Friedman: Jets and Rutger McGroarty are not talking - his name is coming up in trade talks

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

I am Bettman

May 23, 2022
25 and Lysell would be most I give up as Bruins fan. Lysell had an awesome second half of the year in the AHL and I’m not sure Mcgroarty is that much better than Lysell to be honest.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
25 and Lysell would be most I give up as Bruins fan. Lysell had an awesome second half of the year in the AHL and I’m not sure Mcgroarty is that much better than Lysell to be honest.
That's a good offer. I would offer MN's 13th, but not an additional 2nd. And I would only do the deal when MN was on the clock at the draft, to make sure that someone unexpected wasn't still on the board, like in 2019 when Boldy was still there at 12th. I was all geared up to take Soderstrom that year.... oof.

I don't think Chevy will be thrilled about trading McG in division, especially MN, when there is the chance that his mistake will be rubbed in his face for years to come every time they play.

Reactions: Eegs

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
#1 reason for injuries is poor conditioning.

Why do injuries have him crying his way out of the BJs? That’s a dumb reason to demand a trade and in no way true. Most players play their contract. But this flake is crying his way out of another team he can’t get along with. He’s doing exactly what Dubois did to the same teams except Laine is worse because he has years on his boat anchor contract left.
His injuries are no because of bad condition.

For example the last season.

First:

He came back earlier than expected.

Then he twisted his ankle and came back earlier than expected. Then he COVID pulled a muscle for the rest of the season. I think he would have played if we were fighting for the PO, but why risk when we can get TOP 3 draft, especially if Bedard was #1. :D

Concussion this season, then broken collarbone.

Tell me which of these injuries is due to poor conditioning?

Btw, it is only mu idea he wants be traded for his injuries.

Last edited:

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I think its going to be less about differing opinions between Chevy & others GM's on the value of the return.................................and more about specific prospect Chevy wants from various teams or a specific pick in the draft so Chevy gets the prospect he wants.

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
This was my point as well. He's a good prospect trending well but you don't get sure shot NHL hits in return if you try to trade it. This is not a blue chip prospect. McGroaty is a good prospect trending very well. Needs to improve skating which is a major area of quality of how prospects make the NHL.

I remember Panthers fans pumping up Borgstrom on these boards as a sure shot prospect as well. Go check out his NCAA stats.
I think his value is sky high right now and hope Jets take advantage of it. With playoffs just finishing, attitude, grit and leadership are so hot right now, and that's what mcgroaty has. Teams see that and I think they will pay for it.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
WPG fans, thoughts on a package of 2024 1st, Geekie, Merkulov for McGroartys rights and Ehlers?

Back into the first round, low cost/team controlled Center who played well with increased ice time last year and a prospect the bruins are pretty high on (20 as a freshman at Ohio State, 24 as an AHL rookie, 30 last year in Prov). Merk is being developed as a center as well but we will see how his game translates.

What gets swapped out or what do the Bruins need to add in your minds?
#25 + 2025 1st for McGroarty is the closest thing to a fair deal I can think of, in the event that Chevy is interested in taking two decent assets instead of aiming for one great one. You're not giving up Poitras, so there's no point in discussing any players or prospects.

Adding Ehlers to that deal is just not necessary - your players don't get you McGroarty, they're definitely not getting you Ehlers on top of it.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Pete I usually love your posts but this is crazy to me. McGroarty just put up a season in the NCAA far better than anything Copp ever did pre-NHL. I'd say his upside more like a slightly better version of Anders Lee.
That’s a fair opinion and I’m not saying it can’t happen, but this goes back to how prospects get viewed on sites like these, compared to real, proven NHL players, like it’s just gonna be automatic. And that’s great for fans to be invested in these kids, but rarely proves to be the case.

90% of the time, opinions are 100% stats driven, and there lies the problem. You have to breakdown how they put up their points in lessor leagues, and if that will convert to the NHL game. It’s not easy. Obviously if it were, NHL scouts and managers wouldn’t screw up so much. So I have no problem admitting when I’m wrong. I try looking at 5 key things. 3 which are mandatory for me, to endorse a kid in such high regard before he’s ever stepped on NHL ice.

I think he plays in traffic really well and he creates space. That’s great and usually means he’ll be an NHL player and score SOME, if the physical tools are there. Especially if he puts up numbers. The big questions start when we start comparing players to pretty elite NHL players. For example, does McGroarty take a second or more to get his shot off? How much space does he need to react and make another play? Can he drive a line by himself? And a big one.. can he actually improve on those things too? That’s a big one for someone like him, and he has gotten better with his “time in space.” It’s still not fluid though, and it better be to score “consistently” in the NHL.

Carter Mazur for example, was similar his draft year in that respect. Then he went on to develop, and show he can do all 3 of those things at Denver before turning pro. Copp could only do 2 of them in his time. It’s why Copp will never be a consistent, high level point producer. He’s still a really good player though.

McGroarty still has a lot to prove when it comes to some of those. He still needs more time IMO. Look how Mazur played this year as a pro. Better and better and better as the season went on. He’s probably ready for the NHL now. I still won’t say he’ll be a better producer than Copp though, and he’s had a pro season already, in a much, much better league than McGroarty.

That’s why I have my opinion on McGroarty. You have to try determining if his scoring transfers. No different than overagers who score like crazy in the CHL, or even 17-18 year olds who only use their physical attributes to put up big numbers in the CHL..

When you get to the NHL, it’s something you’ve never seen before as a player. 99% of players have been just as good as you growing up. There’s no time and no space, so everything has to be natural. Almost like a muscle memory type thing. He’s not there yet.. Even though he’s shown signs he’s still developing.

A year from now, I may completely change that opinion, but right now, he still needs too much time to think about what he’s gonna do next. Compare that to a Cole Eiserman, where everything about the way he scores is 100% natural. It’s hard to even suggest he won’t score at the next level. Unfortunately Cole’s been dissected so much over the last 3 years, people are looking for other things to pick apart his game, many people haven’t even applied to a lot of prospects. It’s very unfair honestly.

So we’ll see. I like him a lot comparatively speaking. Just think he needs to process things quicker if his scoring will transfer consistently.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
That’s a fair opinion and I’m not saying it can’t happen, but this goes back to how prospects get viewed on sites like these, compared to real, proven NHL players, like it’s just gonna be automatic. And that’s great for fans to be invested in these kids, but rarely proves to be the case.

90% of the time, opinions are 100% stats driven, and there lies the problem. You have to breakdown how they put up their points in lessor leagues, and if that will convert to the NHL game. It’s not easy. Obviously if it were, NHL scouts and managers wouldn’t screw up so much. So I have no problem admitting when I’m wrong. I try looking at 5 key things. 3 which are mandatory for me, to endorse a kid in such high regard before he’s ever stepped on NHL ice.

I think he plays in traffic really well and he creates space. That’s great and usually means he’ll be an NHL player and score SOME, if the physical tools are there. Especially if he puts up numbers. The big questions start when we start comparing players to pretty elite NHL players. For example, does McGroarty take a second or more to get his shot off? How much space does he need to react and make another play? Can he drive a line by himself? And a big one.. can he actually improve on those things too? That’s a big one for someone like him, and he has gotten better with his “time in space.” It’s still not fluid though, and it better be to score “consistently” in the NHL.

Carter Mazur for example, was similar his draft year in that respect. Then he went on to develop, and show he can do all 3 of those things at Denver before turning pro. Copp could only do 2 of them in his time. It’s why Copp will never be a consistent, high level point producer. He’s still a really good player though.

McGroarty still has a lot to prove when it comes to some of those. He still needs more time IMO. Look how Mazur played this year as a pro. Better and better and better as the season went on. He’s probably ready for the NHL now. I still won’t say he’ll be a better producer than Copp though, and he’s had a pro season already, in a much, much better league than McGroarty.

That’s why I have my opinion on McGroarty. You have to try determining if his scoring transfers. No different than overagers who score like crazy in the CHL, or even 17-18 year olds who only use their physical attributes to put up big numbers in the CHL..

When you get to the NHL, it’s something you’ve never seen before as a player. 99% of players have been just as good as you growing up. There’s no time and no space, so everything has to be natural. Almost like a muscle memory type thing. He’s not there yet.. Even though he’s shown signs he’s still developing.

A year from now, I may completely change that opinion, but right now, he still needs too much time to think about what he’s gonna do next. Compare that to a Cole Eiserman, where everything about the way he scores is 100% natural. It’s hard to even suggest he won’t score at the next level. Unfortunately Cole’s been dissected so much over the last 3 years, people are looking for other things to pick apart his game, many people haven’t even applied to a lot of prospects. It’s very unfair honestly.

So we’ll see. I like him a lot comparatively speaking. Just think he needs to process things quicker if his scoring will transfer consistently.
It's so hard to tell. On the one hand, you have a guy like Reichel who looks great in the AHL, yet can't play his game in the NHL. OTOH, you have Faber, who is a vg, but limited offensively, in college, then comes into the league as a rookie and kills it.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Its not like Rutger came out of nowhere, quoting this 2 year old post from his prospect thread :

I think Rutger McGroarty's skill is VASTLY understated in this thread. Yes, he plays a *heavy* game, but he's demonstrated from a very young age that he's always been amongst the BEST 2004 born kids in the world. This is no fluke or one year wonder.

In 2013, when he was 10 years old, he played at the famous Brick Invitational Hockey Tournament in Edmonton. He lead the tournament with 9 goals in six games. Is that good? Well, other high draft picks played in the same tournament:

McGroarty - 9 goals
Savoie - 3 goals
Goyette - 3 goals
Shane Wright - 2 goals
Isaac Howard - 2 goals
Hutson - 2 goals
Korchinski - 2 goals
Cutter Gauthier - 1 goal
Owen Pickering - 1 goal
Mateychuk - 0 goals
Geekie - 0 goals

Again, he was regarded as the best 2004 born player in the US. In 2017 as a 13 year old, he played in the toughest AAA circuit (Michigan / Honeybaked). These were his results vs other top propects that same season:

Rutger McGroarty - 17GP - 40G, 7A - 47npts
Lane Hutson - 15 GP - 12G, 9A - 21 pts
Cutter Gauthier - 17GP - 6G - 11A - 17 pts
Seamus Casey - 16GP - 7G - 8A - 15 pts
Frank Nazar - 17GP - 4G - 7A - 11 pts

That Spring, (now 14 years old) he played in (and led in scoring) the Draft Day Selects Elite Tournament:

McGroarty - 17pts
Ostlund - 11 pts
Gauthier - 10 pts
Slafkovsky - 7 pts
Hutson - 7 pts
Mateychuk - 5 pts

The following fall AAA season (14 years old, turning 15 in the new year):

Cole Spicer - 51G - 118A - 169 pts
Rutger McGroarty - 82G - 78A - 160 pts
David Goyette - 49G - 104A - 153 pts
Frank Nazar - 49G - 78A - 127 pts

**HE LED THE LEAGUE IN GOALS BY 31 - THAT'S NUTS **

When the winter season was over, he once again played in the Elite Draft Day Spring tournament against his peers from around the world. Just like The Brick Tournament and Elite Draft Day Selects, he ONCE AGAIN led the entire tournament in scoring:

McGroarty - 19 pts
Hutson - 16 pts
Casey - 15 pts
Howard - 13 pts
Dumais - 10 pts
Snuggerud - 9 pts
Goyette - 8 pts
Cooley - 7 pts
Gauthier - 7 pts
Ostlund - 6 pts
Nazar - 5 pts
Owen Beck - 4 pts
Spicer - 4 pts
Minten - 3 pts

Fast forward to his draft year, and McGroarty leads the USNDTP in goals (35G) which is more than Cooley / Nazar / Howard + is 3rd in pts per games/played (nearly identical to Nazar and just slightly below Cooley / Howard).

His last major international tournament prior to draft was the U18s where he was 2nd in goals:

Jiri Kulich: 9G
McGroarty: 8G
Howard: 6G
Kemell: 6G
Bedard: 6G
Lekkerimaki: 5G
Ostlund: 4G
Cooley: 3G
Ohgren: 3G
Nazar: 3G
Gauthier: 3G

If it's not evident already, Rutger McGroarty has been amongst the tops for 2004 born kids for a LONG time. He didn't have a *fluke* season. This isn't Andrew Copp or Adam Lowry. He's been a top 3 scorer in virtually every league and tournament he's played in. Don't let the *power forward* moniker confuse you. He's a HIGH skill player that just happens to also be physical. A bit of a unicorn. Had he played CHL hockey this year, I have no doubt he would have produced a nearly the same rate as Shane Wright and / or Matt Savoie. He's been putting up insane numbers his entire life.

He went 14OA because of his skating, which has been much improved working with Barb Underhill.

Whatever team acquires him is going to be very happy.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
It's so hard to tell. On the one hand, you have a guy like Reichel who looks great in the AHL, yet can't play his game in the NHL. OTOH, you have Faber, who is a vg, but limited offensively, in college, then comes into the league as a rookie and kills it.
DMen are even harder for fans to judge. You have a lot of really technically sound dmen who look much better in the NHL than the AHL. It’s because fans look at stats with futures more than in the NHL, but a Dman who thinks and processes the game at a high level, sometimes is even better in the NHL because he’s playing with other players who process the game as quickly as he does. His passes lead to more scoring chances, etc.

Take a Matt Roy for example of someone who’s never put up big stats. Even in his AAA days. Everyone would love him on their team now, because they know him from the NHL, playoff games, etc. His AHL and college stats are pretty much in line with his NHL stats though, and don’t fly off the page at you. He spent less than 2 years in the AHL though, because he’s just a really good, technically sound dman. Detroit has a kid named Albert Johansson who’s very Roy like. Doesn’t put up a ton of points, but he’s always a Top Dman on every team, at every level because he “thinks the Game” at such a high level. In fact sometimes, they end up with much more open ice in the NHL, they’re able to increase their production.

It’s also much easier to increase offensive production for an already technically sound Dman, once he hits the NHL, than raw offensive players who are trying to be more technically sound like a Gostisbehere for example. Who’s still chasing a technically sound game.

So there’s guys like Roy, and then there’s players who are working so hard at becoming more sound defensively, scoring may even lapse in lower leagues too.

It all goes back to really watching players. Stats are so misleading, yet we keep assuming way too much from non-NHL statistics. Especially on non-high scoring dmen.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Its not like Rutger came out of nowhere, quoting this 2 year old post from his prospect thread :

He went 14OA because of his skating, which has been much improved working with Barb Underhill.

Whatever team acquires him is going to be very happy.
Just about every prospect and player works on their skating with one of the many excellent skating coaches around. It's not like it's some special cheat code for McGroarty that will allow him to progress faster than others.

To the contrary, the NDTP have more specialized coaches available to them than most other players, allowing them to get the most of their talent in comparison. Sometimes progress as skaters more than most(Tuch), but usually they improve at the same rate as their peers. The ones who don't simply don't make it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad