Speculation: Jets need of a top right defense

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Moot point, JT ain't coming here.
I'm not ready to trade JMo either. He's have problems but we have seen what kind of a D man he can be.
When he is on his game, he is a top pairing D man.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
there can be no deal w/o cap reality.

You currently show zero cap room, so unless there is a creative workaround [which may/may not exist] you presently have to deal w/a partner who has cap space to spare.

The exp dr is another factor.

At present it makes more sense to use Deangelo for exp dr exposure and if not taken buy him out super cheap [due to his age] then most trade scenarios incl where NY retains.

Bryan Little is LTIR
will that be permanent?
Can he be bought out while on LTIR, assuming there were a scenario where that made financial sense?

Does anything work where exchange of bad assets?
Rangers send Deangelo who has possible upside for production and will be motivated, vs he is presumed negative, vs his cheap buyout if desired and short term contract [mid 20s age, 4.8 x 2]
for
Little [age 33, LTIR 5.2+ x 4]
and Perfetti or other acceptable high asset to NY

just spitballin here, not a proposal on this one..
what the f***

Reactions: Pongs21 and Nedarb

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
I wouldn’t trade Perfetti. He is gonna be a good one.

My advice would be waiting until the off-season to throw some money at Dougie Hamilton if he’s an FA. If not, then yes, could probably explore finding one.
This is what I was thinking. Should be money freed up as Statsny is no longer needed.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
there can be no deal w/o cap reality.

You currently show zero cap room, so unless there is a creative workaround [which may/may not exist] you presently have to deal w/a partner who has cap space to spare.

The exp dr is another factor.

At present it makes more sense to use Deangelo for exp dr exposure and if not taken buy him out super cheap [due to his age] then most trade scenarios incl where NY retains.

Bryan Little is LTIR
will that be permanent?
Can he be bought out while on LTIR, assuming there were a scenario where that made financial sense?

Does anything work where exchange of bad assets?
Rangers send Deangelo who has possible upside for production and will be motivated, vs he is presumed negative, vs his cheap buyout if desired and short term contract [mid 20s age, 4.8 x 2]
for
Little [age 33, LTIR 5.2+ x 4]
and Perfetti or other acceptable high asset to NY

just spitballin here, not a proposal on this one..
The jets have currently 2.5 mil in cap room, Perrault and Statsny not needed next year is another 10.5 mil. I don’t think the cap is an issue

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Top right defenseman? Is Petry good enough?

Tell PLD to pack his bags. :popcorn:

I love these threads about "a need for top defenseman". Who in the NHL would not be in the market for a top defenseman for the right price? And who in the NHL will deal a top defenseman without getting a top forward back? Or empty the farm?

Reactions: Adam da bomb

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Top right defenseman? Is Petry good enough?

Tell PLD to pack his bags. :popcorn:

I love these threads about "a need for top defenseman". Who in the NHL would not be in the market for a top defenseman for the right price? And who in the NHL will deal a top defenseman without getting a top forward back? Or empty the farm?
Fair point, though the jets need for a top D man is higher than most

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
The jets have currently 2.5 mil in cap room, Perrault and Statsny not needed next year is another 10.5 mil. I don’t think the cap is an issue
Edited after, but they also get 1.75 from the Laine retention. Pionk, Lowry, and Copp all due for raises but Jets should have ~9 million of space when that's all settled.

Reactions: Dache

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
About 28m in cap space before re-signing RFAs and any upcoming UFAs they might want to re-sign...

Poolman, Stanley and Pionk should cost about 8m or so.
Backup goalie about 1.5m.
Lowry and Copper about 7.25m or so.
A re-signed MP about 1.25m.
That leaves about 10-11m to fill in the blanks...

Reactions: Dache

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Burns has a NMC. Doubt he’d move his family from SJ to Winnipeg. Also doubt WPG gives up perfetti for him in the decline years. Moving Perfetti for a younger RHD now makes some sense with PLD coming in though.

Reactions: Vachon23

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Burns has a NMC. Doubt he’d move his family from SJ to Winnipeg. Also doubt WPG gives up perfetti for him in the decline years. Moving Perfetti for a younger RHD now makes some sense with PLD coming in though.
I’d rather just move Perfetti to the wing spot opened by Laine but I get your point

Fishy

May 14, 2016
Winterpeg
Will just leave this here for your continued machinations: expansion draft

Last edited:

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Might be a good time to call Nashville. Ryan Ellis would be an excellent addition and could be available due to that contract.

If Larsson would talk extension would you guys move Lowry 1-1?

Reactions: Voodoo Glow Skulls

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Might be a good time to call Nashville. Ryan Ellis would be an excellent addition and could be available due to that contract.

If Larsson would talk extension would you guys move Lowry 1-1?
Ellis would be a great fit. Not sure I’m sold on Larsson, would really depend on the extension for me I guess

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
I appreciate that, when I looked CF said zero.
Big dif on what your practical options are.

It's because of the Little LTIR. To my admittedly limited understanding, they can exceed the cap by ~$5.2mil (Little's salary), which they haven't totally used

Also worth mentioning that you cannot "bank" LTIR space the way you can regular cap space, meaning they had ~$2.8mil to spend yesterday, today and a month from now

Again, that's my limited understanding of the situation. Believe Capfriendly has LTIR space listed somewhere as well

Reactions: bernmeister

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
If Sabers fade then you may be looking at the legendary Brandon Montour. The rhd available are not sexy.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
What would you offer for Ellis?
Not a fan of the length of his contract, I’d have to really think about that. I’d obviously prefer a free agent as you don’t have to give up assets but Winnipeg is rarely the first choice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad