Post-Game Talk: Jets 8 - Sharks 3

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Do you know the problem with stats are?
Perfetti leads the Jets in PP goals which is misleading because he got them all in one game against a weak team.
McDavid got 7 of his 9 points in 2 games vs the Canucks first round if it wasn't for injuries the Canucks probably beat them but that's another story ... the point is its not how many points you get but how many you get in each game to help win games.
Last year McDavid had 5 game winning goals while Kyle Connor got double that ...10 game winning goals playing 17 less games.
Does this mean Connor is better than McDavid?
Absolutely not everybody and their dog knows McDavid is the best player in the world right now all that stat does is show that Connor scored more important goals than McDavid.
I'm sick of the Scheifele/Connor line getting bashed when they are winning more games for the Jets than losing them that's why I'm keeping the stats so far they have outscored their opponents in all 4 games and guess what the Jets are 4-0 which means 55 & 81 did not lose any games because of their defensive play.
No offence but this is a massive straw man that is countering a point i didnt make

Stats and eye test say that scheif and connor take long shifts and have real defensive challenges together... the argumebt was that we dont hold mcdavid and mackinnon to thwt standard and i simply pointed out that when you get twice as many points as scheif who cares about D

Ive said before the first half of the season doesnt matter with this team - we are a fkn good team... its the second half where the wheels get a bit rattly and then fall off in the playoffs. No one can argue that.

Scheif is our 1C and leader - there were 40 forwards and a few D with more points than him last year... like it or not thats a meaningful stat

That might get too boring, I prefer your biting sarcasm if I get a vote.
I always thought Confetti was a better choice than Perfetan

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
The number of interest here is the TOI for the same number of shifts. Almost double. That indicates a problem. It may or may not be connected to the CF%.
My thoughts are you can’t really take too much from that game. The Jets could pretty much toy with the Sharks. My only real takeaway from the game is the 2nd got going and especially Perfetti finally got going after missing most of camp. Now all lines have played important roles in wins and we appear to be in a nice groove to start the season. I’m very optimistic at this point and I’m really trying to avoid all the personal axe grinding that happens over people’s favourite players following every game no matter what the outcome.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
Apart from having the wrong verb form, I'd say that the problem is that guys argue ENDLESSLY about stats instead of something more interesting.

That's only some guys.

Others argue relentlessly about nerdy stuff like comic books and sci-fi plot errors. :laugh:

(To be honest, I'm not sure how the hell I ever got married)

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I don't want to throw water on the fire but it's early and we have played a few weaker teams (and the Oilers didn't show up) -
But it is encouraging to see Fleury play as well as he has - and the depth is nice.
Stan and Ville will need to impress - no walk on's
Fleury still yet to be scored on at even strength. Miller hasn't been scored on either (but he hasn't killed any penalties either).

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Ultimately the only stat that truly matters is the score at the end of the game. If we win, how we got there goes out with the trash. Ultimately the goal is to win the last game we play.
The team is actually shaping up nicely so far. All 4 lines have contributed nicely. The defence hasn’t skipped a beat without Dillon and actually seems to have had a slight uptick with Samberg moving into the #2 LHD role and Fleury so far covering off nicely as a depth D. We still have potential unknowns with Villie, Lambert and Chibby by seasons end that could be upgrades. It is looking like we will be very competitive this season.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
The team is actually shaping up nicely so far. All 4 lines have contributed nicely. The defence hasn’t skipped a beat without Dillon and actually seems to have had a slight uptick with Samberg moving into the #2 LHD role and Fleury so far covering off nicely as a depth D. We still have potential unknowns with Villie, Lambert and Chibby by seasons end that could be upgrades. It is looking like we will be very competitive this season.
4 games
Hopefully you are right

Jack7222

Mar 17, 2021
Ultimately the only stat that truly matters is the score at the end of the game. If we win, how we got there goes out with the trash. Ultimately the goal is to win the last game we play.

Scores and winning don't even matter either, none of the games matter at all. Ultimately only the last game of the cup finals matters

• Haha
Reactions: Buffdog

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Hope so, but it is also much more enjoyable for me to optimistic about the season. I look forward to each game and enjoy watching how it all plays out. I’m trying hard to focus on the team as whole and believe they can overcome any individual warts.
You are very positive and a good poster that’s great.
I’m not judgemental just insightful :laugh:

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Fair enough on all points.

I'm not trying to compare Schiefele vs Lowry. I'm just trying to put into perspective that just because him and Connor break even at 5v5, it doesn't impact the overall record of the team to the extent that posters make it out to. I wouldn't call it a "nothingburger" by any stretch, but clearly it's not holding the team back to the same degree to which people make a fuss over it

Last season (the majority of which Schief and Connor played together when they were healthy), the Jets had the best 5v5 goal differential in the league. That was largely due to Helle (we were 2nd in goals against at 5v5 and 7th in goals for). Now, those results didn't come the way that people expect them to - by the 1st line winning/dominating matchups - but that's my point

Whether people want to admit it or not, clearly there's a reason that they're stapled at the hip. So the option is to seperate the two of them in order to gain 8 or 10 more goals for in the 5v5 differential (that the team is already elite in) but what is the fallout from doing so?

I admit that what I'm about to say is somewhat based on speculation (and somewhat based on inside info that mods are welcome to DM me about) but the team has decided that keeping Schief happy is more important than improving his 5v5 goal differential by a margin that wouldn't have made any difference during they'll regular season anyway

Now... with all that being said, maybe if the Jets fall to spot where Schief and Connor's 5v5 play begins to put a playoff spot in jeopardy, they might reasses the the pros and cons of splitting them up. And I do 100% expect changes in the top 6 when the team goes into a slump, which all teams invariably do

But complaining about it coming off a 4th overall finish and a in the middle of a 4-0 start seems pointless to me

As for the other duos, I was going off what Gmoney posted yesterday
You lost me at wonk wonk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad