Jets - General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation (Part XX)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Buff and Postma for Jurco, Ouellet, Kindl and a 2nd.

Would you guys be down for that return?

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Buff and Postma for Jurco, Ouellet, Kindl and a 2nd.

Would you guys be down for that return?

Do not want Kindl. If that was changed into something like Backman or Janmark I would probably take it.

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
It may be one of the only things I praise Snow for.....well that and some of the very good contracts he has convinced his players to sign (see Hamonic). Nabby was a better version of Pavs .913 .910 .905 in the last three seasons but this only became a "big" issue this past season when Nabby posted virtually the same numbers Pavs had In HIS BEST SEASON for the Jets just before we rewarded him with a fat contract. That is what drives me nuts......in what world doesn't a .906 season get you a huge contract :booboo::pullhair::baghead:

Snow is not a good GM which is why I find our situation doubly frustrating and that was the point I was originally trying to make.

Either way we have another off season here and maybe Chevy acts or maybe Snow doesn't get this deal done but for now I will give him an A for effort.

Ohh Chevy got taken to school on that contract. I don't expect GMs to be flawless in their contract signings but this one hurts a bit, especially now. I hope and think Chevy learned from it.

Anyways I hope that we have a plan in place for goaltending this summer. I just don't think a big name goalie ala Halak is in the cards. I'm of the belief that they will make a pitch for Reimer and run with him and Hutch next year.

I think the trick is finding a cheap option in net before we buyout pavs. I think Reimer and Hutch and a Pavs buyout would come to a similar amount to what we are currently paying for goaltending.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
If the Jets could acquire Reimer for cheap (and they should be able to), I wouldn't have any issue with a Reimer / Hutch tandem.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Ohh Chevy got taken to school on that contract. I don't expect GMs to be flawless in their contract signings but this one hurts a bit, especially now. I hope and think Chevy learned from it.

Anyways I hope that we have a plan in place for goaltending this summer. I just don't think a big name goalie ala Halak is in the cards. I'm of the belief that they will make a pitch for Reimer and run with him and Hutch next year.

I think the trick is finding a cheap option in net before we buyout pavs. I think Reimer and Hutch and a Pavs buyout would come to a similar amount to what we are currently paying for goaltending.

I would be in favor of this option.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
If the Jets could acquire Reimer for cheap (and they should be able to), I wouldn't have any issue with a Reimer / Hutch tandem.

A tandem like this should at least give us league average goaltending while we wait anxiously for one of our prospects to develop. Reimer likely could be had for a ridiculously low price.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Sometimes you should care about points... a bit... At least to show he's a good hockey player, and therefore has a more likely chance of being good on the next level.

chltable.png

^ Notes:
Most of the non-scorers scored pretty well in their other seasons, meaning it was less likely talent issue and more likely usage and / or on-ice sh%'s.
Scorers / non-scorer's line is at 0.6 pts/gp which was a somewhat arbitrarily assigned number based on averages
http://thats-offside.blogspot.ca/2013_06_01_archive.html

EDIT: That said, I don't think Reinhart busts... I just don't think he becomes as good as many think he will.

the Reinhart reservations coming from the Canadian press and out of town fans, sounds an awful lot like the JT reservations that came from the Canadian press and out of town fans before the 2009 draft ;)
All these 11th hour holes that the Canadian press and out of town fans are concerned with.

Isles are reportedly happy with Reinhart's development and think he will be a shutdown stud.They are not shopping him.NY press says they are basically penciling him into a roster spot for next season. based on Snow's recent comments about not trading top youngsters and what Freidman+Staple have written...Reinhart for Buff is not a trade the isles would make.
Isles were a lot higher on Cal De Haan then fans. Now CDH makes the nhl and in his first year is the isles best blueliner. I will trust in the nyi scouts.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
the Reinhart reservations coming from the Canadian press and out of town fans, sounds an awful lot like the JT reservations that came from the Canadian press and out of town fans before the 2009 draft ;)
All these 11th hour holes that the Canadian press and out of town fans are concerned with.

Isles are reportedly happy with Reinhart's development and think he will be a shutdown stud.They are not shopping him.NY press says they are basically penciling him into a roster spot for next season. based on Snow's recent comments about not trading top youngsters and what Freidman+Staple have written...Reinhart for Buff is not a trade the isles would make.
Isles were a lot higher on Cal De Haan then fans. Now CDH makes the nhl and in his first year is the isles best blueliner. I will trust in the nyi scouts.

Yeah...cuz John Tavares was never a scorer in junior. :laugh: Totally the same thing.

Rheged

JMFT
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
The buyout period ends before free agency begins, so that kind of limits you to a trade.

There was speculation, coming from outside their organisation, that the Leafs may not qualify Reimer here. If that were the case that would leave the Jets 5 days to court Reimer and decide whether to exercise their CBO on Pavelec.

Not really a scenario that I see as very likely from either teams point of view but the potential is certainly there.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
There was speculation, coming from outside their organisation, that the Leafs may not qualify Reimer here. If that were the case that would leave the Jets 5 days to court Reimer and decide whether to exercise their CBO on Pavelec.

Not really a scenario that I see as very likely from either teams point of view but the potential is certainly there.

Interesting. Agreed that it doesn't seem likely, but it would be funny if the Jets were able to sign Reimer for no assets considering trade "offers" this year had some Leaf fans wanting to use Reimer as part of a package to get Bogo.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Interesting. Agreed that it doesn't seem likely, but it would be funny if the Jets were able to sign Reimer for no assets considering trade "offers" this year had some Leaf fans wanting to use Reimer as part of a package to get Bogo.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

No kidding. I am sure I offended more than a few Leaf fans when I suggested that Reimer probably wasn't worth much since the Leafs probably couldn't keep him anyway. But it wasn't just Leaf fans, as I recall.

I guess we still need to wait and see what the Leafs do, but I'm pretty glad the Jets didn't give up anything substantial in a trade for Reimer.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Thye'd prolly get a few picks for him, but I agree actually. If i was toronto, I wouldn't qualify him either, considering that bernier is their guy going forward.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Thye'd prolly get a few picks for him, but I agree actually. If i was toronto, I wouldn't qualify him either, considering that bernier is their guy going forward.

A QO would put Reimer in the same price range as Vokoun, Harding, Bryz, Holtby, Elliott and Bishop and Lindback. He'd be behind Neuvirth and Ramo. Not insane money.

Of course I'd like to see him hit UFA.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
A QO would put Reimer in the same price range as Vokoun, Harding, Bryz, Holtby, Elliott and Bishop and Lindback. He'd be behind Neuvirth and Ramo. Not insane money.

I think it's a little murkier because Reimer has arbitration rights. $2 million is the minimum Reimer will be paid next season as a RFA, there's a chance he'll get more, why wouldn't he be worth the same as Ramo ($2.75 per)? Same numbers, Reimer has a longer track record, there's no way he'd lose in arbitration against comparables like Neuvirth and Ramo.

That, combined with the Leafs need to upgrade wide swaths of their roster and limited cap space, make Reimer being UFA relatively likely. I think they'll try to deal his rights at the draft for whatever they can get, but if they can't get anything they'll let him walk.

Rheged

JMFT
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg

The exec from the other team that suggested they don't qualify him probably feels the same way. :naughty:

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I think it's a little murkier because Reimer has arbitration rights. $2 million is the minimum Reimer will be paid next season as a RFA, there's a chance he'll get more, why wouldn't he be worth the same as Ramo ($2.75 per)? Same numbers, Reimer has a longer track record, there's no way he'd lose in arbitration against comparables like Neuvirth and Ramo.

That, combined with the Leafs need to upgrade wide swaths of their roster and limited cap space, make Reimer being UFA relatively likely. I think they'll try to deal his rights at the draft for whatever they can get, but if they can't get anything they'll let him walk.

There are plenty of other quality goalies making less. 2MMish is high for a backup, just not scary high.

Too bad he isn't going into arb after Pav's 3.9MM becomes backup cake.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
There are plenty of other quality goalies making less. 2MMish is high for a backup, just not scary high.

Too bad he isn't going into arb after Pav's 3.9MM becomes backup cake.

My feelings too - I really don't think trading for & then paying Reimer what he wants is the answer. Not convinced he's that much or even any better than what we have in Hutch right now & we'd be far better getting whoever has a decent record and is available for a lot less from FA (to replace P***)

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I'm really warming up to the idea of:

Grabbing Reimer either via trade, or FA (if Leafs don't qualify him, but I think they would)
Promoting Hutch
Buying out Pavelec

That should make us better short term and long term. Both guys are young, and allows Hellybuck some playing time and development in the AHL. No need to rush him.

StronGeer

Jan 25, 2013
Down by the bay

Grabbing Reimer either via trade, or FA (if Leafs don't qualify him, but I think they would)
Promoting Hutch
Buying out Pavelec

That should make us better short term and long term. Both guys are young, and allows Hellybuck some playing time and development in the AHL. No need to rush him.

I agree wholeheartedly. Doesn't even have to be Reimer, just someone with NHL experience who isn't named Ondrej.

Good point about HockeyGoalie too. If he's sitting on the bench for 70% of the games next year that's no good. We need to get Hutch in the big league to get out of his way.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com

Promoting Hutch
Buying out Pavelec

I like that idea too, but suspect:

Pav will remain a Jet
Pav will be the starter next year
Pav will struggle
Pav will remain the starter through the 30 game mark
Pav will finally yield a few games to Hutch

**This Point Will Be Crutial**

1) If Hutch plays well he takes the job
2) If Hutch struggles even a little bit he will give the job back to Pav

If #2 is true - No playoffs

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno

he's as good as gone. 5th rnd pick should get him.

also, with Carlyle's extension (hahaa!) and Nonis's comments about changes coming, i'm hoping we can dump Buff on the Leafs for Gardiner and a minor league piece (not that the leafs have much) and/or 1st round pick.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
I really think that Reimer is our best option going forward, it just depends on whether Chevy and Co. feel the same way about him. As far as I'm concerned the guy has more then proven himself as a starter in the league. posted great numbers during that short season, and was unstoppable until he became injured. His time is right now to be a starting goaltender, and I'm pretty sure he's not going to settle with playing second fiddle to every other goalie that Toronto decides to march into town.

If i was Reimer, I'd be actively seeking a trade. Like asking for one, telling them that I wouldn't sign again...and honestly who can blame him? He carried that team into the playoffs and to a seven game series with Boston...yet they trade for Bernier because that wasn't good enough? what a joke. He'd be a fit here, and with some hot handed tending we'd be in the post season...probably not anymore...but we would have been.

IMO, Reimer has probably played his last game as a leaf. He's starting in the worlds against france and is apparently estatic because of the possibility of GM's and team owners watching him. This is a good chance to look attractive to other markets.

Is he coming here? I don't know, but I hope so. I would just be shocked if he started the season next year as a leaf.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
My feelings too - I really don't think trading for & then paying Reimer what he wants is the answer. Not convinced he's that much or even any better than what we have in Hutch right now & we'd be far better getting whoever has a decent record and is available for a lot less from FA (to replace P***)

I wasn't suggesting they avoid Reimer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad