Player Discussion Jesperi Kotkaniemi - Part 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
First off let me say i was and still am a pro-Kotkaniemi before we even drafted him. But lets get real over here, He’s the same player he was just before the season was cancelled. He’s a 20 year old kid who’s still very raw, needs work on his skating technique and needs to get much stronger. I’m sorry to break it down for you dreamers but all those praise from Julien, Danault, Gallagher, etc are ego boosters. They know what a confident Kotkaniemi can bring to the table and god knows they need his skillset in the play ins, but at the end of the day he still has the same flaws, his skating hasn’t magically got way better, he stated himself he had 4-5 skating sessions. But yeah a Healthy physically AND mentally KK is still one of our best player. I can’t wait for this whole stupid Play-ins thing to be over so we can have a solid draft and have KK going back to his off season trainings and put in the work into becoming the player i think he can be. We have a good one fellows, but patience is key here.

So are you saying it's unrealistic for 19-20 year olds to come back from the offseason stronger, faster and more mature? :huh:

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
He looked kinda pissed during the media availability yesterday...No more happy McSmiley. Hope he takes out his frustration by proving the doubters wrong and popping 50-60 points next year.

Reactions: Gsus

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
He looked kinda pissed during the media availability yesterday...No more happy McSmiley. Hope he takes out his frustration by proving the doubters wrong and popping 50-60 points next year.
He looked happier in the AHL, now I can't quite put my finger on what the difference is but I think it's got a cul-de-sac and was in Jurassic Park

and King of the Hill...

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
I wonder the hype on Kotkaniemi if he played Liiga at 18 and AHL at 19.... Would be completely different perception

What bugs me the most is he didn't dominate a development league and then we leap frog him to the 3C role at 18...

Regardless, the real Kotkaniemi will stand up from the 21-23 age range. It's just not the conservative development path other teams take
I agree. Lehkonen came here at 21 and put 18 goals. Pretty sure he wouldnt made these goals if he arrive at 18 years old. Right now, KK is pretty raw and came too soon for evaluate his projection

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Pretty sure Barkov and Kopitar didn't get this kind of attention at 18 and 19. Habs fans and Quebec media can't help our selves. We like to talk hockey and we like to be engaged. Kotkaniemi will either drown or excel with this situation.
That has to be one of the most most f***ed up texts I have ever read about player development.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
hard to say but with improved strength should hopefully give him more confidence there. It's of course going to be very interesting to see what kind of progress he can make over the next few years.
We’ve stooged this kid so far. What are his options when his ELC runs out? This is f***ing embarrassing... again!

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
That has to be one of the most most f***ed up texts I have ever read about player development.

Yeah, pressure comes with any NHL team. It's as if media and fan pressure are bigger influences on player development than the actual team in charge of the development. Seems like a way (excuse) to absolve the putrid development team of the sly era.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I mean what of the media in regards to Kotkaniemi? He had 8 points last season. They should be asking questions and grilling him. Those are putrid numbers - Nate Thompson produced at the same rate.

Reactions: angusyoung
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad