Value of: Jesse Puljujarvi to the Jets

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Lots to decompress here and I’ll take a full stab tomorrow when I can break it down by point but the main thing I would like to focus on at the moment is you agree here that Puljujarvi right now would roughly go 20th overall... but somehow think that Petan and Comrie is ‘all the Jets would offer’ - which I wildly disagree with, a cap crunched team like you guys should be all-in to acquire a cost controlled high potential asset like Puljujarvi if he could be had for non roster pieces or someone like Perrault retained (he isn’t available for those pieces and there’s absolutely no indication the Oilers have even began to consider exploring a trade but I digress)

So you either admit OP is a massive lowball or you think those two should fetch a mid first, which leaves me with a LOT more questions.

I think we're making some progress understanding each other.

1) There's a difference between what a player is worth & what a another team would offer due to team needs & strengths. Oilers will set their min price in their heads, some teams will offer more or some less then that number. Thus why I stated multi times why the Oilers wouldn't ever accept the OP, because it's below their min asking price and below what other teams with a need would offer.

2) Pool Party is a RFA after this year looking for a raise. He doesn't fill any need on the Jets, we have loads of bottom six forwards waiting for their shot to break into the lineup. So he really doesn't offer anything to our team from a contract POV or positional need POV.

3) The only reason for us to roll the dice on him is if we got him at a low price and gambled he turns into a top six forward eventually.

Reactions: Snowman

north49er

Dec 20, 2017
They knew that Dubois is a big C who scored 40+goals and 99 pts in his draft year?
I wonder why TML passed on Laine.. they must have known something too.
Pulju may bust but we still have good 2 yrs to get there.
When it comes to passing, hindsight is 20/20. The world knew Mathews was #1. Puljujarvi was listed #3 on every 2016 draft ranking. It looks as though the Oilers took the easy road and grabbed him because it looked like he fell into their lap. Dubois wasn't rated in the top 4 on anyone's list. If the Oilers had taken their time at the draft they coulda/shoulda/woulda taken Tkachuk, Keller, Chychrun or Nylander etc. etc.

Reactions: Snowman

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
When it comes to passing, hindsight is 20/20. The world knew Mathews was #1. Puljujarvi was listed #3 on every 2016 draft ranking. It looks as though the Oilers took the easy road and grabbed him because it looked like he fell into their lap. Dubois wasn't rated in the top 4 on anyone's list. If the Oilers had taken their time at the draft they coulda/shoulda/woulda taken Tkachuk, Keller, Chychrun or Nylander etc. etc.

No scout was passing on JP at #4. The Oilers also heavily scouted Tkachuk and still went with JP.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton

C'mon man, hindsight is always 20/20.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Actually it’s pretty widely known that if JP didn’t slide the Oilers were taking Sergachev at 4.

That’s what’s being said now but leading up to the draft the Oilers were heavikynscouting Knights games and were open on their website and radio that they were scouting Tkachuk.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
The usual, make awful offer for a player because the player is a bust and no good. Other team wonders why you are making an offer for such a perceived shitty player.

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
The original trade offer is a joke. However, I am curious as to what would be a fair request from Oiler's fans. The Jet's are low on centers, so Lowry or Roslovic wouldn't be available. I think a re-signed Myers would be useful for them, but I'm not sure they could fit him in with their available cap space. Perreault similar cap situation and perhaps too old? If the Oilers only want prospects, then maybe Vesalaine, although at this point that trade might favor Edmonton. Other prospects would be Stanley or Appleton (actually, probably any other non defensemen prospects)

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
I don't think the Oilers are ready to give up on Puljujarvi yet. Looks like he will be back in the lineup tonight. For the most part when Puljujarvi is scratched he usually plays well once he is reinserted into the lineup. A guy with that size, skating ability, and shot, is not someone you give up on quickly. I see no reason for the Oilers to trade him, nor do I think they will. Even if he never becomes an elite offensive player, there are still tools there for him to become a very strong, effective player. I would not want the Oilers to trade him at this point, you still do not know what you have with him yet.

Reactions: zar

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
The original trade offer is a joke. However, I am curious as to what would be a fair request from Oiler's fans. The Jet's are low on centers, so Lowry or Roslovic wouldn't be available. I think a re-signed Myers would be useful for them, but I'm not sure they could fit him in with their available cap space. Perreault similar cap situation and perhaps too old? If the Oilers only want prospects, then maybe Vesalaine, although at this point that trade might favor Edmonton. Other prospects would be Stanley or Appleton (actually, probably any other non defensemen prospects)

Stanley was a bad pick. Friends don’t let friends take defensive defencemen in the first round. No interest at all.

Myers - re-signed or not - or Perreault are too expensive. Appleton has shown really well in the AHL but I’m not moving Puljujarvi for a package with him as the big piece.

My ask would be Roslovic. If that’s a no, then it’s a no. No sweat.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Lemieux + Appleton + 2019 2nd round pick + 2020 4th round pick

If we are going for quantity.

Vesalainen if we are going for quality.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Why pay what it costs to get other teams decent young players that aren't being brought along well? Makes much more sense to develop your own talent the way you want and have them slowly work their way up in the organization. Jets have had this figured out for while now.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Oiler fans aren't wrong when they say Petan and Comrie is a dog shit offerman they aren't worth much if anything combined.

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
If Ehlers gets moved, Laine's asking price goes up by another million.

I'd be interested in finding a fair deal for Pulju, but the Oilers shouldn't be selling low on him. Definitely some potential there if he is given the opportunity to develop properly.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
If Ehlers gets moved, Laine's asking price goes up by another million.

I'd be interested in finding a fair deal for Pulju, but the Oilers shouldn't be selling low on him. Definitely some potential there if he is given the opportunity to develop properly.

Evidently there is a massive gulf for what constitutes a fair deal between these teams, if Comrie and Petan is considered a reasonable opening offer.

Vimpelin Voima

Dec 1, 2016
Stockholm
I would do Vesalainen for Pulju. With a good coach he would likely succeed extremely well. Would that interest Edmonton fans? Petan could be included.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I could see Pool plus another signficant piece moving for Ehlers if the Jets have to shell out big dough for Laine and Trouba.

No way the Jets would move Ehlers to get Puljujärvi. The OP really makes no sense not enough value for Edmonton to give up on their guy.

More importantly there’s no fit or need for him on the Jets. If for some reason the Jets were moving Ehlers it should be for defensive help. Off topic.

The only reason anyone wants to connect Puljujärvi to the Jets would be to re-unite him with Laine.

Bad idea for both teams based on the cost needed vs what would be offered.

I have seen very little of Puljujärvi but have heard people speak of comparisons to Wheelers frame and style. Blake was a bit of a late bloomer. No need for the Oilers to cut bait on that yet. No need for the Jets to pay for that potential (unless they have a crystal ball guarantee).

It’s a simple what Jets fans are willing to give isn’t enough. Basically the same problem as just about every trade thread on HF.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad