Prospect Info: Jesse Kiiskinen -RW

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Finnish interview.
Jesse Kiiskinen, who writes one of the biggest breakthrough stories of the early season of the League, praises HPK head coach Mikko Manner's culture as more liberated than before. The new environment and atmosphere have helped the forward to become a key player in Pallokerho.

HPK's week that started in a model way took a bad turn in Espoo on Friday's League round, when Kiekko-Espoo beat the Hämeenlinna team at home with a score of 5-2. Jesse Kiiskinen, who became a key figure in the ball club's phased first season, banished the visitors' weak start to the match.- In the first set we were weak, but the second and third were definitely better. However, this is a scoring game, so it doesn't help to complain, Kiiskinen said.- In the first set, we made bad decisions with the puck. Especially at the beginning, we played really hard with the puck. Tuesday's Ilves game was excellent from us, but today we didn't come close to the level that the game required.

In addition to the activity of the attacking end, Kiiskinen was featured in the final set, where a dueling situation with Kiekko-Espoo's forward Heikki Liedes caused a big fistfight at the break. After the two wrestled for almost 20 seconds, Liedes vented his feelings to Kiiskinen as he skated to change, which the 19-year-old was not happy about.- I don't even know what he was thinking. It was preceded by a traditional scrambling situation, but he decided to catch me with a cross on the wing when I was going to change. After that he hit me across the face.- I hope the referee observer would do something about it, because no one can hit you in the face with a stick like that.

However, Kiiskinen's outburst about the situation remained at the level of thought, as the League's disciplinary delegation did not announce on Friday that the incident would proceed to a disciplinary hearing.

Self-confidence can be seen in and behind the points
Kiiskinen has opened his time in Hämeenlinna effectively. The league career point record has already been significantly broken, but the forward still keeps his feet on the ground.

- The beginning of the season has been ok. The first eight matches were difficult, but a much better period followed. I hope I can continue this pace, because of course playing is much more fun when you're going.

Most of Kiiskinen's points came after the chain changes at the beginning of the season, when the Gotholle player was placed alongside Roope Vesterinen and Heikki Huttunen in the club's 3rd line. The current grouping pleases the pier.

- It has been very good to play there. I have enjoyed playing with them.- Another very significant factor for our momentum is that our possession game started to work at the desired level, and that also helps me.

Kiiskinen has gained a lot of self-confidence after the opening of the taps. In addition to power, self-confidence also correlates with shooting statistics, as Kiiskinen has already shot 45 times at the goalkeeper this season. The number appears in a different light when you consider that in 38 regular season matches last season, Kiiskinen fired on goalkeepers only 58 times.

The increased responsibility partly explains the number, but Kiiskinen takes credit for the statistic as well.

- Of course, when I play in a different role here, I get more shots. However, I have developed comprehensively so that I know how to create a draw position for myself much better than before.

- If I have a place to shoot, I rarely fail to shoot.

The positive atmosphere of the continent was liberating

HPK's colorful early season culminated after just five regular season matches, when head coach Maso Lehtonen was fired, and Mikko Manner stepped behind the bench to replace him. From the 12 matches after the change of coach, HPK has collected points in seven, at the same time rising to the better side of the qualification line.

Kiiskinen sees a logical basis for the move.

- I believe that every team that changes a coach comes to a stage where everyone wants to show the new coach and earn more of his trust. It brings such a positive spin to the booth and also to the ice.With the change, the Hämeenlinna people's playbook also underwent changes.

- Mamba also simplified the game a lot. He has stressed that we need to bring the puck forward significantly more than before. We try to divide the times of playing puck so that we always attack for half a minute and defend for ten seconds.

Kiiskinen himself has enough words of praise for his new coach.

- I have liked him very much. He has brought good things to everyday work as well as to the booth, and the everyday level of requirements in everything he does is on display in the booth.

The young forward points to the significantly more liberated atmosphere in the Manner era as the most significant factors.

- Here, the cycle of positivity prevails, where you dare to succeed, but also to fail. I personally find it really important.

- For example, in training I like to try a lot of everything, always something new. Here, feedback is not immediately given that "hey, don't bother trying that", but here it is looked upon favorably. However, the purpose is to practice and test new things there, so here you can do it really openly. It also encourages me in the rink.

Red Wings in active contact
Both NHL and CHL drafted Kiiskinen ended up moving for the current season just over an hour's drive away. However, the transfer was not a complete solution for the forward, but options for the next step in his career were considered comprehensively.

- Let's say that there were a lot of options. We then narrowed down the ones that could be the best places to develop and ended up with the Club. It's good for me to be here, and at least for now I can say for sure that the transfer had a positive effect on my development.

Kiiskinen's NHL player rights were transferred from the Nashville Predators to the Detroit Red Wings at the spring transfer deadline. The 19-year-old says that the Red Wings keep active contact with their prospect.

- Yes, they actively receive messages. This week, the Red Wings' skill and development coaches visited Hämeenlinna for a couple of days. I went on the ice with them a couple of times, and we also watched a lot of videos. We're trying to polish the little details of my game, so to speak.

However, the NHL contract has yet to be signed, but the winger does not stress about it during the season.

- We haven't talked about it yet. The purpose now is to progress here in training, one day and one week at a time. After all, everyone is aiming to be able to put the name on paper next summer, but if that doesn't happen, then I'll just keep doing things.

A good friend helped me through a difficult time

At the start of last season, Kiiskinen was expected to be an important part of the Finland's U20 national team at the Under-20 World Championships in Gothenburg. However, the Pelicans forward was stranded on the beach after the last pitches, which added fuel to his flames.

- Yes, it would hurt when I dropped out of the camp. I returned to the League and my game started going much better, so that gave me motivation.

However, after 11 played matches, Kiiskinen was sent to the U20 SM series, which was a hard blow to his self-confidence. The forward shares thanks to his teammate for his support during a difficult time.

- Then it happened that I didn't get to play much, so it was quite difficult for the young boy when there was no responsibility. I have to give credit to my good friend Niklas Virtanen, with whom we practiced a lot together, especially during that time. It really helped me this season as well.

- On top of that, I was in the army for the summer, so when I returned to the ice during the training season, I got the feeling that I had really already trained for this in advance.

The winger, who turned 19 in August, is eligible to represent the youth national team for the last time at the World Championships at the turn of the year. One of the hottest names in the early season in the League is most likely on Lauri Mikkola's list for Ottawa's tournament, but Kiiskinen himself does not want to waste time on the idea.

- In a certain way, that tournament is on my mind, but I wouldn't like to think about them so much now. The invitation will come if it is meant to come.

Although Kiiskinen does not directly admit that he is waiting for an invitation, he is ready when one arrives.

- I'm always ready if someone tells me to go on the field, Kiiskinen concludes with a laugh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad