Friedman: Jets and Rutger McGroarty are not talking - his name is coming up in trade talks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
What kind of stupid name is Rutger anyway?

If a good trade doesn’t materialize just wait. Take the second round compensation and show kids they have to play 4 years in the NCAA and possibly stunt their development
Yup, when his parents named him that they pretty much sealed the deal on him being a douche. Almost no coming back from that.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Just for the record, I understand Winnipeg fans frustrations from this thread and earlier from the endless PLD saga, but I’d ask that you please don’t label “Habs fans” as one big unit of similar minded individuals. We are the largest Canadian fan base and as such you’ll see a variety of opinions across the board. I value McGroarty and would love to have him in Montreal for obvious reasons and I’ve tried to maintain a respectful and open dialogue with Winnipeg posters. I do understand the obvious frustration from the Winnipeg perspective, it’s just not all of us…

Anyway my offer, for the record would be:

To Winnipeg: 2025 1st round pick acquired from Calgary, prospect Bogdan Konyushkov and Justin Barron.

To Montreal: Rutger McGroarty

I think that’s good value for both sides and addresses the needs of both clubs.
I expect the pick would have ample conditions if ever that was an offer on the table now.

I figure pick #21 was on the table for an offer for McGroarty, and had Hage not been available at 21, McGroarty might now be a Hab, but it's hard to come up with equivalent value to that right now.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
I expect the pick would have ample conditions if ever that was an offer on the table now.

I figure pick #21 was on the table for an offer for McGroarty, and had Hage not been available at 21, McGroarty might now be a Hab, but it's hard to come up with equivalent value to that right now.
it's impossible since we don't know what was in the package with #21

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
Agreed. This thread should probably float to the bottom for now, I don't think we're going to hear anything for a long while about Rutger's future. If Chevy wanted a quick deal, it would've already been done. He'll wait until someone pays up.
Pay up for what? An unsigned Mcgroarty? No one will trade for him and give up what Chevy wants unless he agrees to sign.

I don't see Chevy getting what he wants, this isn't like the PLD deal. This kid isn't getting a crazy deal when he signs so he'll choose the team that he likes the best.

There's absolutely zero chance he gets equivalent value to the player himself (I have no idea what he's asking for though).

Tasteless Beaver

Here for the hot takes
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
Pay up for what? An unsigned Mcgroarty? No one will trade for him and give up what Chevy wants unless he agrees to sign.

I don't see Chevy getting what he wants, this isn't like the PLD deal. This kid isn't getting a crazy deal when he signs so he'll choose the team that he likes the best.
Then he'll sit in Michigan. There's nothing to discuss at this time.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015

I guess were at the point where people just make shit up and hope they are right...

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC

There's absolutely zero chance he gets equivalent value to the player himself (I have no idea what he's asking for though).
Are you being purposely obtuse?

Are you seriously suggesting McGroarty is not a coveted asset? That he is not a top player in the NCAA with a long history of excellence? That Chevy is not consistent in getting value in trades?

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
I dont see any reason for Rutger to cave here if it ultimately is him playing in AHL

He seems content to go back to NCAA if the Jets are unwilling to give him look at NHL level and assurances, they won't slow roll his path to NHL. After watching his teammates move to NHL including Hughes stepping into identical situation with Devils (He still got a few NHL games and playoff games despite Devils fighting for home ice)

Next offseason the pressure will be on Chevy since Rutger would be 1 yr away from UFA and his offers will likely not be any better accounts he’s not asking for a look at the NHL level
By all accounts he is not asking for a look at the NHL level. A look consists of any number of games before a decision is made.

Jets will gladly give him every opportunity at a look, but he wants a NO AHL GUARANTEE. Very few players get that sort of guarantee. Treatment like that is reserved for the truly elite unless teams void of talent force players into the NHL roster before they’re truly ready.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
nothing since the draft, don't think we will get anything until something is being finalized atp

I see some news articles mentioning that he didn't show up to the opening of the Jets development camp today. Was he supposed to be there or not?

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Are you being purposely obtuse?

Are you seriously suggesting McGroarty is not a coveted asset? That he is not a top player in the NCAA with a long history of excellence? That Chevy is not consistent in getting value in trades?
Came here to say something like this and that Rutger reminds me of benson in that they both are players that seem to be very balanced and just ripe for nHL success but not being very dynamic about it.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Well that changes things.

Changes things yes but lets pretend it was the Flames pick only... Do you think the Habs actually would trade an unprotected 1st? No we would not. Interested in McGroarty but not desperate.

I'm sure the Habs/Jets were talking before the draft and the Jets 1st stayed with Montreal. Doubt the Flames/Panthers 1st will be on the table. Habs rather move a prospect in a area of team strength.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Just for the record, I understand Winnipeg fans frustrations from this thread and earlier from the endless PLD saga, but I’d ask that you please don’t label “Habs fans” as one big unit of similar minded individuals. We are the largest Canadian fan base and as such you’ll see a variety of opinions across the board. I value McGroarty and would love to have him in Montreal for obvious reasons and I’ve tried to maintain a respectful and open dialogue with Winnipeg posters. I do understand the obvious frustration from the Winnipeg perspective, it’s just not all of us…

Anyway my offer, for the record would be:

To Winnipeg: 2025 1st round pick acquired from Calgary, prospect Bogdan Konyushkov and Justin Barron.

To Montreal: Rutger McGroarty

I think that’s good value for both sides and addresses the needs of both clubs.
I would hold Barron back offer Harris instead. Chance Barron could be diamond in the rough. He has decent hands/size/wheels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad