Value of: Jesse Puljujarvi's next contract

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Whatever the term (short term bridge or longer term) I believe the Oilers find a way to sign Puljujarvi. Not likely to get an offer sheet. Those rarely happen.
So list some numbers - what exactly does that contract look like? Who would the Oilers submit to arbitration as their preferred comp? How do they fit him under the cap while having some space to address defense and goal?

Dwalexa1023

Jan 16, 2022
Player Elected:
  • A player who has elected for salary arbitration is not eligible to receive an Offer Sheet
If he takes the Oilers to arbitration then he can't sign an offer sheet, which just gives them more time to negotiate alone because no one wants to go to arbitration

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
So list some numbers - what exactly does that contract look like? Who would the Oilers submit to arbitration as their preferred comp? How do they fit him under the cap while having some space to address defense and goal?

Most teams and players try to avoid arbitration. It isn't a pleasant process for anybody.

If I had to guess the Oilers will sign him between $4-5 Million AAV. I don't know what that term will be.

I think the Oilers move a contract or two to fit Puljujarvi under the cap. For example, if Kassian is moved out his $3.2 Million dollar contract pays for a large portion of Puljujarvi's new contract. The difference between his new dollar contract and his current one (Let's say for argument's sake $5 Million (new) - $1.175 M (current) is about $3. 825 M. Kassian's contract makes up $3.2 Million of that, so the team has to find around $600,000 dollars in this scenario.

I am not certain what the market for Kassian is or what the Oilers have to do to move him. I have often stated I think it would cost a decent pick, but apparently there were teams actually inquiring about Kassian this off season, what the heck do I know.

Reactions: GOilers88

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
The only two comparables on the list you gave earlier are Debrusk and Bertuzzi, so I guess those two and their 3.5 - 3.75 M would be the ones the Oilers would offer up as comparables if they got to arbitration. Most of your examples listed are just too long ago (and some completely irrelevant due to other factors, like Schwartz as he was a 60 point player).

NotAVacuumSalesman

The Guide And Record Book™
Jun 19, 2017
I don't think many games opt to play that game. Carolina did last year, but we'll see how that plays out with contract negotiations for Kotkememi this offseason.
Carolina only did that based on revenge when Bergevin tried poaching Aho for some ridiculous signing bonus on his contract that would give Aho 21M within the calendar year(due to the pandemic shutting the league prematurely). That's literally half of his entire contract worth 42.295M.

Lowkey, I suspected that Canes' owner was looking for somewhere in the 5.5M range at the time. That Aho offer sheet costed Canes chances of re-signing Dougie Hamilton too. Just my opinion.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Whatever the term (short term bridge or longer term) I believe the Oilers find a way to sign Puljujarvi. Not likely to get an offer sheet. Those rarely happen.
Oilers are in the exact position where an OS makes sense. Get him a KK contract, and Oilers in need of a goalie and dman can't afford him.

Pooparty won't take anything less than what KK is making

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
I agree. He will get 1 or 2 years between 3 and 4, depending on how he finishes up the season. He had a good start but has cooled down significantly, so that will affect things.
He ain't taking 3-4M$. He's looking around, worse player are making 5-6M$ a year, why would he take hals of that?

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Its going to be an interesting contract for JP.

You will see games from him where he looks like a 6 million dollar player. Then games where he looks like a 2 million dollar player.

The one thing about him is that his effort level is always good. He creates a ton of chaos the way he plays. Hes a beast on the forecheck. But hes also prone to being clumsy. He makes some sketchy plays with the puck, and some people will claim its hockey IQ (which it might be), but sometimes I think its just more overcoaching and confidence related, I think hes been told to get the puck to McDavid/Draisaitl and he gets stuck in his head a bit.

I think its going to be a pretty hard contract to negotiate, it will be interesting to see how JP's side takes it. I think Holland whos prone to giving out bad contracts, is really going to squeeze JP's camp. He doesnt have a ton of money with Keith on the books, Nurse contract, trying to find a goalie etc. I think they will use McDavid factor to indicate that he has over inflated his points. Some of thats true, but I also think that JP's game creates chaos which helps McDavid just as much. I think JP kind of gets shafted on opportunity a bit as well. He does get to play with McDavid, but a lot of times he gets the tail end of powerplays. Rarely ever gets any OT time. I also think he would be a decent PK'er but hes never got that opportunity. I just get the feeling that the Oilers dont appreciate him as much as they should.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Oilers are in the exact position where an OS makes sense. Get him a KK contract, and Oilers in need of a goalie and dman can't afford him.

What a surprise! Mersss suggests something bad about the Oilers. Let's take a little look at your hot takes about Puljujarvi specifically:

Why would we give you a better player?

Cause at least, if Lehkhonen doesn't pan out offensively, we still get a very good 15-15 3rd liner with oustanding defensive abilities.

Poolparty is just totally useless if not on the top6... He's trash... So yah, you'll receive trash for trash buddy.

In 2years, not a single GM is going to give you ANYTHING for him if he continues to progress @ the rate he is now. At least, ATM you can trade hime for a 3rd round pick, or another struggling prospect... In 2years, forget it...

He's trending a LOT like Yakupov tho... Which already decreases his value significantly ...

No one will give you an established player for Pulju except if another establish player is also coming w/ Pulju ...

You knoe how many of them flop Hint : a lot more than the one actually suceeding ...

I'd go on but we don't have that kind of space.

My point being is that you really don't have a grasp on what Puljujarvi is and never really have. You trade suggestions and demands for him over the years have been all over the place. A couple of years ago Oiler fans were stating they were willing to wait to see if he develops and you ranted over and over again he is trash. Now he is so good other teams are going to screw the Oilers over with an offer sheet... which almost never happen?

C'mon man. Give it a rest already.

Reactions: GOilers88

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016

I'd be willing to bet he comes in under 6 million. Quite comfortably, actually.

Last edited:
Reactions: TFHockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad