Friedman: Jets and Rutger McGroarty are not talking - his name is coming up in trade talks

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
For precisely the reasons that I stated?

Because I'm genuinely curious as to whether fans of the Jets believe that their management team could be enamoured with a player like Xhekaj, whom GMs tend to overvalue in the extreme.

And I was responding to a post on the last page that proposed Mailloux + Winnipeg's 1st for Mcgroarty, which I doubted would fly.

The answer to your questions should be evident given that they are provided in my post and the one to which I was responding.

Xhekaj has value, he's worth something as a dark horse long shot.......but I doubt the Jets would place the value some Habs fans do on him. He's earned his rep as a fighter, the Jets aren't some big tough team anymore and haven't been for years, Jets management don't see value in pure fighters (Tony P was our last goon years ago). Jets have team toughness, no need for a pure fighter and I don't think most see him as anything more then a bottom pairing guy. No interest IMO

Based on the rumored significant interest by multi teams Rutger won't come cheap.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Someone came into the bruins forum and cited TSN panel saying this was the deal being discussed. Can anyone confirm TSN was talking about this

To Boston: McGroarty, 2nd, Appleton

To Jets: Carlo, lysell, 1st

I'd have to think we are on Carlos NT list.

If the pick was Bostons 25th and our 37th then I think I do that deal all day,

BronxBruin

Feb 27, 2002
Bronx, NY
Visit site
Someone came into the bruins forum and cited TSN panel saying this was the deal being discussed. Can anyone confirm TSN was talking about this

To Boston: McGroarty, 2nd, Appleton

To Jets: Carlo, lysell, 1st
Bruins have no need for Appleton. Their bottom 6 is already overcrowded with Frederic, Poitras, Geekie, Brazeau, Lauko, Beecher, Boqvist, & Kastelic.
I'd also venture to guess that the Bruins don't view the gap in Lysell vs. McGroarty's value as being Carlo since they still view themselves as contenders and this would open a pretty big hole in their top 4.

Reactions: KillerMillerTime

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
I wonder if the Sabres traded back, and depending if they don’t like who is available, that they have an agreement to swap the pick for Mcgroarty to allow the Jets to reset the pick at 14OA (although still not ideal).

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I would think he is worth a late 1st.

He is a college player who isn’t signing who was 14th overall 2 years ago.

The 20-25th pick seems actually pretty reasonable.

Where would he go in this years draft?
Prospect lists have him in the 35-50th range.

He’s not seen as a top 10 can’t miss prospect according to those sources

Edit one recent one by a writer I never heard of has him 11th
8-12 range

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
No one likes Laine. He couldn’t get along in Winnipeg and he’s not getting along in Columbus. He’s lazy, entitled and teams have to pay him $8.7m for the privilege of putting up with him.
Laine has no problem with teammates in Columbus. Also he is not lazy, all our coaches said it. And was our best forward, not Gaudreau.

Please, stop making up bedtime stories.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Laine has no problem with teammates in Columbus. Also he is not lazy, all our coaches said it. And was our best forward, not Gaudreau.

Please, stop making up bedtime stories.
Ok he's not lazy by Columbus standards. It's just an allergy to the Gym. He gets along but desperately wants out of his second franchise for no reason at all. The guy is a flake.

Reactions: ps241

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Xhekaj has value, he's worth something as a dark horse long shot.......but I doubt the Jets would place the value some Habs fans do on him. He's earned his rep as a fighter, the Jets aren't some big tough team anymore and haven't been for years, Jets management don't see value in pure fighters (Tony P was our last goon years ago). Jets have team toughness, no need for a pure fighter and I don't think most see him as anything more then a bottom pairing guy. No interest IMO

Based on the rumored significant interest by multi teams Rutger won't come cheap.

No doubt there is interest. He's a former mid 1st rounder with a good development resume. Just because there is interest, it don't really mean it's going to be a crazy high trade price. What's the deadline to sign him? You do know the NHL GM's are like vultures when things like this happen right? Not going to sign with the Jets so GM's call and circle around looking to buy low... especially the teams that know he will sign with them.

I will echo your lowered evaluation from Xhekaj to McGroarty. McGroarty has to improve skating and that is a red flag. Easy to hide and survive in the NCAA with OK skating but it gets exposed very quickly at the NHL or even AHL level. Go look up H Borgstrom. 1.23 pts/game over 77 NCAA games. Not saying McGroaty bust like that but lets calm down on his sure shot NHL top 6 trade value.

I can assure you Xhekaj is not on the table for McGroarty. The offers you are liking getting are other prospects or picks not in the NHL yet. Highest I would go would be Jets 1st and Engstrom and even that might be too much. From the outside looking in, The Jets need D injection in their pool.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Of course, potential trades and preparations for free agency are also front of mind at the draft. Here’s what I’m hearing from team and league sources on all three fronts.

Minnesota would likely be willing to trade the 13th pick outright, especially if it was to the Winnipeg Jets for the University of Michigan standout Rutger McGroarty. There’s no doubt the Wild, like many teams, have been talking to the Jets about the 2022 14th pick, who reportedly doesn’t want to sign with Winnipeg.

C’mon Winni, send McGroarty our way.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
No doubt there is interest. He's a former mid 1st rounder with a good development resume. Just because there is interest, it don't really mean it's going to be a crazy high trade price. What's the deadline to sign him? You do know the NHL GM's are like vultures when things like this happen right? Not going to sign with the Jets so GM's call and circle around looking to buy low... especially the teams that know he will sign with them.

I will echo your lowered evaluation from Xhekaj to McGroarty. McGroarty has to improve skating and that is a red flag. Easy to hide and survive in the NCAA with OK skating but it gets exposed very quickly at the NHL or even AHL level. Go look up H Borgstrom. 1.23 pts/game over 77 NCAA games. Not saying McGroaty bust like that but lets calm down on his sure shot NHL top 6 trade value.

I can assure you Xhekaj is not on the table for McGroarty. The offers you are liking getting are other prospects or picks not in the NHL yet. Highest I would go would be Jets 1st and Engstrom and even that might be too much. From the outside looking in, The Jets need D injection in their pool.

Insiders already said his skating (skating is one of the easiest things to improve) has improved since his draft and isn’t a problem at his level now, NHL TBD. I haven’t said once what I expect or want for Rutger, I do see the rumours from insiders and just view this thread what fans would pay. I doubt I’m going to be disappointed. Insiders keep saying how there is significant interest in him from multi GM’s, demand drives value.

No problem with with picks, prospects or roster players that fill needs. LHD isn’t a need so doubt your offer would be of interest bc it just doesn’t fill any needs. Jets need 2C and top 4 RHD, players or prospects/picks who could grow into those positions. LHD is one of the last things they need or want.

fYI, two years team control still

Reactions: ps241

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin

They own his rights for 2 more years lmao. There is no immediate rush. And even if they didnt end up signing him after 2 years, they would still get a 2nd round pick back as compensation. So why would the Jets accept anything near a 2nd round pick value.

Reactions: Buffdog and ps241

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont

Is his skating any worse than Monahan’s? Monahan made a decent career with his skill set and IQ even with him being a puddle of molasses and soft as pudding. There is nothing to say McG can’t carve out an NHL career and he brings a physical element that Monahan doesn’t.
Rutgers stock has only gone up since his draft. He brings exactly what teams need come playoff time. Gritty, hard to play against with a scoring touch.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
I don't see a trade with Montreal, period. Mailloux is not TNSE material. Xhekaj doesn't move the needle. Hutson scares the crap out of me and Guhle isn't moving, so there's just no deal to be made.

I don't hate it. Appleton shows glimpses every now and then but inevitably disappoints. We have a lot of competition in that bottom six, so he's just effectively just contract going the other way. It creates a massive logjam on defense that we'd need to clear out first, though.
TNSE means True North Sport Entertainment!?

I wouldn't move Mailloux/Xhekaj + 1st for McGoarthy personally. I think both have shown more and I'm curious to see who's there at 26. I see McG as a quality middle 6 player, but he doesn't have the skating/talent to be a true offensive play driver. I see Anders Lee/ Debrusk in the best scenario.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
The trade target should be an equivalent prospect or pick not a veteran D man. Jets dont need to get older.
I think that's going to be the interesting thing. If he's not willing to sign with the Jets, the reality is that pick is 46 in 2 years. Now I'm not suggesting that's his value but I don't think the Jets will get equivalent value for him. I'm also not sure he's seen as a true blue chip prospect. He's a really good one but has flaws and questions about whether he's a wing or center... different value there too.

Interesting situation for sure and I feel for the Jets

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Is his skating any worse than Monahan’s? Monahan made a decent career with his skill set and IQ even with him being a puddle of molasses and soft as pudding. There is nothing to say McG can’t carve out an NHL career and he brings a physical element that Monahan doesn’t.
Rutgers stock has only gone up since his draft. He brings exactly what teams need come playoff time. Gritty, hard to play against with a scoring touch.

I like McGroarty's potential and he does have a good development resume after the draft. All I am saying is we got to be careful as fans with the pumping/deflating. The truth is in the middle usually.

He does need to improve skating. Skating is huge when you consider how hard it is to crack the NHL. Doesn't mean he can't improve or will never make it. It's just the context into where he is today. This is not a sure shot top 6F in the NHL. It's a good prospect developing well but you usually don't know how good they are until they turn pro. It's a massive hurdle

All we can do as fan talk is offer what we think we can. I looked at the Jets pool and I believe they can use some D injection. Engstrom is one in our pool (LD) that Habs fans see potential in too. He was playing with men in the SHL and he's got game too. Because the Habs are deep at LD, I think we can spare him. Some would make the argument that McGroaty has better prospect rating and I think that is fair. So my max offer is Jets 1st and Engstrom. I think this is a good offer and helps the Jets improve their pool.

• Haha
Reactions: Huffer and jfhabs

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
They own his rights for 2 more years lmao. There is no immediate rush. And even if they didnt end up signing him after 2 years, they would still get a 2nd round pick back as compensation. So why would the Jets accept anything near a 2nd round pick value.

I didn't say you should take 2nd round value though. My offer was Engstrom who is also well valued in the Habs pool. Then I added the Jets 1st on top. That's my max offer and you can decline. I'm personally not going any deeper than that.

This is strange. If he has 2 more years of team control, why is this news today? Seems to be another Media click bait that gullible fans have focused on right?

Insiders already said his skating (skating is one of the easiest things to improve) has improved since his draft and isn’t a problem at his level now, NHL TBD. I haven’t said once what I expect or want for Rutger, I do see the rumours from insiders and just view this thread what fans would pay. I doubt I’m going to be disappointed. Insiders keep saying how there is significant interest in him from multi GM’s, demand drives value.

No problem with with picks, prospects or roster players that fill needs. LHD isn’t a need so doubt your offer would be of interest bc it just doesn’t fill any needs. Jets need 2C and top 4 RHD, players or prospects/picks who could grow into those positions. LHD is one of the last things they need or want.

fYI, two years team control still

Nah, skating is not that hard to improve. Some do but most don't. He can still be effective but none of us know how good he really can be until he turns pro.

I believe your pool needs D injection. Look at the last 3 drafts from the Jets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad