News Article: Jets exploring trade market for Wheeler

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
In some instances it would be nice if the team showed a little persistence.

Maybe a great sales pitch gets the player to reconsider. That’s not far off from what Gaudreau said regarding Columbus as they were not a team on his radar at all, but they won him over.

You get Ehlers and the coach to call him then maybe he waives that clause to come here. If not then you can at least say you really tried to get the deal done.
We got his former teammate, and supposed friend too... Pierre luc dubois! Master recruiter :naughty:

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Helle wasn't bad 2 years ago. He wasn't bad last year either. But he was just ordinary in both years.

I'm sure our defensive game will be better, but our D corps is still weak. I don't expect any BIG improvement. Copp and Stastny are still gone. We are light a couple of forwards. I don't mean we need a couple of better ones to improve our bottom 6. I mean we are lacking a couple of warm bodies. When Appleton and Gustafsson are signed we will still have only 11. It looks like all of the good, cheap F will be gone before Chevy signs any. We will take the leftovers.

Stastny may retire if he doesn't get an offer he likes from a team he likes. I don't think he likes us anymore.
From a management perspective I think the Jets are replacing Stastny with Perfetti in the top 6, and that's a risk, but there could be a higher reward in doing so. I don't see any way Stastny re-signs to play in the bottom 6. On a team that he doesn't think has what it takes. If his pal Wheeler is one foot out the door, then that all but cements it.

The free agent crop isn't exactly overwhelming, you aren't going to see the overpays of years past that Ladd, Lucic, etc got, what's left is mostly guys that are 3rd/4th line options, and their agents won't get clearer numbers until the big name of Kadri falls, and some trades are left to be done (I'm thinking specifically Kane). What I'd be concerned about is Stastny signing with Nashville, who has some Cap space and need for a top 6 forward. I think that would clearly put the Jets behind Colorado, St. Louis and Nashville to start the season, battling with Minny and Dallas for the 4 spot. I could see Stats signing in hometown St. Louis for a discount too.

I think you can improve a team by getting younger, but it's usually a surprise, and the result of good coaching.

Reactions: rkp

Imcanadianeh

Nov 1, 2015
In some instances it would be nice if the team showed a little persistence.

Maybe a great sales pitch gets the player to reconsider. That’s not far off from what Gaudreau said regarding Columbus as they were not a team on his radar at all, but they won him over.

You get Ehlers and the coach to call him then maybe he waives that clause to come here. If not then you can at least say you really tried to get the deal done.
"I wanted to come here. This was always a place circled on my list,"

According to Gaudreau he wanted to go to Columbus and was happy when they called last minute and offered him a contract.

Reactions: jetsforever

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Whenever you're feeling gloomy about Wheeler's contract, just remember Dallas paid Seguin 13MM for 49 points last year and will do it again. Not to mention Darnell Nurse.
Seguin and Nurse aren't our problems. Wheeler is. Thanks for the pep talk attempt, but I'll stick with...

PolishedEnchantedBeardeddragon-size_restricted.gif

:nod:

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Whenever you're feeling gloomy about Wheeler's contract, just remember Dallas paid Seguin 13MM for 49 points last year and will do it again. Not to mention Darnell Nurse.
I think most people knew that the back half of that contract wasn't going to age well, but it was a win now situation. I am not sure the emphasis should be as much on win now going into this season as development, and having a coach who is patient with young player mistakes. Building up confidence within the team is fundamental, and Maurice was no longer able to handle that responsibility, and I don't think Wheeler was either. I hope that Wheeler gets a chance to play for Maurice again, because those two battled for one another. I'm ready for a fresh start.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Like @Jet pointed out, we have ONE shitty contract to deal with... take a look at other teams. And as long as wheeler puts up points on the PP, it's not even that shitty

I like how chevy has positioned us cap-wise. We may even be able to use the room we have to puck up a useful asset. There are more than a few teams looking to move money out before the season starts

Reactions: Jet

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

HF posters and deflection. Name a better duo.

Even with Dallas two v terrible contracts, they have been a better regular season, and more PO success than the Jets over the past few years. Ditto for the Oilers.

Speaks to how much our team has fumbled the bag.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Add Benn to Dallas as well. I think every team has atleast one bad contract. We could do worth then Wheeler's.

The contract is not the main reason to trade Wheeler.
It is about the captaincy. Despite doing some things well, he appears to have failed in that role. I don't see him giving up the C with a good attitude. So the way to make that change is with a trade.

That is when his contract comes up. The size of the contract gets in the way of a trade. Jets have to retain or else take back a lot of cap in the return, or some of each.

My assumption was that the right value would have been a late 1st, before the draft. Therefore retention was necessary. With the draft over, taking back a large cap hit becomes necessary. I think that makes it harder for us to get any value in return. Nobody wants to give up 2023 1st rd draft picks.

If Chevy is serious about not retaining any cap hit, I think he is not really serious about moving Wheeler and Blake probably retains the C. We will have to wait and see how that works out.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
If Wheeler stays . And is put on the third line and gets 60 points and uplifts his line mates points as well I won’t be to worried about what he brings.

Put him with lowry and a acquisition. Gives us a shut down third that can score.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
KC PLD Apples
Lowry Scheif Ehlers
Gus Perfetti Wheeler
Barron Hark Toni

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
KC PLD Apples
Lowry Scheif Ehlers
Gus Perfetti Wheeler
Barron Hark Toni
I like the 1st line... but Perfetti will be RW on that line

KS PLD Perfetti
Ehlers Scheif Apples
Harkins Lowry Wheeler
Barron Gus Nikkanen
Toni

Chevy needs to sign 1-2 more forwards... there's no depth on this team left

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

KS PLD Perfetti
Ehlers Scheif Apples
Harkins Lowry Wheeler
Barron Gus Nikkanen
Toni

How many goals is that bottom 6 scoring

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

KS PLD Perfetti
Ehlers Scheif Apples
Harkins Lowry Wheeler
Barron Gus Nikkanen
Toni

Yes - but I think Wheeler will be in the top 6.

Perfetti - Scheifele - Ehlers
KFC - PLD - Wheeler
Harkins - Lowry - Appleton
Barron - Gus - Toninato
???

Reactions: Total Cure

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

KS PLD Perfetti
Ehlers Scheif Apples
Harkins Lowry Wheeler
Barron Gus Nikkanen
Toni

Everyone is discounting Reichel. He's got a decent chance, he played last year with Gustafsson, on the #1 PK in the A at the time. He's not afraid to block shots, as his season ending injury showed, and he's probably the best skater of all the prospects. I think if you switch Wheeler and Appleton that's a more realistic look, and Appleton has some chemistry going back to the A with Harkins, and the 2015 line. I think Barron gets a look on the checking line if no one else is brought in, but I suspect there will be. Harkins and Reichel on the flanks could be among the elite skating 4th line wingers. I don't have a sense for which way the coaches are looking at their roster, how they want to balance heavy and fast. Guys like Maenalanen, Torgersson, and Stenlund are all 6 feet 210 lbs, so they can add a more physical element.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Everyone is discounting Reichel. He's got a decent chance, he played last year with Gustafsson, on the #1 PK in the A at the time. He's not afraid to block shots, as his season ending injury showed, and he's probably the best skater of all the prospects. I think if you switch Wheeler and Appleton that's a more realistic look, and Appleton has some chemistry going back to the A with Harkins, and the 2015 line. I think Barron gets a look on the checking line if no one else is brought in, but I suspect there will be. Harkins and Reichel on the flanks could be among the elite skating 4th line wingers. I don't have a sense for which way the coaches are looking at their roster, how they want to balance heavy and fast. Guys like Maenalanen, Torgersson, and Stenlund are all 6 feet 210 lbs, so they can add a more physical element.

I think we have adequate 4th liners in house. It remains to be seen if we can build a decent 3rd line from the material at hand.

PitbulI

Dec 22, 2010
There's no way KC is on anything but the top line. He's the only Jet that is safe on the first line. Ehlers is up there too. PLD/Shief will battle it out for top line center. How Wheeler shows up at camp decides if it's him or Ehlers on top line.

At least that's what will happen if the new coaches have any say.

Jack7222

Mar 17, 2021
There's no way KC is on anything but the top line. He's the only Jet that is safe on the first line. Ehlers is up there too. PLD/Shief will battle it out for top line center. How Wheeler shows up at camp decides if it's him or Ehlers on top line.

At least that's what will happen if the new coaches have any say.

You said yourself we don't even know which line is our top line.

I'm still hoping to see Perfetti with Schief and Ehlers, and Connor Dubois with Wheeler. I think CDW was a bit snakebit last year.

And, Ehlers on PP1 please.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I wonder if a 3 way trade is the only way to move Wheeler. I think it's possible to get Jonathan Toews to play a season here, and the Jets can afford his full Cap Hit if they move Wheeler, but there isn't a snowball's chance in hell that Wheeler is agreeing to go to Chicago.

You know Wheeler would jump at the chance to play for Maurice again, but the biggest obstacle for Florida is Cap space. If they want to dump Hornqvist he has a NTC, and I doubt he'd waive it to come to Winnipeg to get bought out at 67% of his salary over 2 years. That's quite the pay cut, that can be avoided by just saying no.

But now I wonder if the Hawks are in full tank mode for Bedard, and finally cleaning out every single element that links them to Kyle Beach. Would Hornqvist agree to spend a year there, get paid to go on injured reserve sporatically? I'd say that's possible. It's also possible that Chicago is not on his no trade list.

What if the Jets traded Wheeler to the Hawks, who in turn eat 50% of his salary for 2 years. Maybe that takes a 2nd round pick out of us, which we don't have, but could acquire, or a prospect.

To get Wheeler at 50%, Panthers could give up Hornqvist and a 2nd, and a prospect to the Hawks. And they have some breathing room Cap wise.

Maybe add a part here and there, but is that a potential way to go for the Jets? I'd say the Hawks need to at least get what they feel is market value out of Toews in the deal.

If the team bombs, well Johnny Toews will still have trade value, but I feel like beyond Maurice a leadership change could change the whole dynamic of this team. We need to improve on the PK, and that's definitely an area Toews would address.

Replacing Wheeler on PP1 would be an opportunity for Ehlers or Perfetti that would have seemed impossible under the old regime.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad