Post-Game Talk: Jets 1 period not enough lose 5-1

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
You can't really generate nz turnovers when LA just dumps it in, sets up their structure and just let's you come at them. Edmonton has shown two years in a row now that speed is the key to breaking that scheme.

Still early but I agree that more rush offense would be good. Our best rush player hasn't been himself yet in Nik which is a factor. Cole is also starting to get more comfortable and he was one of the few tonight thay was able to navigate their nz with control.
I agree - I only mention the Nzone turnovers because when we play that type of game, that is were our best rush offense comes from.
I mentioned in an earlier post that tonight should have been a dump / chase game - it's the easiest way to kill a trap game assuming your have players that are willing to play it that way and force their D to turn.

IMO, our offense, especially anything generated from our end with our D, isn't going to break through a trap game - we've had that issue for years.
I also mentioned that if they intend to build an O system that generates a lot of offense off the rush (against a trap), it won't happen over night - our offense doesn't work that way - too much east/west on the approach and not enough speed. These guys are slowing down on the approach because the only guy that has shown the capability of breaking through, is Ehlers - and he's a shell of himself right now.

Watch our best guys on the approach - they stop moving their feet and are looking for any and every opportunity to pass it off in traffic like a hot potato.
It usually results in a turn over and everyone is standing still -
I'm not saying we play a dump and chase game every night - but when up against a slow team that traps, it our best bet IMO.

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island
Oof... I travelled 1000 miles today and missed the game - looks like I dodged a bullet...

The next game will show whether this was just an off day or if we need more changes...

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I agree - I only mention the Nzone turnovers because when we play that type of game, that is were our best rush offense comes from.
I mentioned in an earlier post that tonight should have been a dump / chase game - it's the easiest way to kill a trap game assuming your have players that are willing to play it that way and force their D to turn.

IMO, our offense, especially anything generated from our end with our D, isn't going to break through a trap game - we've had that issue for years.
I also mentioned that if they intend to build an O system that generates a lot of offense off the rush (against a trap), it won't happen over night - our offense doesn't work that way - too much east/west on the approach and not enough speed. These guys are slowing down on the approach because the only guy that has shown the capability of breaking through, is Ehlers - and he's a shell of himself right now.

Watch our best guys on the approach - they stop moving their feet and are looking for any and every opportunity to pass it off in traffic like a hot potato.
It usually results in a turn over and everyone is standing still -
I'm not saying we play a dump and chase game every night - but when up against a slow team that traps, it our best bet IMO.

It's that lack of speed that often creates situations where our players move east to west as they end up taking what's being given. The system also seems to put an awful lot of emphasis on that no look diagonal pass at the blue line. When it works, you get Cole sending Pionk in alone for a grade A chance, but when it doesn't it results in an easy clear or the other team going through other way. I think the team needs a more varied approach in the nz but I also think line composition plays a role in this.

The third line isn't a fast line but they are gritty so they generally chip and chase and forecheck. They will carry it in wide if it is there. That seems to match their identity.

The top line is skilled but they aren't really skilled rush players. Conner had never been a nz driver, Scheifele is just ok at that aspect. Vilardi is also just ok. Where those players thrive is in the ozone off of rotations when they get control. So they are much more of a cycle/switch line that needs someone "Vilardi" to win them the puck to set it up.

Second line is probably the closest wr have to a rush type line and they are still figuring things out.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Our elite goaltender is sporting a very impressive .841 after 3 games. Hasn't cracked 900 yet.
It's just not good enough for Helle, and maybe his overweighted wallet, is affecting his balance. He's not playing with much urgency anymore, and will have to improve bigtime, if the Jets are going to make the playoffs.

Reactions: rkp

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
IDK -
There's a bunch of ways to look at this but I see our best zone entries off Nzone turnovers - but that's only part of it.
It's been awhile since I've seen this team generate much off the rush starting from their own end - they don't seem to generate much in the way of speed on the approach - they'd rather play east / west once they hit that blueline.
Could they change that? Sure - but it won't happen over night.

Bones ran into this issue LY - and it frustrated the crap out of him.
He tried to get them to simplify but they stuck to their guns on that slo mo approach (too many passes, too slow, too clogged up) - and it got worse as the year went on.

IMO, it will come down to consistency - they'll need to play a 200 ft game for more than one period - and they'll need to keep up the pace.
I think it's still sinking in with this lot - they slow down rather than upping the pace, when teams through the wall up. Some of it is frustration - some of it might be the learning curve.

I hope they sort it out quickly before it becomes a coaching issue (when it really isn't a coaching issue).
The team can't get away from man to man when they are down...

Then the snipers start playing fancy pass...

I'm hoping we hang in and then get stronger in second half

White Out 902

I'm usually right.
Aug 17, 2017
Cape Breton Island
It's just not good enough for Helle, and maybe his overweighted wallet, is affecting his balance. He's not playing with much urgency anymore, and will have to improve bigtime, if the Jets are going to make the playoffs.
Helley has often lost the net and been out of position before. It's been bad this year, and, his rebound control.

Reactions: GNP

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I thought it was more an execution issue them a motivation one.
I think it was a bit of both. It did look like they quit once down 2-0 though, not sure if they quit or if they just played that poorly. They desperately need more players who can generate offence.

Reactions: Fairview

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
Any chance the Jets send the film of the Perfetti hit to the league office?
It was a minor penalty, he made it worse by turning on the play. Yes it was a missed call but there is nothing for the league to do.

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
The team needs to figure out that 1-3-1. I think this is where better breakouts from the D would help get the speed necessary to break it down.

This isn't at you directly, but the 1-3-1 isn't some novel concept that the Kings are employing. Every team in every league everywhere is running some variation of a 1-3-1, 1-2-2 or 2-1-2 forecheck at any given time. It just so happens that we have a few former LA players that described the Kings' forecheck to the media, and now that their non-hockey backgrounds have a peek behind the curtain into some X's and O's talk, they're running with it in every soundbite and interview scrum.

Do we expect them to now question the players about Vegas' 2-1-2 or Colorado's 1-2-2 and how they can possibly beat it? Unlikely. It's just a matter of circumstance, a morsel of "industry jargon" fed to the media hounds that's been blown a bit out of proportion. The team wasn't completely flabbergasted by a new trapping style tonight and they won't be completely confused by other teams' strategies in the future.

Last edited:

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
When you only score 1 goal and give up 5 it's not very conducive to winning a game. Helly wasn't and hasn't been good enough so far this season, it's early i know but he has to be way better than he has so far. Hope Valardi is ok . We have too many of our core players not going right now but i think we will get it going.

Reactions: Inanna and rkp

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
Our elite goaltender is sporting a very impressive .841 after 3 games. Hasn't cracked 900 yet.
He also has the 4th worst Goals Saved above expected with a -2.9…he’s right on par with Carey prices trajectory when he signed his big money contract. I don’t think jets fans will like how this contract plays out…

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
It’s a lot of money for most people and right now people are prioritizing.
I don’t think it’s the team as much as the times.
But man it’s only 3 games in game folks.
IMG_5631.jpeg

Reactions: macmaroon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
This isn't at you directly, but the 1-3-1 isn't some novel concept that the Kings are employing. Every team in every league everywhere is running some variation of a 1-3-1, 1-2-2 or 2-1-2 forecheck at any given time. It just so happens that we have a few former LA players that described the Kings' forecheck to the media, and now that their non-hockey backgrounds have a peek behind the curtain into some X's and O's talk, they're running with it in every soundbite and interview scrum.

Do we expect them to now question the players about Vegas' 2-1-2 or Colorado's 1-2-2 and how they can possibly beat it? Unlikely. It's just a matter of circumstance, a morsel of "industry jargon" fed to the media hounds that's been blown a bit out of proportion. The team wasn't completely flabbergasted by a new trapping style tonight and they won't be completely confused by other teams' strategies in the future.

Your right it's a standard scheme but for whatever reason this team has had issues with this variation for years when trailing. Maybe we only notice it on teams that execute it extremely well though. Good teams playing strong systems are probably always going to give weaker teams trouble. Good points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad