Jets end of 2023-24 season media availability

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
And like the true team player that he is, Helly says he was playing the best hockey of his career (sic) and thought he played great against the Av's......guy has no shame!
Agreed, you want your goalie to have confidence but he can also say i need to be better especially when you gave up a record amount of goals in 5 playoff games.

jetsfan15

Jul 17, 2016
My gut tells me Ehlers is gone.

As much as I like him, I think so too. I also think that the trade will involve a D coming back. And then it opens the door potentially for someone like Lambert on an ELC to join the team. It also frees up cap space to sign the Monahan/DeMelo/Dillon trio that I think Chevy really wants to keep. I also think mcgroarty (and/or another prospect) in 2025-26 has a chance to play and there will need to be a spot… ehlers w/ a year left is likely the piece that will be moved.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I didn't want Tof or Mono but I'd extend Mono if he agreed to a 4 year deal for around 5m a year.
I'd trade Ehlers but not for draft picks. I'd add to him for a better forward or a quality RHD.
I'd also look at moving Pionk if we got a good RHD. I think Buffalo would be a good trading partner for Pionk.
I don't want to see Schmidt on the team next year.
If Dillon extends, where does that leave Ville/Stanley?
What about Miller? Do we offer him 1.5m-1.75m for a season? I would.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
The way it was phrased by Friedman indicated he wasn't happy with it. Take it up with Elliot if you'd like.
There's nothing to take up - I haven't heard Chevy say a word about being upset with Bones - and I don't believe everything I hear from a hockey reporter.
They'll say or print anything to get your attention - now if any of that was actually backed up by a statement from Chevy . . . .

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
There's nothing to take up - I haven't heard Chevy say a word about being upset with Bones - and I don't believe everything I hear from a hockey reporter.
They'll say or print anything to get your attention - now if any of that was actually backed up by a statement from Chevy . . . .

That's fine. The point was I wasn't pulling it out of my ass to further my narrative. It was said by an insider that has been following the Perfetti ice time saga all year.

Your free to believe it or not.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
That's fine. The point was I wasn't pulling it out of my ass to further my narrative. It was said by an insider that has been following the Perfetti ice time saga all year.

Your free to believe it or not.
No, you didn't pull it out of your ass - you just spread the rumors that support your take on things as if they are fact.
No, I don't believe it - Perfetti likely lost his spot because he lost his game - and was replaced by a deadline deal that was likely done because he lost his game (by Chevy - the guy that is mad at Bones for playing Perfetti) -
This stuff writes itself . . .

Ggg99

Sep 17, 2018
- but we basically need a coach that will play the style Scheif wants - because he doesn't listen to coaches
C866343D-F922-4297-97AE-4002C7F5A965.gif

MarkWheeler

Dec 16, 2018
Chevy has been here a long time i agree but he put together a 110 point team that finished 4th overall in the NHL. To me this playoffs showed we need better coaching and if Chevy makes that change i am ok with giving Chevy another year.
And another, and another, and another. Every year there’s an excuse for Chevy and we’re stuck with another year of mediocrity.

Reactions: hn777 and Ggg99

jiho

Apr 30, 2012
Chevy has been here a long time i agree but he put together a 110 point team that finished 4th overall in the NHL. To me this playoffs showed we need better coaching and if Chevy makes that change i am ok with giving Chevy another year.

Chevy does not like to make tough decisions....unless he quits Bowness will be back

Reactions: hn777

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
It never ceases to amaze me that even after what 8-9 years now, that people are still upset/surprised by Helle's press-conferences after game/games where he gives up a lot of goals. I could have told you last night what he was gonna say.

These comments are not for fans or for media they are for himself and his coping mechanism to keep his confidence up. He's been doing that since college and yet everytime this happens some people are upset. If it helps him be an elite goalie more power to him.

I still remember his funniest one post losing to the Flames in the play-in round during the Covid season I think where he said that he liked the Jets team and they are close to being a dynasty! :laugh:

Last edited:

Andy6

Court Jetster
Jun 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
As much as I like him, I think so too. I also think that the trade will involve a D coming back. And then it opens the door potentially for someone like Lambert on an ELC to join the team. It also frees up cap space to sign the Monahan/DeMelo/Dillon trio that I think Chevy really wants to keep. I also think mcgroarty (and/or another prospect) in 2025-26 has a chance to play and there will need to be a spot… ehlers w/ a year left is likely the piece that will be moved.
It makes complete sense, for him, for the team for everyone. If they can get the D for him. He's fantastically talented and a super guy, but in some ways he's like an elite Burmistrov and maybe just a little too hard to fit into a team that needs to be all on one page. I'd like to see him get his minutes somewhere that really needs him.

Reactions: hn777

Dale53130

Nov 10, 2019
The part that I find the most disappointing this year, was that the Jets roster is made up of guys in/around their prime, who should all be in a win-now-mode. They have so many veterans. The clock is ticking.

I liked what they were doing in the regular season, but the Jets have too many tells, that make it easy for the opposition to gameplan for once you get to a best of 7 scenario. Way too easy. Montreal, Vegas, and now Colorado knew exactly what to pinpoint. If Edmonton weren't so disfunctional at the time, they'd have known too. Whichever Dallas player called the Jets frauds, likely also knows about these leaks (as do his teammates). And I suspect, Rick Bowness, also coming in from Dallas, also knew about this and can't fix it.

The only defenders I was impressed with, were Morrissey and DeMelo (to a lesser degree). You can't give Colorado, that many opportunities to screen. The 2nd line never got going, by being a cinch to shut-down from the get-go (steering the Jets players where they wanted them to go), just made it easy to bottleneck lines #1 and #3 over the course of the series. It was like having your opponents knee on your neck the whole time. Colorado looked like giants out there, and they're no bigger than the Jets are! They didn't even have to wait for the Jets mistakes, they were attacking their weaknesses. Repeatedly.

There are a few guys they need to get rid of, and I don't mind being a little more open-minded about incorporating at least a couple of the younger players. They have more than enough veterans on the team at the moment, to help insulate them and expedite their growth.

I think people are underestimating Arniel. "IF" Bowness was coaching via proxy (at the beginning of the year), why did he instantly change up the line-ups the moment he came back? What was that about? They were playing very good hockey at the time, and didn't need a shake-up. And if he didn't want his players to get too comfortable, why was he settling on not wanting to shake-up the roster for the playoffs? Weird strategy...

Last edited:

abax44

Jan 22, 2005
He was saying he needs a better defence in front of him to help him see shots and that he is still a good goalie despite bein average in the playoffs. Trade hi mand keep Brosoit. Use the extra funds for a couple good dmen!
82 games of Brosoit and who knows if we even make the playoffs.

Aries56

Jan 10, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
It's nice hearing guys say they want to come back. DeMelo and Dillon definitely wanting to come back. Monahan sounds like he wants to come back.

I'm a big fan of Dillon and DeMelo, would be great to have them back. I think we missed Dillon in those last two games. You can say we have top 4 replacements in Samberg / Stanley / Heinola, but potential is just that, there's no guarantee they become a better player than what we have in Dillon.

Monahan fills a need we have and don't have an immediate replacement for.

I think we're at a point where we need to optimise the roster and focus on asset management. Move quantity for quality.

Stanley, Schmidt, Iafallo are taking up cap space that's more valuable than what they add in their limited roles. For the record, I like Iafallo, I'd plant him on the third line to help generate some offense and still be good defensively, if we didn't re-sign Nino.

Second wave of replacements would be Pionk and Ehlers.
Pionk's play seems to be declining each year, but we need a top 4 replacement ready to step in. Need to upgrade to someone bigger, and harder to play against or a better puck mover.
Ehlers, probably not re-signing and a frustrating player to watch with his turnovers and inconsistent play. Start the youth transition, try Chibi / Lambo in that spot. Barlow will be looking for a shot in a couple years too.

Let's use the cap for exceptional players, stop spending on quantity and let's open up some opportunity for young guys.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The part that I find the most disappointing this year, was that the Jets roster is made up of guys in/around their prime, who should all be in a win-now-mode. They have so many veterans. The clock is ticking.

I liked what they were doing in the regular season, but the Jets have too many tells, that make it easy for the opposition to gameplan for once you get to a best of 7 scenario. Way too easy. Montreal, Vegas, and now Colorado knew exactly what to pinpoint. If Edmonton weren't so disfunctional at the time, they'd have known too. Whichever Dallas player called the Jets frauds, likely also knows about these leaks (as do his teammates). And I suspect, Rick Bowness, also coming in from Dallas, also knew about this and can't fix it.

The only defenders I was impressed with, were Morrissey and DeMelo (to a lesser degree). You can't give Colorado, that many opportunities to screen. The 2nd line never got going, by being a cinch to shut-down from the get-go (steering the Jets players where they wanted them to go), just made it easy to bottleneck lines #1 and #3 over the course of the series. It was like having your opponents knee on your neck the whole time. Colorado looked like giants out there, and they're no bigger than the Jets are! They didn't even have to wait for the Jets mistakes, they were attacking their weaknesses. Repeatedly.

There are a few guys they need to get rid of, and I don't mind being a little more open-minded about incorporating at least a couple of the younger players. They have more than enough veterans on the team at the moment, to help insulate them and expedite their growth.

I think people are underestimating Arniel. "IF" Bowness was coaching via proxy (at the beginning of the year), why did he instantly change up the line-ups the moment he came back? What was that about? They were playing very good hockey at the time, and didn't need a shake-up. And if he didn't want his players to get too comfortable, why was he settling on not wanting to shake-up the roster for the playoffs? Weird strategy...

I really don't know what to make of Arniel. I liked him when he was the Moose coach. His one head coaching gig was for a not very good and poorly run Bluejackets team. I don't know that it was a far representation of his coaching ability.

We see guys make major strides on their second opportunities. Sullivan won a pair cups in Puttsburgh as an example.

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
Yeah you might be right. Lowry has kind of cemented the 3rd line to be a shutdown one and the 4th is just an energy line.

A lot will depend on what happens with Ehlers I think. I'm hoping we don't resign either of Monahan or Toffoli so that opens up some space in the top 6. If all 3 are gone by next years camp then its basically.

Connor - Schief - Vilardi
X - X - Perfetti

Chib and Lambert could fit in there. Maybe move some guys around so there are some vets and youngsters on all lines. If Ehlers is back then it really only opens one spot. If they also decide to resign Monahan then it leaves zero spots open.
I find it amusing that everyone assumes Villardi will be first line. He was rotten down the stretch, and in the playoffs. If there is a new coach there is a good chance he won't be on the first line. Outside of being good on the PP for a stretch, 5 on 5 he was actually bad for most of the year. The need to "win" the trade with LA (which is what made the team force that all year) and the need to ensure Villardi gets opportunity, will have worn off by next year for everyone.

He is 25 years old and he has a career high of 41 points in a season and has a career ppg of .57.

He is what he is at this point.

Dale53130

Nov 10, 2019
I really don't know what to make of Arniel. I liked him when he was the Moose coach. His one head coaching gig was for a not very good and poorly run Bluejackets team. I don't know that it was a far representation of his coaching ability.

We see guys make major strides on their second opportunities. Sullivan won a pair cups in Puttsburgh as an example.
He seemed to handle Ehlers well (encouraging him on the bench), when Ehlers was awful to start the season. It's the only time I (sort of) rooted for Ehlers in years, because I was excited to see how well Names was working with him, and Names with Perfetti. That line looked good leading up to when Bowness came back, and I really thought they had something there.

I also don't think Arniel is risk-adverse trying out younger players. He seems to be loyal to Bowness (which I can appreciate), but I think he's capable of deviating enough, from whatever Rick's been doing.

He also has an advantage over any new coach coming in. He's been observing the team up close, and knows what adjustments to make. I really liked the way he handled the job; his composure on the bench. I make no secret that I want Ehlers gone, but if he stays, I think Arniel understood what line combinations work, better than Bowness does. Bowness lost me in the playoffs this year, and I tend to give coaches a ton of rope, and try to see things from their perspectives.

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
No, you didn't pull it out of your ass - you just spread the rumors that support your take on things as if they are fact.
No, I don't believe it - Perfetti likely lost his spot because he lost his game - and was replaced by a deadline deal that was likely done because he lost his game (by Chevy - the guy that is mad at Bones for playing Perfetti) -
This stuff writes itself . . .
Did you not listen to Chevy's presser? He said in it that Vilardi's injury (they didn't know how long he would be out at the deadline) is why he went out and got Toffoli, not Perfetti's play. Unintended consequence of that he said was that Villardi got healthy and Toffoli was in the picture already so there wasn't room in the top 6.

I know that Chevy wasn't happy during the season with Cole's usage at times but he left all of those decisions to his coach even if he didn't like them.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad