Post-Game Talk: Jets fall 2-0 to Hawks - Kane'd

Kamo

Jul 10, 2011
I'd like to see how Ehlers would do as the winger for Little and Wheeler. I've seen other good teams "shelter" their rookies by playing them with two veterans quality players. The first examples comes to mind is Brandon Saad, playing with Toews and Hossa. Now I'm not saying Little is Toews and Wheeler is Hossa but Ladd's season has been extremely disappointing and this team needs a change.

Other than that, bench Stuart ffs....

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
The team that put us not towards the playoffs, but in the playoffs was the team that went 12 -6 - 1 down the stretch.

And if you really want to look at last year's Jets vs this year before the trade and trade deadline, you will see that this year's team is quite a bit behind last year's pace. It's significant.

This was exactly my point ;)

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Playing Ladd 6 minutes on the PP last night, and Scheifele 3 minutes just smacks of stupidity and favouritism. I have a sense that Maurice and the coaching staff are too focused on stroking the egos of the "leaders" like Ladd and Stuart. There is no other good explanation for why both of them get so much ice-time at the expense of team performance.

I'm wondering if their is even a commitment to winning, don't know if it's coming from the head coach or if the head coach is following management's orders on another throw away season.

Some of the decisions Mo has made this season are just plain loopy although Carolina fans warned us that the knock on Mo was an over reliance on under performing veterans and not giving young players a chance.

The whole penalty thing is entirely on the head coach, still can't believe he has let it go this long and what the frick he is thinking allowing guys to get away with it, some guy every friggin game (Stuart)!

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
I used to say that Pavelec was Chevy's only real tangible mistake. Signing Stuart was just as big of a mistake, if not worse.

Ehlers was on the ice in the last few minutes last night. I think coach is realizing that he needs to be in the top 6. Something I've been saying for a month now. Oh, I also said that Hellebuyck should play as much as possible because he's our best goaltender. How come I am right and a guy who has coached 1000+ games is just catching on? ffs

I still think you sign Byfuglien long term and trade Ladd for a 1st and prospect. Make Wheeler the Captain and 55 gets an A. Look forward to next year with Helle owning the net and hopefully a few more prospects graduating. Sucks because I thought they would be a good team this year, but still too much deadweight and lack of discipline. At least the goaltender argument is being settled, that's huge.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I'd like to see how Ehlers would do as the winger for Little and Wheeler. I've seen other good teams "shelter" their rookies by playing them with two veterans quality players. The first examples comes to mind is Brandon Saad, playing with Toews and Hossa. Now I'm not saying Little is Toews and Wheeler is Hossa but Ladd's season has been extremely disappointing and this team needs a change.

Other than that, bench Stuart ffs....

I'd like to see Ehlers get a shot like that. After 30 games he has shown a willingness to focus on defense, but playing on the top line will stretch that. If you cherry picked the matchup you wanted with last change at home it would be fun to watch.

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
Ehlers has always used speed through the neutral zone to back of defenders and gain the offensive zone, to slow up and then set up a play. That was a big part of his game in junior, too. P. Kane and other good offensive players use that a lot. What I've noticed is that Burmi and Thorbs are always lagging way to far so when Ehlers gains the zone and has a bit of time to make a play there's nobody with him. I think this is partly because Burmi plays very deep in the defensive zone, and Thorbs is just not quick enough or smart enough to create options for Ehlers. When Ehlers played with Scheif and other fast players like Perreault, he had a lot of options when he created a bit of time and space in the offensive zone. To me, it's a real mismatch in styles and talent level. Other teams just isolate Ehlers because Burmi and Thorbs aren't good at supporting him offensively.

Agree with this observation totally. With the linemates given (Thorb`s making no valuable contribution whatsoever}, the key to success/failure will however IMO rest with Burmi for the most part!!! Burmi must find a way to successfully complete his defensive assignments under Coach`s system(playing deep in the defensive zone) and then quickly get up ice with Ehler`s . Once in the offensive zone, they can continue the attack. IMO however, Burmi must carry the burden to maintain possession and to `set up`most attacks, with Ehler`s serving as the `finisher`.

This is expecting a tremendous amount from Burmi and is probably an unrealistic expectation. Too bad Ehler`s does not now, and will not for some considerable period of time, have opportunity to play beside a high possession playmaking center to help with his maturation and adjustment to the NHL.

And finally, I think Ehler`s is playing slower and more deliberately because he is totally focussed on thinking of his `defensive first` responsibilities. He is a quick study and has taken Coach`s comments to heart.

Randal61

Jan 12, 2014
I used to say that Pavelec was Chevy's only real tangible mistake. Signing Stuart was just as big of a mistake, if not worse.

Ehlers was on the ice in the last few minutes last night. I think coach is realizing that he needs to be in the top 6. Something I've been saying for a month now. Oh, I also said that Hellebuyck should play as much as possible because he's our best goaltender. How come I am right and a guy who has coached 1000+ games is just catching on? ffs

I still think you sign Byfuglien long term and trade Ladd for a 1st and prospect. Make Wheeler the Captain and 55 gets an A. Look forward to next year with Helle owning the net and hopefully a few more prospects graduating. Sucks because I thought they would be a good team this year, but still too much deadweight and lack of discipline. At least the goaltender argument is being settled, that's huge.

Ok coach good god

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Like i said Ehler's is being Petan'ed expecting a young super skilled forward to put points up on the board playing with not offensively gifted line mates will not do them good.

Top point rookie scorer this year are playing minutes with very good players.

I kinda feel sorry for these two, but Ehler's still doing good considering. He is not a liability.

I wish Petan can get a Johhny Hockey like production, ice time and line mates.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Like i said Ehler's is being Petan'ed expecting a young super skilled forward to put points up on the board playing with not offensively gifted line mates will not do them good.

I kinda feel sorry for these two, but Ehler's still doing good considering. He is not a liability.

Johnny hockey didn't start his rookie season on the first line.

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca

Same. Good chance Petan turns into nothing because of the way they'll handle him. Possibly Ehlers as well, though he may just be too good to be stopped. Max Domi, first line Arizona. Ehlers is more talented than Domi. Ehlers gets Thorburn on his line. You're pretty much playing with two forwards with Thorburn on your line. An absolute embarrassment to the Jets organization to have Thorburn anywhere but the fourth line.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Johnny hockey didn't start his rookie season on the first line.

Didn't , shouldn't it's was not the point. Nobody start the season on a first line as a rookie. Unless you have a really crappy team. Mc David didn't either

You drop Ehler's for not scoring after 10 games. I understand winning is important but are the Jets winning?

It would be nice to put one of them with Little and Wheeler or Ladd
LLW are a usually a beast together but Wheeler can carry a line.

Point is, Petan wasn't given a fair chance. not with 6-8 minutes a game. I understand first few games he was getting about 10 minutes, but was he suppose to tear up the scoring just like that playing with Copp and Thorburn? Is Peluso really an upgrade to Petan?

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Didn't , shouldn't it's was not the point. Nobody start the season on a first line as a rookie. Unless you have a really crappy team. Mc David didn't either

You drop Ehler's for not scoring after 10 games. I understand winning is important but are the Jets winning?

It would be nice to put one of them with Little and Wheeler or Ladd
LLW are a usually a beast together but Wheeler can carry a line.

Point is, Petan wasn't given a fair chance. not with 6-8 minutes a game. I understand first few games he was getting about 10 minutes, but was he suppose to tear up the scoring just like that playing with Copp and Thorburn? Is Peluso really an upgrade to Petan?

Nothing in Petan's play suggested he should move up the lineup. I agree he needed to pkay. It was a mistake for him to start in the NHL

Georgetown Al*

Georgetown Al
Oct 6, 2015
Playing Ladd 6 minutes on the PP last night, and Scheifele 3 minutes just smacks of stupidity and favouritism. I have a sense that Maurice and the coaching staff are too focused on stroking the egos of the "leaders" like Ladd and Stuart. There is no other good explanation for why both of them get so much ice-time at the expense of team performance.

:nod::handclap::nod::handclap::nod::handclap::nod::handclap::nod::handclap::nod: Winner of one spot on Top Ten Best Quotes this year :nod::handclap::nod::handclap::nod::handclap::nod::handclap::nod::handclap::nod:

Maurice and the coaching staff are too focused on stroking the egos of the "leaders" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is no other good explanation for why both of them get so much ice-time at the expense of team performance

Last edited:

peg

Jul 8, 2010
Glass half full. We are 4-1 with Bucky in net with a .938 GAA. Much like last year goaltending like that can get us into the playoffs.

Derfel*

What is it with this schedule? Pack it full of games in back-to-backs, and then we don't get another game until Tuesday night? Come on.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
What is it with this schedule? Pack it full of games in back-to-backs, and then we don't get another game until Tuesday night? Come on.

The Jets have had a totally screwed up schedule so far. You can tell that Maurice is biting his tongue, but doesn't think it's very equitable. Even some of the Jets home games are like road trips.

Kamo

Jul 10, 2011
The Jets have had a totally screwed up schedule so far. You can tell that Maurice is biting his tongue, but doesn't think it's very equitable. Even some of the Jets home games are like road trips.

Another thing I wouldn't mind is Maurice publicly ripping into the refs after a game. Yeh it could give some players an excuse for their stupid penalties. Honestly though, how many more penalties can we take? Who knows it might help. :sarcasm:

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
Another thing I wouldn't mind is Maurice publicly ripping into the refs after a game. Yeh it could give some players an excuse for their stupid penalties. Honestly though, how many more penalties can we take? Who knows it might help. :sarcasm:

Agree. It could be cathartic for this group.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad