Player Discussion Jesperi Kotkaniemi - Part 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
How Jesperi Kotkaniemi worked himself to playoff relevance for the Canadiens

He’s playing better than anyone could have reasonably expected. In four games and 43:12 of five-on-five ice time against the Penguins, Kotkaniemi had a Corsi for percentage of 64.2 percent, the best on the team by a pretty wide margin (Lehkonen was second at 57.9 percent). He was on the ice for 10 high-danger scoring chances by the Canadiens and two by the Penguins. His expected goals allowed in that time was 0.47, again, best on the team by a decent margin (Paul Byron was second at 0.76). He was one of four Canadiens players – Byron, Lehkonen and Shea Weber were the others – who played in all four games of the series and were not on the ice for a single five-on-five goal against.

Take it easy on us KK jeez
I bought myself an Athletic subscription just to read this article, was not dissapointed.

Reactions: Jesperi Suzuki

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I don’t know if this has been here before but according to his father he trained six days a week, did 100’s squats every week to make his lower body stronger.

Got help from ex Olympic skater Hänninen and ex pro coach Raimo Summanen.

Started training the moment he got back to Finland, wanted to show what he’s made of

Last edited:

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I don’t know if this has been here before but according to his father he trained six days a week, 100 squats every week to make his lower body stronger.

Got the help from ex Olympic skater Hänninen and ex pro coach Raimo Summanen.

Started training the moment he got back to Finland, wanted to show what he’s made of

You got an article?

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
The Habs made a massive mistake by passing in QH.

Still not 100% convinced on Hughes myself. Sure he's playing great but he's slight and a waterbug D-man, Want to see him plastered into the boards once or twice and see if he becomes more skittish. See if it affects his game, see if it makes him more Gaudreau-esque.

I think Poehling lacks skill to be in the top 6, if he’s ever in the top 6 you either have injuries or you’re clearly lacking depth.

He’s going to struggle to make an impact in the NHL IMO.

I'd just love him to become a big-time #3 Centre, Danault's replacement in a few years. He's got solid skating, good size and fairly high hockey IQ.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
100 push-ups. 100 sit-ups. 100 squats. 10km running. Every signe day. Like Saitama.

The One Beast Man.

upload_2020-8-9_15-46-31.png

Reactions: HabsFan76

TopTenPlayz

Jun 6, 2014

He’s playing better than anyone could have reasonably expected. In four games and 43:12 of five-on-five ice time against the Penguins, Kotkaniemi had a Corsi for percentage of 64.2 percent, the best on the team by a pretty wide margin (Lehkonen was second at 57.9 percent). He was on the ice for 10 high-danger scoring chances by the Canadiens and two by the Penguins. His expected goals allowed in that time was 0.47, again, best on the team by a decent margin (Paul Byron was second at 0.76). He was one of four Canadiens players – Byron, Lehkonen and Shea Weber were the others – who played in all four games of the series and were not on the ice for a single five-on-five goal against.

That's damn impressive for a guy playing 25 mins a game

Reactions: DAChampion

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Guy was on the ice for like 80% of our es goals in his limited minutes and he wasnt on the ice for a single ES goal yet people say Suzuki was better. Mind boggling.

Reactions: KappoTheGoat

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Guy was on the ice for like 80% of our es goals in his limited minutes and he wasnt on the ice for a single ES goal yet people say Suzuki was better. Mind boggling.

Regardless of who was better in the series against the Pens, can we just let it sink in that we have two 20 year old centres with fantastic upside playing important minutes? When was the last time we had two centres of this age and quality playing in the NHL?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Regardless of who was better in the series against the Pens, can we just let it sink in that we have two 20 year old centres with fantastic upside playing important minutes? When was the last time we had two centres of this age and quality playing in the NHL?

Is it not lovely that both are delivering on expectations. Finally some positive.

It really is. Just sucks that people hate Timmins so much that theyd be this dishonest.

Reactions: aresknights

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I was more impressed with Suzuki then Kotka, both looked great which is very good news for us, it's what we want, so really who cares who was better as this organization likely goes no where in the future unless both can be very good NHLers as so much hinges on them since our U-22/prospects at forward is just so thin right now. We so badly need the big 3 of Suzuki, Kotka, Caufield to all hit the high end of their ceilings even more so now that we lost any shot at 1st OA baring some insane GM trading the pick to us. Just need Suzuki to work on being more explosive and Kotka to work on the skating, getting the confidence to shoot more, could be very fun in a few years seeing them as a 1-2 punch hopefully racking up the points with Caufield potting goals a plenty.

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
Plus lead the team in Corsi % with 65.7% if i remember correctly. Also Among the top 5 in hits among all the teams.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Still not 100% convinced on Hughes myself. Sure he's playing great but he's slight and a waterbug D-man, Want to see him plastered into the boards once or twice and see if he becomes more skittish. See if it affects his game, see if it makes him more Gaudreau-esque.

I'd just love him to become a big-time #3 Centre, Danault's replacement in a few years. He's got solid skating, good size and fairly high hockey IQ.
I’m confident he will never, ever, be able to adequately replace Danault. It isn’t happening imo.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

DAChampion

May 28, 2011

Did Suzuki not face greater competition?

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Did Suzuki not face greater competition?

He sure did. He had to face either Crosby or Malkin most of the time. Also killed penalties.
Over 20 mins per game to KK’s 13. Suzuki was a bigger factor in the series.

people can’t see the forest through the trees.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
"Dating back to last summer, Kotkaniemi has had minor knee surgery, a core injury at the end of training camp, a concussion in December and then the spleen injury in March.".

Man just think about that, he overcame all that and is performing like he is right now, i mean it was like people who critizised him as hard as they did forgot about everything the kid was going through, this is one hella tough kid you have MTL, i'm super happy he plays for you because hockey means so much to Montreal.

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
He sure did. He had to face either Crosby or Malkin most of the time. Also killed penalties.
Over 20 mins per game to KK’s 13. Suzuki was a bigger factor in the series.

people can’t see the forest through the trees.
And in that limited icetime KK was on the ice for 10 high danger scoring chances, plus in game four his icetime was increased no?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad