Friedman: Jets and Rutger McGroarty are not talking - his name is coming up in trade talks

Status
Not open for further replies.

forever1922

Jul 8, 2022
Naantali, Finland
Yeah I'd love Luneau but it was a fairly unanimous "not interested" when I tested the waters on that in the Duck's forum haha
There's no chance the Ducks trade RDs.

Try LaCombe or Dionicio, they are not Luneau but very good prospects nevertheless. If the Ducks need to add, that's fine. That is one trade where Ducks can give up fair value and still consider it a win because the LD position is so much of a strength. You might not get much more, depends on what other teams are willing to offer given the situation.

• Haha
Reactions: MardyBum

Eegs

Jan 9, 2018
BC
There's no chance the Ducks trade RDs.

Try LaCombe or Dionicio, they are not Luneau but very good prospects nevertheless. If the Ducks need to add, that's fine. That is one trade where Ducks can give up fair value and still consider it a win because the LD position is so much of a strength. You might not get much more, depends on what other teams are willing to offer given the situation.
Dionicio is looking like a later-blooming potential stud. If I was WPG i'd be very interested in a package that included him.

Luneau and McGroaty would seem to have very similar value, but I get why Anaheim wouldn't want to move him as he's currently the best prospect of the bunch at RHD.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I think at this point Chevy is playing chicken with Rutger.

If offers are a late 1st or equivalent value, there is better odds he gives in and turns pro with the Jets than spending two more years in college. The loss for the Jets is just going down from late 1st to the mid 2nd compensatory pick we would get if he really plays two more years of college, worth the gamble unless teams are offering something good.

I dont see any reason for Rutger to cave here if it ultimately is him playing in AHL

He seems content to go back to NCAA if the Jets are unwilling to give him look at NHL level and assurances, they won't slow roll his path to NHL. After watching his teammates move to NHL including Hughes stepping into identical situation with Devils (He still got a few NHL games and playoff games despite Devils fighting for home ice)

Next offseason the pressure will be on Chevy since Rutger would be 1 yr away from UFA and his offers will likely not be any better

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
I dont see any reason for Rutger to cave here if it ultimately is him playing in AHL

He seems content to go back to NCAA if the Jets are unwilling to give him look at NHL level and assurances, they won't slow roll his path to NHL. After watching his teammates move to NHL including Hughes stepping into identical situation with Devils (He still got a few NHL games and playoff games despite Devils fighting for home ice)

Next offseason the pressure will be on Chevy since Rutger would be 1 yr away from UFA and his offers will likely not be any better
Risk of injury or kicking his post ELC payday down the road 2 years costing millions might be worth considering changing ones mind.

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
Still think it’s dumb to think you need assurance or guarantee of an NHL roster spot. Earn it if you think you’re good enough. If he’s as good as he thinks he is, then he should have no worry of being in the AHL.

I bet you almost every GM is on WPG’s side of the situation and he’s probably souring some teams.

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
You guys are in a tough spot. Looks like your prospect want out, a lot of players have WPG on their no-trade list which limits a lot of hockey trades and many teams do not have assets for such trade. Gauthier has landed Drysdale, a 5-11 RHD with a lot of question marks in similar situation.
Maybe you will land with Trevor Zegras 1 for 1 or Anthony Cirelli, but I do not expect that.
people thought the same when Dubois wanted out and Jets got a good offer Chevy is a patient GM he wont rush any moves

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Does Farabee for Rutger make sense as a base?
Not for me as Farabee only has 4 years left on a contract at 5M, while McGroarty will go to a team with a minimum of 7 years and most importantly have 3 years on an elc.

I'd be interested in Farabee (and Frost as well) if the Jets end up moving Ehlers, but not for McGroarty 1 for 1.

Reactions: Snowman

pooch

May 30, 2017
Not for me as Farabee only has 4 years left on a contract at 5M, while McGroarty will go to a team with a minimum of 7 years and most importantly have 3 years on an elc.

I'd be interested in Farabee (and Frost as well) if the Jets end up moving Ehlers, but not for McGroarty 1 for 1.
I agree not 1 for 1 which is why I said as a base. What would the flyers add to Farabee to make it a fair deal?

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Still think it’s dumb to think you need assurance or guarantee of an NHL roster spot. Earn it if you think you’re good enough. If he’s as good as he thinks he is, then he should have no worry of being in the AHL.

I bet you almost every GM is on WPG’s side of the situation and he’s probably souring some teams.
This was also the exact same type of conversation had around Devon Levi and he ended up playing most of the season in the AHL and as far as I know it didn't become an issue in any way. I feel like you can might as well just make the assurances and if he's clearly ready to contribute next year great, if not and he's drowning out there it's hard to imagine the agent would put up a massive stink if they demote him

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA

I agree. CG was known as being confident to the level of arrogance (which he's proven in his conversations) - if you had that much self belief, why does the gaurantee even matter?

Tasteless Beaver

Here for the hot takes
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
Chevy plays hardball too Usually waits patiently and listens to offers to his players that demands trade until last possible chance before a trade happens
This kid should be prepare to sit out for next couple years
Agreed. This thread should probably float to the bottom for now, I don't think we're going to hear anything for a long while about Rutger's future. If Chevy wanted a quick deal, it would've already been done. He'll wait until someone pays up.

Beendair Donedat

I don’t negotiate with Juice Arses
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
Just for the record, I understand Winnipeg fans frustrations from this thread and earlier from the endless PLD saga, but I’d ask that you please don’t label “Habs fans” as one big unit of similar minded individuals. We are the largest Canadian fan base and as such you’ll see a variety of opinions across the board. I value McGroarty and would love to have him in Montreal for obvious reasons and I’ve tried to maintain a respectful and open dialogue with Winnipeg posters. I do understand the obvious frustration from the Winnipeg perspective, it’s just not all of us…

Anyway my offer, for the record would be:

To Winnipeg: 2025 1st round pick acquired from Calgary, prospect Bogdan Konyushkov and Justin Barron.

To Montreal: Rutger McGroarty

I think that’s good value for both sides and addresses the needs of both clubs.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Just for the record, I understand Winnipeg fans frustrations from this thread and earlier from the endless PLD saga, but I’d ask that you please don’t label “Habs fans” as one big unit of similar minded individuals. We are the largest Canadian fan base and as such you’ll see a variety of opinions across the board. I value McGroarty and would love to have him in Montreal for obvious reasons and I’ve tried to maintain a respectful and open dialogue with Winnipeg posters. I do understand the obvious frustration from the Winnipeg perspective, it’s just not all of us…

To Winnipeg: 2025 1st round pick acquired from Calgary, prospect Bogdan Konyushkov and Justin Barron.

Is Barron waiver exempt?

xVolchenkov

Jun 21, 2011
Ottawa
Anyone have a TL;DR version of this thread? Any updates, teams interested, confirmation that he’s being shopped, etc.? Not trying to read through 63 pages and most posts I’ve seen are either people offering trash or people fight with each other.

Last edited:

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Anyone have a TL;DR version of this thread? Any updates, teams interested, confirmation that he’s being shopped, etc.? Not trying to read through 63 pages and most posts I’ve seen are either people offering trash on people fight with each other.
nothing since the draft, don't think we will get anything until something is being finalized atp

Reactions: xVolchenkov

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas

That addresses no needs for Winnipeg.

The Jets need top 4 RHD not bottom pairing defensemen of any kind and Barron also requires waivers, so he doesn't hold much value to Winnipeg.

Reactions: Lorenzo1000

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC

The Calgary pick will be a lottery pick so I take that deal.

Reactions: Whileee
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad