disappointing.

On a strong team looking for some depth and insurance on Pk and face offs he’s good to have plus he has playoff experience.

Don’t be expecting much offense.

He really hasnt been the same since hurting his wrist a couple years ago.

As an isles fan I’d give him away honestly. Give a younger guy a chance on the roster and get rid of his remaining cap would be worth it.
Not that simple sparky. To give him away you will need to either retain or add a significant sweetener or both.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
You have to ask yourself, what would he get on the open market this summer as a UFA?

Certainly, he'd get 2.5M x 2 or more. A veteran defensive matchup C who can PK and win faceoffs, but can't provide enough offense to be used up higher in the lineup is at least worth that.

He'd absolutely get a return at half retained either at the deadline or in the offseason. The early part of the offseason probably makes more sense than the trade deadline because teams have a lot more cap flexibility and willingness to move parts.

I don't think the Islanders would have to retain half. The cap is going up to 87.5M. Someone would probably take Pageau at 3M-3.5M x 2 years for late pick. Which would be win/win for both sides. The Islanders would tie up a retention spot for 2 years, but they would also free up 3M+ of cap. A buyout is going to be more expensive cap wise.

They also could just keep him. If he can still be a defensive C, they would still be getting value out of him, with the rest of his hit just being a sunk cost.

Reactions: The Real JT

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Jeez, has JGP really dropped that much? He was a premier 3C for awhile. What happened?

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Pageau isn't really supposed to be an offensive line driver. He's always been more of a 3rd liner who's good defensively, and can chip in at times as depth scoring, and can fill in on the 2nd line when needed. The line of A.Lee - JG.Pageau - O.Whalstrom have a combined 3 goals and 10 points in 45 games. Unless Pageau is basically killing that line, it should be more on the other two to create some offense.

5.000 was always a lot for him, and it just looks worse when his linemates aren't producing at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad