OT: Jets Lounge: JC be lazy edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

StronGeer

Jan 25, 2013
Down by the bay
What a donkey of a lawyer that was. Terrible interviewer. Sounded like he didn't even read my resume. Not taking that job if he offers me either

D77ndQ.jpg

Nov 15, 2010
Western Canada
What a donkey of a lawyer that was. Terrible interviewer. Sounded like he didn't even read my resume. Not taking that job if he offers me either

9887327.jpg

Sorry I couldn't resist.

You'd rather be unemployed than getting your foot in the door?! It's none of my business so I won't comment any further but don't let others determine how you feel/act. Plus he could just be having a rough day.

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
Not at this place. He didn't like that I'd eventually have children and would have to take mat leave. I have superstore to cover me until I can get a job where that's not an issue

And I laughed and heard Ramsey in my head saying that

StronGeer

Jan 25, 2013
Down by the bay
OT... Anything that requires speed (such as shaders for renderers) are obviously compiled.

You said renders, not me:

6lyzlLa.jpg

This is a racecar I've been designing with a team of other engineering students. Been thinking about posting it all day, but now that I'm a few deep and you said the r word, here it is :P

It's a work in progress, as evidenced by stuff floating in mid air haha. But it's coming along.

/showoff

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Very cool, StronGeer! I'm a huge racing aficionado - used to race moto-x, and I still autocross and do Solo II track stuff. I'd kill to drive something like that. Is it for 'formula' style racing? Specs? Engine, etc?

Nice rendering as well. All the stuff I do is for TV and feature films - not quite so technical in nature, but I've done work as a lighting supervisor and matte painter, so I definitely appreciate the quality of that image.

StronGeer

Jan 25, 2013
Down by the bay
Very cool, StronGeer! I'm a huge racing aficionado - used to race moto-x, and I still autocross and do Solo II track stuff. I'd kill to drive something like that. Is it for 'formula' style racing? Specs? Engine, etc?

Nice rendering as well. All the stuff I do is for TV and feature films - not quite so technical in nature, but I've done work as a lighting supervisor and matte painter, so I definitely appreciate the quality of that image.

Nice! Racing is a sport very underrepresented in NA, especially compared to Europe.

So it's for something called the Formula SAE Collegiate Design Series. Basically it's a series of competitions held around the world between university/college students. There's a set of rules set by the governing body (SAE) everyone builds around, then take their cars to the competitions to race against each other. There's two events in the States, and then others around the world like Germany, UK, Spain, Australia, etc.

Yep, all the cars are open-wheeled formula style. This one is run on a WR450F out of a yamaha dirtbike. We're expecting between 45-50 hp out of the engine with custom intake/cam/high compression setup and a tuned exhaust. Some teams run 4-cylinder engines, but for us, we've determined that the extra 20-ish hp you can get out of it is not worth the extra weight. In a 350 lb car with a 180 lb driver, it makes for some... umm... exciting driving ;) As for specs, 0-60 mph is about 4 seconds. Top speed is 120 km/h. Maximum lateral acceleration is predicted at 2.4 g, if our drivers ever actually grow a big enough set of jewels to turn that hard.

As for the render, Solidworks makes it very easy, so long as your model is properly made :laugh: but thanks.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Not at this place. He didn't like that I'd eventually have children and would have to take mat leave. I have superstore to cover me until I can get a job where that's not an issue

And I laughed and heard Ramsey in my head saying that

Honestly just don't mention stuff like that.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Do not mention anything voluntarily that will hinder your candidacy. If you are applying for a publicly posted position you are going to be competing with several people at least. Your qualifications will most likely be very similar to others so hiring managers will eliminate people based on any negatively perceived trait.

Telling someone it's not relevant to the position or none of their business, even in a very polite manner? You might as well just get up, thank the interviewer for their time and walk out.

If they ask you about whether you want to have kids, even though it's a kind of tacky question, LIE! All you care about is your career!!

You aren't actively trying to have children right now, and you don't really know what the future holds, so why disqualify yourself for a 'might do'?

You need to go into the interview with a 100% positive attitude and a real excitement for the position. That will take you far.

Derfel*

I didn't. He asked if I had kids. I said no but said I plan on it and said it's not relevant to the job currently.

It totally sucks, but all the others are right - you volunteered info that you didn't need to. A simple "Nope, no kids!" would have sufficed.

Sad state that a woman can't be honest about future family plans in an interview, but there it is.

That being said - don't have kids. They are awful brats who really won't contribute anything to society except pollution and noise. :sarcasm:

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Unless you're working in a school, any question about kids should be answered with "I hate kids and never want to be around them.", to prove that you're all about your career.

If you're working in a school, it should be answered with "I hate kids and never want to be around them." to prove that you're experienced in the field.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Nice! Racing is a sport very underrepresented in NA, especially compared to Europe.

Yeah, it's just for fun, but what fun it is. It's my escapism - I enjoy driving cars and riding bikes, and racing them is even more fun.

So it's for something called the Formula SAE Collegiate Design Series. Basically it's a series of competitions held around the world between university/college students. There's a set of rules set by the governing body (SAE) everyone builds around, then take their cars to the competitions to race against each other. There's two events in the States, and then others around the world like Germany, UK, Spain, Australia, etc.

Yep, all the cars are open-wheeled formula style. This one is run on a WR450F out of a yamaha dirtbike. We're expecting between 45-50 hp out of the engine with custom intake/cam/high compression setup and a tuned exhaust. Some teams run 4-cylinder engines, but for us, we've determined that the extra 20-ish hp you can get out of it is not worth the extra weight. In a 350 lb car with a 180 lb driver, it makes for some... umm... exciting driving ;) As for specs, 0-60 mph is about 4 seconds. Top speed is 120 km/h. Maximum lateral acceleration is predicted at 2.4 g, if our drivers ever actually grow a big enough set of jewels to turn that hard.

We usually have a couple of SAE cars running in the auto-x's I attend - in the auto-x series I run in, my car is in their C-MOD classification (anything goes, as long as the car is street legal - superchargers, turbos, etc), and the SAE cars run in the D-OPEN class (home-built) so they can get some test and tune time in between races.

They're incredibly quick - I run a heavily modified Miata (225+ HP at the rear wheels custom turbo setup, with an aftermarket ECU I built to allow tuning from a laptop) that has had it's weight chopped down to under 2200lbs, and the SAE cars smoke me on timing. I usually place anywhere from 1-4th in my class (and usually overall, not counting the D class cars), but on a 60s course for my car, they'll run it in 45-50s, which is an eternity in terms of speed difference. The faster courses are closer, but tight courses are no contest - the SAE cars are incredibly quick, light, and pivot like there's no tomorrow.

Most of the ones that show up are running inline-4's - interesting notes about the weight differences vs. HP ratings. 2.4G - head snapping. :D I've pulled 1.2G with 'street legal' tires like the Kumho V710's - couldn't imagine pulling twice that! :amazed:

Here's a pic of the engine bay of my Miata - welded up the intercooler piping and downpipe myself, after putting together a turbo manifold and a Garret T25 (spools incredibly quickly).

1017375857_5627967522_z.jpg

Not much in there that's still stock, other than the engine and internals. ;) I've timed 0-60 at 4.8s - it's a fun little rollerskate. :D

As for the render, Solidworks makes it very easy, so long as your model is properly made :laugh: but thanks.

Still, pretty cool - does SolidWorks have its own renderer, or does it use a 3rd party renderer like V-Ray?

Here's an example of some of the type of work I do - this is an early look of picture test for an interior for a full CG movie:

interior_test.009.jpg

I tend to be a bit of a mad scientist: I'm equally comfortable writing C++ code or coding SQL queries, and painting full matte paintings for movies or doing lighting / lighting supervision. I could never figure out if if I wanted to be on the art or tech side, so I did both. ;)

Last edited:

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
Do not mention anything voluntarily that will hinder your candidacy. If you are applying for a publicly posted position you are going to be competing with several people at least. Your qualifications will most likely be very similar to others so hiring managers will eliminate people based on any negatively perceived trait.

Telling someone it's not relevant to the position or none of their business, even in a very polite manner? You might as well just get up, thank the interviewer for their time and walk out.

If they ask you about whether you want to have kids, even though it's a kind of tacky question, LIE! All you care about is your career!!

You aren't actively trying to have children right now, and you don't really know what the future holds, so why disqualify yourself for a 'might do'?

You need to go into the interview with a 100% positive attitude and a real excitement for the position. That will take you far.

I was taken aback by the kids question. First male lawyer I've had an interview with and none of the other firms I've interviewed with had asked this question (to be fair all of them were female lawyers). They actually asked questions about what I know and what I would do in certain situations. I didn't like him from the get go and know he wouldn't be a good fit at first introduction. Didn't shake my hand or anything. I plan on getting a seasonal job so if I don't get something right away it won't be that bad.

StronGeer

Jan 25, 2013
Down by the bay
Yeah, it's just for fun, but what fun it is. It's my escapism - I enjoy driving cars and riding bikes, and racing them is even more fun.

Absolutely, and it's much better to get it out on the track than trying to evade the fuzz ;)
We usually have a couple of SAE cars running in the auto-x's I attend - in the auto-x series I run in, my car is in their C-MOD classification (anything goes, as long as the car is street legal - superchargers, turbos, etc), and the SAE cars run in the D-OPEN class (home-built) so they can get some test and tune time in between races.

They're incredibly quick - I run a heavily modified Miata (225+ HP at the rear wheels custom turbo setup, with an aftermarket ECU I built to allow tuning from a laptop) that has had it's weight chopped down to under 2200lbs, and the SAE cars smoke me on timing. I usually place anywhere from 1-4th in my class (and usually overall, not counting the D class cars), but on a 60s course for my car, they'll run it in 45-50s, which is an eternity in terms of speed difference. The faster courses are closer, but tight courses are no contest - the SAE cars are incredibly quick, light, and pivot like there's no tomorrow.
Yep, they are definitely all about the "tight turns" as Beyak would say. Very much geared for acceleration too. The short wheelbase helps with the exceptionally tight corners as well.

No kidding, "heavily modified". 225 is a lot for such a tiny car. That's crazy that you made your own ECU. Do you make your own fuel maps and ignition timings?
Most of the ones that show up are running inline-4's - interesting notes about the weight differences vs. HP ratings. 2.4G - head snapping. :D I've pulled 1.2G with 'street legal' tires like the Kumho V710's - couldn't imagine pulling twice that! :amazed:
Yeah, about half the teams run a 4 cylinder, with the other half doing singles. The inlines are generally easier to tune, and they have the draw of being able to spout about the extra horsepower they make. Our team has a bit of a secret weapon which is a big matlab program which takes in approx 40 vehicle parameters and figures out how fast we can go around a track. When we put in the power curve for a 4 cylinder we had in the past, and add in the extra weight, it ends up being slower than when we simulate a single, so that's where that design decision comes from for us.

And yeah, the 2.4 is what the computer says we can pull. That's at top speed (max. downforce) with full cornering load. We've never actually hit that though, since we usually don't corner hard when going that fast for obvious reasons. We have a data logger on the car to measure all sorts of telemetry, and at our last competition we hit 2.0 IIRC.

Here's a pic of the engine bay of my Miata - welded up the intercooler piping and downpipe myself, after putting together a turbo manifold and a Garret T25 (spools incredibly quickly).

1017375857_5627967522_z.jpg

Not much in there that's still stock, other than the engine and internals. ;) I've timed 0-60 at 4.8s - it's a fun little rollerskate. :D
Damn that looks sharp. 4.8 is a pretty quick get up and go too. Definitely not what someone expects from a Miata :laugh:
Still, pretty cool - does SolidWorks have its own renderer, or does it use a 3rd party renderer like V-Ray?

Here's an example of some of the type of work I do - this is an early look of picture test for an interior for a full CG movie:

interior_test.009.jpg

I tend to be a bit of a mad scientist: I'm equally comfortable writing C++ code or coding SQL queries, and painting full matte paintings for movies or doing lighting / lighting supervision. I could never figure out if if I wanted to be on the art or tech side, so I did both. ;)

It uses Photoview 360 which is an external add-on.

And that looks awesome too. It's the little things that make such a difference in making it look real and adding character. Like the light bouncing off the dust in the hallway, and the moisture along the cracks in the floor.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
Don't know where else to put this but if you all want to view the absolute worst possible, most ridiculous thread ever... check out the hockey fights thread where some genius proposes the question as to what would happen if a prime Mike Tyson took on Milan Lucic in a hockey fight and to top it off he states that in this scenario Tyson could actually skate. Man I'm thinking probably Lucic in a coma is the most likely outcome :help:

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Tyson would wreck Lucic, or anyone for that matter if he could skate. In reality, he's as graceful on ice as a walrus is on land, so he'd spend too much time doing the hand crawl along the boards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad